Need suggestions on rigid fork- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Need suggestions on rigid fork

Hey everyone I'm wanting to try out full rigid on my specialized hard rock 29er. I don't want to drop a lot of money on a fork in case I don't like it . so needing some suggestions. I keep reading a lot about the salsa cromoto but ist wondering if any things else is decent.

mtbr member
    Personally no complaints on any Surly 29er rigid forks I had and have (Krampus, KM, 1x1 (100mm corrected)). I also got Niner fork in Reynolds on my Unit and it is pretty nice too.
    Will your frame accept only straight steer or tapered?
    Don't believe everything you think

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Soma can get you into a nice tange fork for not too much money. Put one on my daughter's bike, very nice, curved blades. Nice if you're thinking more compliance than beef.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Yea my bike is straight steer. I ride a good bit of rocky areas so not sure if I need a beefier fork or more compliant.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tradarcher View Post
    Yea my bike is straight steer. I ride a good bit of rocky areas so not sure if I need a beefier fork or more compliant.
    Than you have pretty good selection and honestly can't go wrong with either Salsa or Surly forks. And if you don't like it - they sell pretty fast in my experience and you will not loose much money. Check usual suspects like pinkbike and your local CL, jenson usually accepts their 15% off coupons on Surly forks. Older Niner forks made with Reynolds also pop up quite often on fleebay for very reasonable money. So if you are not dead set on new - options are out there. And if you like it overall and figure out that you need say beefier fork than you can splurge for new one.

One thing to keep in mind is what axle to crown length you will be looking for so you don't mess up your geo too much. If 1x1 fork fits the bill - highly recommend, 100mm corrected accepts 29x2.4 tires easy with room to spare and is excellent fork, can't go wrong for $90
    https://static.jensonusa.com/images/...7/FK409C01.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    The fork on my bike now is a 80mm will a fork with 100mm change the geo to much?

banned
    Sep 2008
    Yes. I'd go for the carver carbon 29er fork. 465 a-c. 189.00 and way lighter than a rigid steel fork.

You will love rigid.

mtbr member
    The fork on my bike now is a 80mm will a fork with 100mm change the geo to much?
    If you decide on 1x1 - it is suspension corrected for 26 wheels, actual AC is 453mm
    KM fork is 468mm and it is $20 more on jenson

Carver fork is lighter, 800 grams claimed.
    KM fork is 1200 grams with uncut steerer, 1x1 is 1300g

I personally would go with steel KM or 1x1 - cheaper and not much heavier, half the price of carver, perfect to try out rigid. If you apply jenson 15% discount - 1x1 should come out to around $76 and KM to around $93

If you concerned with looks - carver would probably look better on your frame.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    And don't forget, Walt (one of the mods here) can make you a custom fork that'll dial in compliance for your weight and nail down your angles and trail numbers for you. ~$300 it ain't cheap but if you're particular about handling, that'll start looking like a bargain real quick

Wanna ride bikes?
    80mm suspension corrected. $70

https://www.bikeman.com/KON-P2MTN29DISC.html

this is the fork i bought when i wanted to try rigid. can't beat it at $70
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

Wanna ride bikes?
    I don't want to drop a lot of money on a fork in case I don't like it .
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaDave View Post
    And don't forget, Walt (one of the mods here) can make you a custom fork that'll dial in compliance for your weight and nail down your angles and trail numbers for you. ~$300 it ain't cheap but if you're particular about handling, that'll start looking like a bargain real quick
    the OP clearly stated he didn't want to spend a lot of money and just wanted to try it. so the first thing you recommend is a custom fork? or were you just trying to kiss Walts ass?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BENKD29 View Post

Speaking of bargains - buddy of mine (and he goes to the same shops I do) scored project 2 for 40 Canadian (that's like 5USD at the current rate ). It was all dusty, sitting lonely in the corner. I liked project fork I had on 26er setup I had, pretty good fork for the money, don't think 29er is much different

