new bike... help?- Mtbr.com
    Welcome to the Gem...

Jabberwocky...WiP

so i had a peace 9r over the summer... someone stole it about a month ago... bummer. i need a new one, and i was wondering what to do. these are the things i want out of it
    • 29" wheels
    • 21" size... i'm 6'4", so i need a good size bike. my 9r was a 19"... i'd like to go a little bigger this time.
    • single speed (obviously...)
    • disc brakes
    • i would prefer a shock up front... maybe a reba?
    • i've been looking at the eno hubs... the double/double has my eye... as i converted the 9r to a twingle... so i'm all about options.
    • solid construction... sort of duh, but sometimes i need to get some air...
    • under $700 or so...
    i sent a message to bikesdirect... seeing if i could get some sort of motobecane fantom / outcast hybrid... we'll see how that goes.

what are some other options i have? i'm pretty new to the whole custom thing... but super excited to get started!
    Last edited by EDDIE JONES; 01-14-2008 at 03:25 PM. Reason: request of member

Welcome to the Gem...
    methinks i'm going to go with the Vassago Jabberwocky... it just seems right. the wet cat geometry did it for me i think... lol. i've been doing research all day long. wonder if there's anyplace to test ride it in buffalo NY? there's ~$400

i don't have enough for a suspension fork... how about carbon fiber? anything ~$100?

mechanical disc brakes... options? size? price?

eno double/double, crank and hubs for sure... there's what, $300 or so?

that doesn't leave my options open for... anything. looks like i'll be going over budget... oh well. it'll be worth it, as long as this one doesn't get stolen too... i'd cry. seriously...

WTB rims, tires, and seat probably... would the king headset be worth it?

handlebars... some more carbon fiber, maybe? WTB again? what should i look for here?

any help is appreciated. i don't know where to start, but i guess here is pretty good. thanks, in advance

Welcome to the Gem...
    beuller?

beuller??

i know this is quite the broad question... but not too much to ask. if i knew more about the stuff... well, i wouldn't need to ask then. i do know about other stuff... in other forums and i'm always happy to help newcomers. no love for me, though? meh... i'll give it some more time.

happy cycling...

bui
    Ain't afraid of no ghosts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mallanaga
    methinks i'm going to go with the Vassago Jabberwocky... it just seems right. the wet cat geometry did it for me i think... lol. i've been doing research all day long. wonder if there's anyplace to test ride it in buffalo NY? there's ~$400I have no experience with this frame...check the Vassago forum (if there is one...I'm too lazy to look)

i don't have enough for a suspension fork... how about carbon fiber? anything ~$100?
    I doubt it....even used. Nashbar has one for like $150 ish I think, and they're running some holiday specials. I personally like my Surly 1x1 rigid fork...affordable, comfortable, and riding rigid is great. Maybe get a Surly Karate Monkey fork for cheap and ride that for a while?

mechanical disc brakes... options? size? price? Avid BB7s are going pretty cheap, something like 50/set at Pricepoint. Can't go wrong with those....as for size, do you have lots of long steep downhills?

eno double/double, crank and hubs for sure... there's what, $300 or so? Pricy, but nice. You're going to have to sacrifice in other areas if you keep the $700 budget.

that doesn't leave my options open for... anything. looks like i'll be going over budget... oh well. it'll be worth it, as long as this one doesn't get stolen too... i'd cry. seriously...How did it get stolen (just out of curiosity)? I may be obsessive, but both of my bikes are kept in my apartment, and if I leave for a weekend to go home, they're either taken with me or locked up. On regular days, only my commuter has pedals on it, and the others sit out of sight in a closet.

