Need urgent help with Phil Wood BB !- Mtbr.com
    PTV
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Need urgent help with Phil Wood BB !

So I put the cartridge in the faced, cleaned BB shell on my new frame........
    Then I take the two mounting rings and attempt to thread them onto the BB threads on either side - making sure I had the correct driveside ring on the driveside etc.... BUT I can only make about 1/2 turn by hand.... So I stop because I'm terrified to f up the threads - I could have used the Phil Wood BB tools to tighten further - but thought it was odd that I couldn't turn them further by hand ?

What do you guys think ? Thread on BB shell no good ? Wrong mounting rings ? It's a brand new frame and i went through what I needed with the guy at Webcyclery in terms of rings etc...

I'll call Webcyclry or Phil direct but thought I'd poll the talent on here first.....

Thanks !

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    happened to me......and scared me to hell and back (installed on custom ti frame)....

take your frame and get the BB....errr, what the hell is it called.....reamed i think...cost like $10 and takes about 5 minutes.....

then, make absolutely 100% sure that the threads on the Phil cups are free & clear of the loctite from the precious mounting (if they were used before)....

after that everything should be okey-dokey
    Click Here for Forum Rules

PTV
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Many thanks.... due to the cost and importance of the BB I think I may just have to take this down to the LBS for some professional help !

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    If your bb cups thread half a turn by hand that should be fine. Prior to mounting, just visually inspect the threads to make sure they are clean and allign, apply the loctite to the threads of the bb cups and use the phil woods tool to tighten. By using the tool, you will notice the cups threading into the bb shell like a knife cutting through butter.

Quote Originally Posted by rraayy
    If your bb cups thread half a turn by hand that should be fine. Prior to mounting, just visually inspect the threads to make sure they are clean and allign, apply the loctite to the threads of the bb cups and use the phil woods tool to tighten. By using the tool, you will notice the cups threading into the bb shell like a knife cutting through butter.
    ummmm......no.

on many new frames the BB threads NEED to be reamed and faced (just like the headtube) - period.....forcing a PW BB shell can/will seize in about 1/2 a turn if forced.....and they are a wooly-bugger to get out.....no chit

ya also really need 2 PW tools to install the BB with the correct torque - but prior to applying loctite a *dry* run for alignment is a good idea.....specifically for a SS using a freewheel cog.....

edit - coming from a guy who runs Phil's on 3 bikes

mvi
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Have the threads chased. Or use a steel cup first carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by mvi
    Have the threads chased. Or use a steel cup first carefully.
    Chased!....that's the word i was lookin' for......ugh

PTV
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks - it's in the hands of my LBS - Howard, who used to race BMX professionally and now has his own little store in Studio City Ca.... highly recommended for any of you valley bunnies.....! he's also going to build my wheels.... Phil Woods on XC717's with alternating silver and red nipples... !

Members who have read this thread: 0