So there you have it OP:
    Project 2 or 1x1 at around 70 (1x1 with 15% off coupon, jenson)
    KM fork for around 90 (with 15% coupon, jenson)

banned
    Sep 2008

Tis a tank of a fork at 1350 grams. About as stiff of a rigid fork as anything out there as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    Tis a tank of a fork at 1350 grams. About as stiff of a rigid fork as anything out there as well.
    What is the weight of OP's suspension fork right now? It is not rotating weight and it is not really that heavy. Plus all the weights in this thread are with uncut steerer - once fitted it will drop a few grams too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Well my current fork is still the stock suntour xct which I believe is around 5.5lbs. I've read that the p2 fork is extremely harsh is that true

banned
    Sep 2008
    Well my current fork is still the stock suntour xct which I believe is around 5.5lbs. I've read that the p2 fork is extremely harsh is that true
    it is true. i been riding racing primarily full rigid bikes for over 20 years and the p2 fork is the stiffest i've ever ridden/raced by far. and heavier than anything else. i didn't change it out on my 13' unit cuz i only kept the bike for 6 months or so before going fatbike. the carver carbon really takes the sting out and is so much lighter. with the p2 you may find that you hate riding full rigid. may as well spend a bit more coin, get a lighter more compliant front end and fall in love with rigid. riding in it's purest form. you can always move the fork over to another frame if you decide to upgrade the bike.

i'm wicked close to purchasing a leftover 15' kona unit and if i do, the carver fork will go on before i ever throw a leg over the bike.

Wanna ride bikes?
    it double posted somehow, see below
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Wanna ride bikes?
    he just asked for a cheap fork to try it out. weight was not mentioned as a concern.

direct quote from the Bikeman description: "It weighs in at approximately 1185g on the Bikeman scale."

it's a good fork for the money. you can't expect the same quality as a fork costing 2 or 3 times as much.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    You can get a Krampus fork for under a $100 (Used one cheaper) and then you can run a 29x3.0 tire on the front.

banned
    Sep 2008
    he just asked for a cheap fork to try it out. weight was not mentioned as a concern.

direct quote from the Bikeman description: "It weighs in at approximately 1185g on the Bikeman scale."

it's a good fork for the money. you can't expect the same quality as a fork costing 2 or 3 times as much.
    welp i personally weighed one just now at my shop and again it read 3lbs on da nose, so thats 1362 grams

just trying to save the OP from the pennywise/pound foolish phenomenon. the guy could eat out a coupla times less over the next few weeks and BAM! afford the carver.

quite the concept, eh?

Wanna ride bikes?
    no need to be a Dick. i was just offering another option that no one had mentioned yet. and it's still 2.5 lbs lighter than his current fork.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

banned
    Sep 2008
    no need to be a Dick. i was just offering another option that no one had mentioned yet. and it's still 2.5 lbs lighter than his current fork.
    no need for name calling. i'm just looking out for the OP's best interest and that's to put a rigid fork on that he'll actually enjoy riding. he wants to try riding rigid. he might as well get a nice fork that's VERY reasonable priced that rides way nicer than the jackhammer that is the p2 fork.

but i guess your uni-dimensional advice is far better

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Regarding production forks, rigid = rigid. Don't fall for the "butted, ultralight, uber compliant" mumbo jumbo. They all ride the same, given the same offset.

For cheap, get a Surly or Salsa and be done with it. Add a 3" tire if you want more compliance.

Wanna ride bikes?
    get off your high horse. i didn't say my advice was better, in fact i never offered any advice, I just mentioned a product for the OP to evaluate and consider for himself. same thing you did.

for the record i agree the Carver fork is far superior. i never said the P2 was some kind of great fork, just that it was a good low budget option if he wanted to try rigid before committing to a more expensive fork.

can we be done now?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 2:01 View Post
    Regarding production forks, rigid = rigid. Don't fall for the "butted, ultralight, uber compliant" mumbo jumbo. They all ride the same, given the same offset.

