New bike...a couple of questions...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New bike...a couple of questions...

My wife just got her first Singlespeed (a Bianchi SASS) and I've got a couple of silly questions...my SS uses a EBB for chain tension and I just converted a 9speed wheel using a conversion kit, so the whole track end and freewheel thing on my wife's SASS is new to me. I think I've got a handle on it but figured I'd ask -

1. If I want to change out the stock 16t cog, I need to replace the whole freewheel correct? I'm guessing she'll be more comfortable running 32/18.

2. What's the proper procedure for tensioning the chain? I found one thread that sort of explains things...the chain tug is designed to prevent the wheel from slipping forward...but does it serve a purpose when tensioning the chain? ...and would switching to a 18t freewheel require new tugs? (I read that the stock tug are kind of wimpy.)

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    depending on how hilly your normal rides are, and what shape she is in, an 18t or 20t freewheel probably.

to tension the chain, you just slide the axle nuts back in the horizontal dropouts (and secure with the tug after cranking down the axle nuts)

you may have to install a new, longer chain, or add links to the old chain, to make it fit the larger freewheel.

mtbr member
    The hub is splined so no freewheel, get an 18 tooth cog and then remove the old one (lock ring) like you do on a geared bike.

You do need the tugs, they help get the right tension and keep it there. I swapped the ones on my SASS for Surley Tugs and had no troubles ever. Enjoy, she's got a fun new bike for sure!!
    Black Sheep...where it'ss at!!
    "I'm not known for my patience. Patience is a polite quality and often appropriate, but it rarely gets things done. Impatience, however, is the hunger for results and intolerance for excuses and delays." LA

Interlectchewal

Freewheel

Quote Originally Posted by miSSionary
    The hub is splined so no freewheel, get an 18 tooth cog and then remove the old one (lock ring) like you do on a geared bike.
    I don't think so. As far as I know, the W.U.S.S. is the first and only Bianchi singlespeed with a cassette hub. The G.U.S.S. had a White Industries freewheel. The rest had Shimano.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tvrbob86
    I don't think so. As far as I know, the W.U.S.S. is the first and only Bianchi singlespeed with a cassette hub. The G.U.S.S. had a White Industries freewheel. The rest had Shimano.
    Dude, sorry, I have a 2005 Bianchi SASS and the production WTB wheelset on it takes a splined cog. I also know it is how EVERY SASS I have seen is.
    Black Sheep...where it'ss at!!
    "I'm not known for my patience. Patience is a polite quality and often appropriate, but it rarely gets things done. Impatience, however, is the hunger for results and intolerance for excuses and delays." LA

mtbr member
    Alright...now I'm confused! I just assumed it was a Shimano BMX freewheel (like tvrbob86, I knew the GUSS came with a White Industries FW, so just assumed the SASS had a freewheel as well)...I snapped a quick picture...not sure if anyone is going to be able to tell from this. If it is splined, what tool would I need to remove the lockring?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Interlectchewal
    Quote Originally Posted by miSSionary
    Dude, sorry, I have a 2005 Bianchi SASS and the production WTB wheelset on it takes a splined cog. I also know it is how EVERY SASS I have seen is.
    My mistake. No need to be sorry, dude. Dude, I'm the one who should be sorry. And I am. I guess they switched it for '05. The '04 S.A.S.S. had a Spot rear hub. With a freewheel. But I guess you've never seen an '04 S.A.S.S.

Interlectchewal
    Quote Originally Posted by GregC
    Alright...now I'm confused! I just assumed it was a Shimano BMX freewheel (like tvrbob86, I knew the GUSS came with a White Industries FW, so just assumed the SASS had a freewheel as well)...I snapped a quick picture...not sure if anyone is going to be able to tell from this. If it is splined, what tool would I need to remove the lockring?
    That definitely looks like a lockring and cog. Someone more familiar with lockrings can tell you which wrench to use. It looks to me as if it would use something like this.

Is that a WTB hub or a Spot? Does your frame say Bianchi tubing or Dedacciai? Are your stem and seatpost Easton or Titec? I'm guessing WTB, Bianchi, and Easton. But I've been wrong before.

Members who have read this thread: 0