WTB rims, tires, and seat probably... would the king headset be worth it? Bling is good, but I like my CC S2 headset, and it only cost me $20 (yes, I know there are other reasons for getting a King, but if you're trying to stay in budget...

handlebars... some more carbon fiber, maybe? WTB again? what should i look for here?If budget is an issue, I'd skimp here....go for a regular aluminum bar until you can afford a carbon one. It's an easy part to upgrade, and I don't know if there's enough of a performance difference to justify buying a CF bar right off the bat (if you can't afford it.

any help is appreciated. i don't know where to start, but i guess here is pretty good. thanks, in advance
    See above in red

beuller?

beuller??

i know this is quite the broad question... but not too much to ask. if i knew more about the stuff... well, i wouldn't need to ask then. i do know about other stuff... in other forums and i'm always happy to help newcomers. no love for me, though? meh... i'll give it some more time.

happy cycling...
    It's probably because you can search and find most of the answers...or something.

You ran this race with no real heart
    Yeah right back at the start
    You'd already lost it

mtbr member

Buy Used!

With a $700 budget, I would recommend getting a used bike. I hear you can get great deals if they are stolen! But seriously, trying to build a bike with a $700 budget means you are looking for mail order markdowns from probably 8 or 9 different places, potentially spending $100 just on shipping parts.

Check ebay and mtbr classifieds for a bike from someone who went full custom and is now selling their old ride. You can get a decent combination of parts, upgrade what you want, when you need to, and begin plotting for a move to full custom in a few years.
    I just went that route myself and am now selling the previous bike, but it runs on 26" wheels as I am only 6' 3" and I have lots of other bikes I could change wheels with.

I would agree with the recommendation for the Avid mechanicals to save some dough, but would recommend the Truvativ single speed cranks, a set of factory-built wheels available from a variety of advertisers in bike magazines for about $150/set, and a chain tensioner unless you are using a frame with an EBB (my preference). While I love Chris King headsets, I would follow other recommendations and avoid that extravagence on a $700 bike.

For my other bikes, I usually look for what's on sale and then check other's reviews in MTBR and bike magazines. When I built up a Seven Verve titanium single speed, I spared almost no expense and selected the best stuff out there.

Good luck and have fun with the process!

Welcome to the Gem...
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/162...-Build-Kit.htm

???

$560 for everything... seems like a decent setup.

apparently i'm not ready for the enos... and no king headset for me. i had a truvativ crank on my GT and the left pedal fell off though... /shrug.

thanks for the input. honestly though, i think the $700 budget is a bit unrealistic. i'm going to shoot for about $1000ish. i should be able to get some quality parts then. i'm looking at $530 for just the frame and fork, so $470 for the rest... /sigh. $1100? lol. i was never good with this budget stuff... i like quality stuff. that way i can be assured it's not going to break, and the upkeep will be that much cheaper in the long run!

i'll keep you guys posted... if not for your sake, then for mine

~cheers

Welcome to the Gem...
    quick question... on avid brakes. for the same ~$50 i can get
    • '07 BB7s
    • '08 BB5s

are the BB7s better no matter how you look at it? did they make that much of an improvement from the '07 BB5s to care?

i'm personally thinking the '07 BB7s... but how does the brakepad stuff work? will i be able to find compatible brakepads 2 years down the road?

bui
    Ain't afraid of no ghosts
    quick question... on avid brakes. for the same ~$50 i can get
    • '07 BB7s
    • '08 BB5s

are the BB7s better no matter how you look at it? did they make that much of an improvement from the '07 BB5s to care?

i'm personally thinking the '07 BB7s... but how does the brakepad stuff work? will i be able to find compatible brakepads 2 years down the road?
    Go with the BB7s. The dual adjustment is very nice.

Also, there's a thread in the "Deals" forum about BB7s, apparently you can haggle and such down to $41 (not at Pricepoint, but other sites). I got mine for $60 and they were a good deal then. $41 or even $50 is still great.

I don't think brakepads will be a problem. But then again, I don't know too much about them other than they stop my bike...check the Brakes forum for specifics, in case someone there knows.