For cheap, get a Surly or Salsa and be done with it. Add a 3" tire if you want more compliance.
    Nope. My tange db chromo cheapo stock fork on my bianchi cuss was way more comfy than the p2. Even some of the guys at kona will mention the carver fork as a better option and upgrade over the units stock p2 for ride feel and weight.

banned
    Sep 2008
    get off your high horse. i didn't say my advice was better, in fact i never offered any advice, I just mentioned a product for the OP to evaluate and consider for himself. same thing you did.

for the record i agree the Carver fork is far superior. i never said the P2 was some kind of great fork, just that it was a good low budget option if he wanted to try rigid before committing to a more expensive fork.

can we be done now?
    Of course we can be done. I was merely suggesting the carver over the p2 for the less edgy/harsh ride of it. You know, bring him over to the dark side without jumping ship after p2 uppercut and whatnot.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Can you ride any gear ratio with that Carver fork, or does it only work with 32x18?

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by solo-x View Post
    Can you ride any gear ratio with that Carver fork, or does it only work with 32x18?
    preferably 32-18. anything lighter then why bother?

banned
    Sep 2008

70.00? that's no deal.

i have one sitting right here next to me at the shop uncut in the box that i'll let go for 25.00 plus shipping from seacoast nh.

if the OP or anyones interested throw me a PM. so for 40.00 or less all told THAT'S a deal!

move over bikeman!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Pm sent

banned
    Sep 2008
    Pm sent
    talk to you at 630 eastern time

Wanna ride bikes?
    70.00? that's no deal.

i have one sitting right here next to me at the shop uncut in the box that i'll let go for 25.00 plus shipping from seacoast nh.

if the OP or anyones interested throw me a PM. so for 40.00 or less all told THAT'S a deal!

move over bikeman!!!
    Ugh, an hour ago you got all noble about how you were rescuing the OP from making a big mistake by buying a "Jackhammer" and being "pennywise/pound foolish". now you've got one to sell and it's all good? i give up
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Nope. My tange db chromo cheapo stock fork on my bianchi cuss was way more comfy than the p2. Even some of the guys at kona will mention the carver fork as a better option and upgrade over the units stock p2 for ride feel and weight.
    Again, mumbo jumbo.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Again, mumbo jumbo.
    No, it's real world experience, guy.

banned
    Sep 2008
    You give up? Heh. You provide a link, I provide a great deal for the OP.

he's happy, I'm happy, WE WIN.

Thanx for playing

mtbr member
    OP, looks like you are going through with rigid - hope you like it! Remember to play with tire pressure - no more suspension to take the edge off :-)

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Yea buddy! Newmarketrog hooked me up thanks again Roger! So I'm currently running 2.2 tires up front and 2.1 in the back. Should I go ahead and look for some bigger tires?

mtbr member
    Awesome! I would not rush but it never hurts to start research early. My personal take on tire fatness - I almost always try to fit as fat of a tire as frame would accept. low pressure is addictive and super comfy. There are exceptions like my 1x1 650 build for example - I probably could've fit 2.5 or 2.4 for sure but I liked Neo Moto tires so much that I went with them in 2.3. I did however went with wider rims, Blunts to get additional volume. Play with pressure on what you have now and go from there

Also depends on where and how you ride - only you have the knowledge of what tire size pressure would work for you. If i recall correctly (from working on my buddies rockhopper, I think he as 2013) - there is not much clearance at the back, you may be able to fit 2.2 or 2.3 (depending on how wide are your rims).

