A Nekkid Flight!- Mtbr.com
    Life is Go0d!

A Nekkid Flight!

I dearly love my Flight, but the slurpee blue color had to go!!!
    Here she is in her birthday suit! Raw Sanko Steel, protected
    with http://kgcoatings.com
    I added the nickname decals.

A Nekkid Flight!-flight.jpg

A Nekkid Flight!-flight2.jpg

A Nekkid Flight!-flight3.jpg

A Nekkid Flight!-flight4.jpg

A Nekkid Flight!-flight5.jpg
    The only regrets in life, are the risks you didn't take.

Life is Go0d!

A couple more..

Here she is, again
    A Nekkid Flight!-flight6.jpg

Her native environment..

A Nekkid Flight!-flight7.jpg

mtbr member
    Looks really good. Great job.

Life is Go0d!
    Thanks... It was fun. :-)

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    what did you use to strip it? I am thinking of just masking off spots and adding color to the blue, but I dig what you did! I dare not copy that, but a partial strip of the paint in sections would be cool.

Well done

Life is Go0d!
    I used Klean Strip, its like 8 or 9 bucks a can at Walmart. Its does a fairly good job. I used half a can on the whole bike. A good quality brass wire brush, and a scraper.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thnx,, I may have to play with some designs. Did you spray on the gunkote? I wonder if there is another product that comes in a spray can so I can forgo the renting of a sprayer..

Life is Go0d!
    Quote Originally Posted by master of the wheel
    what did you use to strip it? I am thinking of just masking off spots and adding color to the blue, but I dig what you did! I dare not copy that, but a partial strip of the paint in sections would be cool.

Well done
    If what you plan to do is add color to the existing one, no stripping is necessary. Just mask off the area you want, sand, prime, color, and clearcoat. :-)

Training for vacation
    Which exact product did you use from KB?

mtbr member
    That is nice!! Way to go.
    Just get out and ride!

is buachail foighneach me
    I read it as "Nekkid Fight"..... not what i was hoping for.

Life is Go0d!
    Quote Originally Posted by gte819s
    Which exact product did you use from KB?
    I used KG coating K PHOS pre treat, followed by 2409 clear... :-)

mtbr member
    Very inspiring! My brother in law has a nice large paint booth, although he has no way to bake a frame so I would stick with the standard versions. Redoing my Inbred with could make a nice winter project.

What volume of each did it take for your frame?

Life is Go0d!
    A half pint maybe. . if that... the coating is very thin... I have enough left to do it again.. They also have air dry products, if those interest you. I should have used that.. as finding a big enough oven was a pain..

mtbr member
    How much did all of this cost you?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mo0se
    A half pint maybe. . if that... the coating is very thin... I have enough left to do it again.. They also have air dry products, if those interest you. I should have used that.. as finding a big enough oven is a pain..
    Yep, I was just looking at that on their website. The bake on is probably a good bit tougher and would be ideal, but their air dry product still sounds better than regular paint.

Life is Go0d!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    How much did all of this cost you?
    $9 for stripper. $58 For products from KG coatings. $6 for decals. That big bottle of K PHOS pre treat was almost as much as the coating.. but worth it.

My spoon is too big!
    That looks great! I may do something similar once my paint gets thrashed.
    "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
    J. R. R. Tolkien

Out spokin'
    Nicely done! Looks really good... the best looking Flight I've seen.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    I was actually wondering how a raw flight would look earlier today. Very nice job.

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbryant2
    Looks really good. Great job.
    Yes, love it!
    Get off the couch and ride!

Life is Go0d!
    Thanks for the kind words everyone! It was fun, and relatively cheap. I have a couple tips, for those considering similar ideas. Stripping was a lot of work, even with the chemicals.. had I not been so cheap, bead blasting would have been easier. There is a nice thick primer under the paint, so the chemical has to eat through clear, paint, and primer.. so if you go that route, buy a stronger stripper, or you can wait out the chemical reaction like I did. It gets the job done, but its a slow process. After all the paint is gone, the steel will have a dark grey patina. I used scotch brite pads to remove that, and polish to its current lustre. Using the large thin pads, the motion is like a shoe shine. The other tip is, once the paint is removed, and especially while removing the patina, and polishing, always wear nitrile or latex gloves. Do not handle the frame with bare hands! A rusty fingerprint will show up days, even a week later. I went in knowing this, so I wore gloves through the entire process. I also poured the K PHOS in the down tube, plugged all the drain holes in the seat stays etc... and turned the frame to let the liquid, and gravity, do its thing, on the inside. I used a borrowed air gun, for the application on the outside. I fashioned an old wire coat hangar into a J shape and ran it down through the top of the headtube, for a nifty way to suspend the frame at chest level. Makes it easier to apply product that way. Good luck, if you choose to do something like this.. its not that difficult.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    That looks incredibly clean, and cool. Awesome.