You ran this race with no real heart
    Yeah right back at the start
    You'd already lost it

Mtbr
    If you could stretch your budget a little, I would go with a 2008 Gary Fisher Rig(~$1100-1200)

Aluminum frame with crazy welds(gusseted, hydroformed, etc.)
    Fox, yes Fox Shock
    2008 BB7 Brakes
    Great paint scheme
    G2 Geometry
    XL with Ti seatpost-reflectors- 25.4 lbs
    If you have any how it ride questions PM me:
    I have ridden a Jabberwocky Rigid, A Haro Mary with a Reba, and 2007 Rig, a 2007 Ferrous SS, and a few others, limited expierience as it may be on some.
    Here are some pictures of it:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2008 Rig

Welcome to the Gem...
    thanks for the heads up on the rig... i think i'm in love with the jabber's geometry. never sat on it myself, but from what everyone says... it just seems like i'm going to love it. what are your thoughts, considering you have ridden one?

anyway... i did some digging and i came up with a proposed setup for my new bike. went outside of the budget by... a bunch. i'm going to try to get a bulk discount at my LBS for 10% - 20% all the components... i can't buy the frame there. here's the list, anyway:

what do you guys think? any places i skimped? any places i could still save some dough? i got my prices mostly from pricepoint. think i have a winner? hope so... i'll be pulling the trigger next week sometime.

Mtbr
    I really liked the Vassago also, I just didn't decide to get it. Two things I would change about that build, A) Go with SD7 levers instead of FR5 so that you have a BB7=SD7 setup, and B) maybe by some better wheels used, like laserdisc ss, bontrager duster, or something lighter than the 2450 Gram Spec'd weight of the Speed Discs.
    2008 Rig

mtbr member
    Looks like a fun build. I'm not sure you will be saving anything, but I'd ditch the PC-1 (single speed) chain. I busted two of those AND they were too wide to fit through the Surly tensioner cage. (I now run without a tensioner). I'd just go with a nice 8-9 speed chain. I've had great luck and many miles on PC-48s and PC-58s.

Good luck....AND POST PICS when you're done!
    Graeme Hunt Design - www.graemehuntdesign.com

poser Administrator
    you might want to look at getting a cromo fork like the salsa one. Nice and compliant and will cut at least $100 offa your estimate.

don't forget a rear cog.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Two more you might want to consider, both around $1000. If budget is a big concern you'll get more bang for your buck buying a complete bike instead of buying your own parts.

Haro Mary
    http://www.harobikes.com/mtb/bikes/mary_ss.php

Jamis Exile
    http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/bikes/...08exile29.html

Oh and a third in that price range also...

Kona Unit 29
    http://www.konaworld.com/bikes/2k7/UNIT29/index.html

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    +one for the Haro Mary. You might be able to find an 07 for as low as $650 this time of year. Very nice ride out of the box.

For a fork, reviewers on this board say the $95 steel Salsa fork rides better than carbon if you're in rocks. Carbon is better for killing the buzz.

Welcome to the Gem...
    meh... i think i'm going to stick with the carbon fork. not sure if i'm going with the on-one or the white brothers... but i want it for the vibration dampening qualities, and the lightness.

i think i'll build my girl up a haro mary next summer. custom paint job and put her name on there instead =P Haro "Tiffany SS". that'll get me some brownie points...

i just came into some extra money, and i think i'm going to go eno cranks and hubs. single-speed.net is having some uber deals... cranks for sure... hubs i'm still debating. i'm 6'4 on this 20" jabber... what crank length do i get? 170mm, 175mm, 180mm? i'm thinking 170mm so my legs don't come up as high on the up swing. yes? some insight here would be appreciated. i realize, the longer the crank the easier it is to pedal, but i can make up for that with gear ratios, right?

i plan on running 32:16. pretty sure...

anyway, what bottom bracket should i pair the eno's with? the jabber has a 68mm BB. truvative? FSA? Shimano? i'd like to keep that in the $40 price range. phil wood? wtf...
    Last edited by Mallanaga; 12-02-2007 at 05:39 PM.

