New bike build, recomendations on gearing...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New bike build, recomendations on gearing...

Im going to be running 180mm eno cranks, I am 6'2 and Have rode bmx from 10-20, now 5 years later and a little weaker I want to know your opinions on gearing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The million dollar question. Where do you live and what kind of terrain will you be riding?

Quote Originally Posted by need4gforce
    Im going to be running 180mm eno cranks, I am 6'2 and Have rode bmx from 10-20, now 5 years later and a little weaker I want to know your opinions on gearing.

mtbr member
    Yeh i thought about that after I made the post.

I live in Northern VA, I hope to ride to the store and back sometimes like 1 mile lol, and I would like to try out the trails at fountain head park.

mtbr member
    I run 33/17 on my niner. it doesn't spin out too easily on the flats and i can climb most hills i've ridden, but thats if you have the muscles for it. lol. i started out with 33/20 and it was nice for climbing, but the flats u'd spin out way too easily.

mtbr member
    HMMMMMM....Eno chaing rings only come 32 or 34 they dont make a 33 those bastards....
    Right now I havnt orderd a chainring but I do have either a 18 or a 20 tooth cog to use.
    Im thinking money savings wise it would be better to go with the 34..... try 34x18 and if im to much of a ***** I will put the 20t on and see how that is....

mtbr member
    the 34/18 will be a close ratio to the 33/17 i run. or you could go with a 32/17 which is about the same ratio as the 34/18

fnInt(1/x^2,x,0,1)
    I've ridden Fountainhead (though on my geared bike). If you're planning on SS there you better try 32/20 first since you've not ridden much. Some of the climbs out there are pretty steep and loose.

Members who have read this thread: 0