A few things:

1 -- How many people have stopped you to ask about your titanium frame?

2 -- The quality of the welds on the Flite look really, really good. Don't know about the strength, etc., but they look good to me.

3 -- What color did you use for the GK? Or is it just clear?

Life is Go0d!
    Quote Originally Posted by racerdave
    That looks incredibly clean, and cool. Awesome.

A few things:

1 -- How many people have stopped you to ask about your titanium frame?

2 -- The quality of the welds on the Flite look really, really good. Don't know about the strength, etc., but they look good to me.

3 -- What color did you use for the GK? Or is it just clear?
    Thanks.. I prefer the minimalist look. 1.) In my area, not many people would know much about Ti. :-) 2.) I have yet to break either of the Flights I have owned. Pictures of my riding style can be found in the thread "Redline Flight Action shots" added by myself. I am a Clyde, around 220. 3.) I used 2409 Clear from KG Coatings. I also considered getting a color, and diluting with clear, to achieve a transparent color.. but instead, opted for clear over raw.

Life is Go0d!
    Quote Originally Posted by master of the wheel
    Thnx,, I may have to play with some designs. Did you spray on the gunkote? I wonder if there is another product that comes in a spray can so I can forgo the renting of a sprayer..
    I used a spray gun.. this stuff is so thin, I would venture to say that it has self leveling properties. With that in mind, a foam brush could be used.. but I did not try it. It may be worth testing that out on a piece of scrap. :-)

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Cool... thanks for the info. To clarify, I thought the welds were really nice, but mine is an untrained eye. I think those broken Flights were not commonplace. I'm about 2 bills and I wouldn't hesitate getting one.

I'm currently looking for a Flight frameset in XL. Others as well, but as a current Redline (MC 29er) owner on a frame that's a size or two too small, I have an affinity for a Flight.

I've only heard of clear powdercoats before and I think it was on Peter White's site that he mentioned there were like 2 in 100 frames that were clear powder-on-steel that showed some oxidation in spots.

But I think the GK is a more interesting product. Yours looks awesome.

Very inspiring! Hope you don't mind if there are a few copycat frames out there.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Oh... last, you mentioned the oven. Where did you find one and how large did it have to be? What kind of shop did you take it to?

Just curious... I know it will be different for everyone depending on where they live, but it might give a starting point.

thanks.

PS -- moose drool rocks.

Life is Go0d!
    Quote Originally Posted by racerdave
    Oh... last, you mentioned the oven. Where did you find one and how large did it have to be? What kind of shop did you take it to?

Just curious... I know it will be different for everyone depending on where they live, but it might give a starting point.

thanks.

PS -- moose drool rocks.
    I have a friend who is a knifemaker, he has a small shop, and does forging. He and I built a nice confined area, that we could control the temp in. We used his regulated heat source, and did our best to keep it at the recommended temperature.

Life is Go0d!
    For all of you that are considering this, feel free to emulate what I have done, or experiment with colors.. Its all good! :-) Also, if you choose a color to use, be damn sure you like it!! This stuff is way more difficult to remove, than powder, or Paint.
    Last edited by mo0se; 10-31-2009 at 08:38 AM.

mtbr member
    This is neat. How is it holding up? I'd love to use this stuff on a frame, or the air dry stuff....

Low Rep Count
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach
    I read it as "Nekkid Fight"..... not what i was hoping for.
    +1 I was like, here we go!

Nice work on the frame/fork though. KB makes some good stuff. You did a good job of stripping for sure.

Word of advice for everyone. TAKE YOUR TIME! If you add color or what ever you use for a final coat, let it cure! I have seen way too many paint jobs, to include one of mine, be ruined because I was too damn excited, started putting parts on it thinking, oh, this one part will be ok, and then BAM! Finger print! Take your time!

Framebuilder
    *Bump*
    So how about an update on the finish mo0se? How is it holding up?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Live Wire View Post
    *Bump*
    So how about an update on the finish mo0se? How is it holding up?
    I'm curious too. Or how about people who have tried POR-15 Glisten PC instead, how does that hold up?

Life is Go0d!
    Sorry I neglected getting back with ya'll on this..that KG Coating stuff is top shelf! The finish is in good shape..however, I borke this frame doing things I shouldn't have..but Redline warrantied me a new one. I would recommend sending your frame off for this, as they do anti-corrosion treatments better than we can at home.

Members who have read this thread: 0