Warning - low pressure riding is addictive. Once you find this sweet spot for low pressure, gained traction, all other goodies and tires not rolling off the rim you'd be hooked. You will start looking for wider rims, more volume and wil end up with + or fat bike. And nothing wrong with that

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Need suggestions on rigid fork

I'm rolling 96er style with the Salsa Cromoto 425mm AC with a 29er wheel. Plenty of clearance for my 2.35" tire and, best of all, it maintained my geometry by going with the 425mm Cromoto. I'm really enjoying this ride. The pic doesn't show it, but this ride has now been morphed into SS. Gets better and better... Retro newness.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

banned
    Sep 2008
    Yea buddy! Newmarketrog hooked me up thanks again Roger!
    you're most welcome, my pleasure. UPS man takes it away today!

glad to hook a brother up!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    the OP clearly stated he didn't want to spend a lot of money and just wanted to try it. so the first thing you recommend is a custom fork? or were you just trying to kiss Walts ass?
    Thank you for correcting me.

OK here's the deal on forks.

1. Gotta look at length and offset. To match length, you have to look at the length of your sus fork with you sitting on the bike, squishing it down. That comes out to about 465mm for an 80mm 29er sus fork.
    2. You can get away with jacking up the front end a bit, by going with a longer fork or a taller tire, but you would need more offset. And, they don't make forks with that much offset. So, don't do it.
    3. It follows, then, they don't make a fork for a bike with <70* HTA, not if you want sharp handling (think G2 geometry). But, you can get away with using a shorter fork. (Fortunately, OP doesn't have that problem.)
    4. Be careful, sometimes they advertise "26/29" forks. That's because a 453mm fork, corrected for a 100mm 26" suspension, will easily fit a 29" wheel. But, that's a tad short for most 29ers, so unless you're trying to fix something with the original design, don't go there.

There are basically three price points:

~$70: Kona, and that's about it unless you get lucky, or you're willing to go alloy. If you're on a 26er, there's Nashbar and Origin8. Maybe dimension if you can find one that works. But no matter what they say, those aren't "29er" forks. Kona apparently put out a couple different versions of forks, some are better than others, so they say. Bikeman has the good ones.

~$150. Salsa, Surly, Soma, chinese carbon. It ain't really "soma" forks, they are Tange forks, used to be the thing when all bikes were rigid. Salsa and Surly make fine gear that holds it's value. Some are slender and flexy, some are big and dong, take your pick.

~$400. Custom or fine carbon eg niner. Custom is a bargain if you're gonna skeeve over compliance and handling. If you're the sort of guy who will go through two or three forks to find the one you want, stop and think first.*

Matching forks to an old 26er is an arcane science, fork lengths are all over the place and we are running taller tires these days. Gear is getting hard to come by. But, seems kind of hard to really screw things up on a 71* hta 29er. I know it's a little confusing, they don't really "correct" the forks, it's the frame that gets corrected.** Just roll with it.

--------
    *My wife says if I will quit buying forks, she will kiss Walt's ass
    ** I feel all creepy now, am I the only one thinking about "The Shining"?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Yea I don't have a lot of clearance on the back of the bike so I will probably just swap my 2.2 from the front To the back. and pick up a 2.3 or 2.4 if I need it for the front.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Forgot about these guys, but I would probably opt for OS Blackbuck if I were looking for a production steel fork. Three different A/C length options. And well-priced at $100. (I would contact them to make sure they are in stock and the price reflected on the site is correct, though).

OS Bikes - Order

mtbr member
    Forgot about these guys, but I would probably opt for OS Blackbuck if I were looking for a production steel fork. Well priced at $100. (I would contact them to make sure they are in stock and the price reflected on the site is correct, though).

OS Bikes - Order
    OP's new fork is on its way already :-)

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mongol777 View Post
    OP's new fork is on its way already :-)
    Yup, just for future reference for others that may be looking.

mtbr member
    Yup, just for future reference for others that may be looking.
    Good point!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Well got the fork in and installed it's actually not to bad. The trails I ride are really rocky and the fork actually absorbed more small bumps and vibration that my crappy suntour fork. I didn't get to ride alot as it was raining hard so next dry day we get I will put it to the test. Does anyone have any tips or information on how to ride efficiently with the full rigid?