Welcome to the Gem...
    update. going with 175mm cranks. for the BB... i'm just going to get something from my LBS. i'll trust their judgment.

going with the WI hubs too... ENO in the back, M16 up front. couldn't find any reviews on the M16... but it's new enough that i suppose it's still a well kept secret. the specs look great, and their older stuff got some solid reviews. i'll let you guys know how it pans out =)

i think i'm suckering myself into a chris king headset too. parts with bearings, i just want to install them and forget they're even there for the life of the bike... and then some. that's the reason i'm spending a bit more on the driveline than i would have liked. there's something that needs to be said about reliability... true story.

might as well get a brooks B17 while i'm at it... /shrug. why skimp on comfort? i can't wait to post some pics of this thing. it's going to look so sharp. black magic with the chrome accents. /drool... i can see it in my head... it's driving me crazy!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    interested to see the build when it's complete. should be a killer setup.

Welcome to the Gem...
    thanks verb. i'm getting very close now... i have the money, i start the ordering process today and tomorrow. my frame is supposed to be be available sometime this week...

few questions. anyone use the titec hellbent seatpost, or stem? i see very conflicting pictures of them when i go tooling around the internet. is the seatpost all bent up, or is it just at the top? hopefully i get what what i want... the one on titec's website shows no bendage. /shrug. the stem has 8* rise. i hope that doesn't bother me.

i'm getting close!! hopefully i hear from the frame dealer this week. i'd be sooper pissed if i had to wait another week... considering shipping is going to be at least a week, i imagine. /sigh.
    Ibis Tranny 29

Welcome to the Gem...
    OK... so check this out. i'm about to start ordering my parts... and i see this bike show up in the classifieds. http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...t=14342&cat=38

riddle me this. would it be worth it to buy that bike, and strip all the parts off it? do you think the frame / fork / gears and shifting stuff would sell well enough to bother?

i think it could really save me a lot of time and money. i would still be ordering my jabber and fork, but i could build it pretty much instantly. then i could take my sweet ass time getting the proper wheels built and all that jazz.

opinions... please. i have my finger on the trigger, but i can't decide for myself if it's the right thing to do. i'm worried now that that G2 geometry is out, noone will want this 2006, and i'll get stuck with it. i'm almost sure that it's a good idea though.

help!!
    Ibis Tranny 29

poser Administrator
    Ugh. that ad throws up a lot of warning signs. No post user. Too good to be true deal. I mean king headset, XO components and a reba for 725. Seems too good to be true…

be careful.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

Welcome to the Gem...
    /sigh

that's almost what i was thinking. i tend to have a lot of faith in people, though, so had you not said anything, i definitely wasn't thinking along that route.

how do i 'be careful' in a situation like this... ****. he offers local pick up. that's got to be a good sign. i'd say that he ships first, but people only agree to that in trades, for the most part. maybe he just wants to check out that new geometry, like i was saying before. i'll talk to him and see what's up.

other than it being on the possible sketchy side of things... is this idea worth carrying out?
    Ibis Tranny 29

poser Administrator
    /sigh

that's almost what i was thinking. i tend to have a lot of faith in people, though, so had you not said anything, i definitely wasn't thinking along that route.

how do i 'be careful' in a situation like this... ****. he offers local pick up. that's got to be a good sign. i'd say that he ships first, but people only agree to that in trades, for the most part. maybe he just wants to check out that new geometry, like i was saying before. i'll talk to him and see what's up.

other than it being on the possible sketchy side of things... is this idea worth carrying out?

