Need Tire Suggestions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Need Tire Suggestions

I'm having my SS built up right now and need some help picking tires. I'll be using it to commute to work as well as trail riding. I know I could find a set of tires for both uses. However, I looking for a tire that will be "decent" for both. Any suggestions? Thanks......

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Avocet Cross ][ 26x1.95

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    any tire you find that has a continuous center tread. That cuts down on rolling resistance a ton. I think bontrager makes a tire w/ knobs int he center that touch, but i think they may still ahve a lot of friction. I haven't tried them.

SS Clyde 29er

nice tire but,

Quote Originally Posted by Legion
    Avocet Cross ][ 26x1.95
    i dont advise using in wet weather and trying to turn. otherwise rolls great and lasts!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

WTB Mutanoraptor

Quote Originally Posted by sscott
    I'm having my SS built up right now and need some help picking tires. I'll be using it to commute to work as well as trail riding. I know I could find a set of tires for both uses. However, I looking for a tire that will be "decent" for both. Any suggestions? Thanks......
    I run these on every offroad bike I own. The tires have a center strip running down the center. They roll real good on pavement and work great for most conditions offroad.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I actually bought some Maxxis Larsen Oriflammes after reading a testimonial on the Wheel and Tire Forum a month back. I have them on my ss and they work very well...but on concrete and hardpack ONLY. Took them on a 52 mile concrete ride Friday and offroad this morning. They bite pretty well when hitting corners on hardpack because of the low profile side lugs. So far, I have been very happy with them. $12 right now at Jenson and that includes a kevlar bead!

The only drawback is that they are not entirely suitable for other conditions (lots of roots, logs, damp, sand) and are not a "high volume" tire if you run a rigid setup (like me but I can live with it).

I previously ran the 2.4" Mutanoraptors (mentioned in this thread) and they are certainly a better all-arounder off road and the big volume provides more cushion. They are very respectable on concrete if you don't ride long distances but are quite a bit more sluggish than the Oriflammes.

Like anything else with tires...the more you multi-purpose with a single tire, the more the trade offs!