Need some opinions- Mtbr.com
    Am I getting too bulky?

Cool-blue Rhythm Need some opinions

Was thinking about the FSR I've got sitting around in the basement gathering dust, and thinking it might be fun to do an SS conversion on it. It's not a big travel bike, barely 4x4, if that, but it sure is fun on the downhills. It does bob a bit when mashing out of the saddle. What do you guys think? Worth the effort? With the rear axle path, you think I could get away with running an ENO eccentric rather than a tensioner?
    I gotta roll, can't stand still, got a flame in my heart, can't get my fill.

mtbr member

1st...

Quote Originally Posted by Bikehigh
    Was thinking about the FSR I've got sitting around in the basement gathering dust, and thinking it might be fun to do an SS conversion on it. It's not a big travel bike, barely 4x4, if that, but it sure is fun on the downhills. It does bob a bit when mashing out of the saddle. What do you guys think? Worth the effort? With the rear axle path, you think I could get away with running an ENO eccentric rather than a tensioner?
    I say before anything, run it SS with an old deralliur as a tensioner. If you use ENO, the chain will go very slack when the suspension compresses. With a deralliur as a tensioner, you'd be better off because it will take up the slack when the sock compresses.

my $0.02

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    Second the rear mech as a tensioner.

Also how does it feel to ride that seat with the nose pointing down? Does it hurt your hands?

mtbr member

I triple...

Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL

Also how does it feel to ride that seat with the nose pointing down? Does it hurt your hands?
    I triple the rear mech as a tensioner.

I say, why not sell that beast? Then you can go SS full time like us fools. It's nice and healthy to tinker with bikes.

Am I getting too bulky?

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    I triple the rear mech as a tensioner.

I say, why not sell that beast? Then you can go SS full time like us fools. It's nice and healthy to tinker with bikes.
    I do ride SS full time, hence the dust gathering on the FSR for the last three years.

Am I getting too bulky?

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL

Don't ask me why, but on that bike, that's the way it feels right. In fact, I had to replace the stock Kalloy post with the Thomson, just so I could get the right angle on it after putting the 100mm fork on there. As you can see, on the Cog that replaced it, the saddle is more level. Maybe I need to run more sag on that fork, but the way I have it set up, the bike feels very balanced front to rear.

Am I getting too bulky?
    Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    I say before anything, run it SS with an old deralliur as a tensioner. If you use ENO, the chain will go very slack when the suspension compresses. With a deralliur as a tensioner, you'd be better off because it will take up the slack when the sock compresses.

my $0.02
    I was thinking that with the S shaped axle path, there wouldn't be too much slack created, and was wondering if anybody had any experience with a Horst link bike as an SS.

IMBA Guy
    Jan 2004
    I tried to convert a friend's Epic with a singleator, but there was barely too much variation in the chainstay length for it to work well. He had to go with a Melvin, which works very well.

I say try it with the rear der first, and if you really like it maybe pick up a melvin or Rohloff tensioner.