contact him. pay securely cause if it is legit it is a fantastic deal. Even if you don't dig on the fisher you can always sell it later and get a new frame or whatever. It is a killer deal.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I was thinking the exact same thing...buy it, keep what i want and sell the other crap. too bad i'm low on the flow situation at the moment. Like rockcrusher pointed out, beware of the too good to be true scam. if it's legit, pull the trigger. if the steerer is a decent length on the reba, you could recoup the majority of the money spent from that.

mtbr member
    Get the serial # and his general location.... could be HOT. Of course, could also be a college student who discovered that sorority chicks think biking is ghey and he just wants to put some bling wheels & a fart exhaust on his civic which all adults think is ghey. It's just a no win for this poor sap

banned
    fart exhaust
    I love that term....had me cracking up

Mtbr
    I say buy it strip it, ride it, do whatever
    2008 Rig

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EDDIE JONES
    I love that term....had me cracking up
    Ha... usually it's my biking skills that make people laugh!

Welcome to the Gem...
    BAH! bikes sold. found another candidate... sold.

/sigh

i'm buyin' stuff now...
    Ibis Tranny 29

mtbr member
    Check out SASO forks on Ebay - exact same fork as the WB carbon only $100 cheaper. I have been very happy with mine.

Welcome to the Gem...
    components in the mail... jabbers are still on backorder. ugh. i'll be able to get my wheels built in a timely fashion anyway.

crankpuller. as for the prices... the WB carbon is to be had for only $299 when purchased with a vassago frame. can't beat that with a stick. /shrug.

they said they'll be in stock mid january. not soon enough, if you ask me.
    Ibis Tranny 29

Welcome to the Gem...
    with ENO cranks... jabber frame... what size BB do i need?

i'm going either white industries BB (if i can even get my paws on one) or shimano UN54.

anybody out there with a perfect chainline on the jabber and some ENO? how do i make this happen?

thank you all... again. you're a vast pool of knowledge. i just like swimming in it =P

PS. opted not to buy a parts bike. i just don't think it would save me enough money to care. thanks for the input though =)
    Ibis Tranny 29

Welcome to the Gem...
    the first of many components have arrived!! everyone needs ENO parts... and you need to buy them from Ernesto over at single-speed.net

i'm really impressed with the quality of this stuff. just being able to hold something in you hand and say to yourself... 'nice'... is quite the feeling.

and so it begins...
    Ibis Tranny 29

Welcome to the Gem...
    i'm standing mary on her head. seems like it's a better feel. mind you, i have no bike to compare the feeling, but it seems like this is a better position.

anyone have thoughts, one way or the other?

lots more parts in, today. Frame should be here in a week or so. it's close. veeeery close.

oh... and if anyone wanted to know, 113mm BB for the jabber with ENO cranks.
    Ibis Tranny 29

mtbr member
    I'm confused by one thing in your build.

You went with an eccentric rear hub for a singlespeed specific frame? Why? Or is that a non-eccentric White Industries SS hub?

Welcome to the Gem...
    ENO hubs were originally non-eccentric. then some eric guy posed the idea to them, and wahlah, they came into existence.

that hub is an ENO, but is indeed non-eccentric. the ENO part just ensures that it is single speed specific. the front hub is an M16 from WI, which is just their mountain bike disk hub.

so, yeah. that's the only thing that is confusing?? i'll take that as a compliment
    Ibis Tranny 29

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I rode the Cannondale, very nice.

Welcome to the Gem...
    cannondale? wtf... anyway.

i'm getting sooooooooo close. it's killing me!!

should have my wheels built up by tuesday or wednesday. hopefully i'm rolling by wednesday night.
    Ibis Tranny 29

Welcome to the Gem...
    DONE!

cheers, my friends. thank you for all the help in choosing components, and the like. i really appreciate it, and i honestly don't think i could have done it w/o all of your help.

it rides like... it's magic. i really had no idea just how nice this bike was going to ride / handle. i've only ridden it up and down my road a few times, but let me tell you... i can't wait to hit the trails! omg...
    Ibis Tranny 29

Members who have read this thread: 0