Wanna ride bikes?
    well, one important thing to learn quickly is to "ride light". learn to tip toe over sharp rocks, even at speed, otherwise you will get flats, and could wreck you wheels in a hurry. you can no longer just plow into or over things.

you'll want nice high ish volume tires on wide rims for best results. this allows you to run lower pressures which gives a better ride and more grip.

efficiently? your now on one of the most efficient rides you can get. with no suspension to soak up your power delivery, when you apply downward force, it is instantly transferred into forward motion.

i'm sure your already aware of the standing climbing techniques, and the use of momentum. add clipless pedals too for efficiency if your not already using them.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Well the rims I just got a couple months ago are stans arch which are not very wide I think 21/24 internal/external can I still go with bigger tires?

Let's ride
    Well the rims I just got a couple months ago are stans arch which are not very wide I think 21/24 internal/external can I still go with bigger tires?
    I have a Stans Crest on the front of one bike and it has a 2.4 racing ralph. HUGE tire, likely the largest 29er tire you can buy without going to + sizes. Runs fine with 20psi.

Wider rims would be better to keep stiffer sidewall action at lower psi.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Get esi extra chunky grips, and don't choke the life out of em

San Miguel Beer Drinker
    Apr 2009
    happy with my SC dillinger fork. it's a bit more compliant compared to the salsa cromoto due to longer legs.

can't beat the look of the cromoto fork though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I definitely want to upgrade to a better rigid fork at some point but I just don't know if I want to go with carbon or stick with a steel fork.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I definitely want to upgrade to a better rigid fork at some point but I just don't know if I want to go with carbon or stick with a steel fork.
    Dang, already?

I have a steel fork on one of my bikes, and carbon on the other. I'm not 100% sure which one is better. Kind of favoring the steel right this minute tbh.

It ain't about the fork anyway. No rigid fork is gonna do the work for you like a sus fork will. Schooch back a little, try to get your weight more on your butt and less on your hands. Moving your seat around or trying a shorter stem might help. Arms gotta be loose. Elbows bent. Hold the grips just barely tight enough so they don't go flying out of your hands. Relax your shoulders. Don't hold your breath. Relax. Get wiggly. You're Gumby, dammit! You're a stah

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Yea the kona is great and it actually doesn't feel like a pogo stick like my last fork but I want one just a little less harsh. I still don't want to drop a lot on a fork or I would just get suspension. I just can't decide on a carver fork or good steel fork

mtbr member
    Yea the kona is great and it actually doesn't feel like a pogo stick like my last fork but I want one just a little less harsh. I still don't want to drop a lot on a fork or I would just get suspension. I just can't decide on a carver fork or good steel fork
    Did you try to drop the pressure a bit? Couple of PSIs can make quite a difference
    Also - I do not know your skill level, etc but check yourself for death grip when riding. I am strong proponent for using handlebars to steer, not to hold weight.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I did drop the pressure and its funny I dropped it to much and landed on my back after taking a turn to fast. But it did help alot

mtbr member
    I did drop the pressure and its funny I dropped it to much and landed on my back after taking a turn to fast. But it did help alot
    Haha - shit happens! I treat my falls as priceless lessons. If I was smart I would try and learn from all of them
    It will take some time to adjust riding rigid - from pressure to choosing different lines, etc

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Does riding rigid make you slower? My times on my home trail were slower and I felt sluggish.

mtbr member
    Slower on the downhills at first for sure, but I find myself significantly faster on climbs. After a couple of good rides, you adapt your style and you will find yourself going faster than you thought!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Yea I can definitely tell the difference in climbing I can shoot up hills a lot faster than before. The down hills I have definitely had to slow down to keep it from rattling my brains out

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rob1035 View Post
    Slower on the downhills at first for sure, but I find myself significantly faster on climbs. After a couple of good rides, you adapt your style and you will find yourself going faster than you thought!
    Then switch back to your squish fork with a lockout and crush both the climbs and the descents!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Well front squish is nice but coslty. And I enjoy taking on new challenges . it's part of the fun

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Get the 180$ Amazon rockshox fork. Cheap!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk