Need some help.Please:)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Need some help.Please:)

Well I do not post much at all. I'm a Nyc Fireman. Due to work I have been off and on the bike for a few years now. But I finally have the drive to ride alot back. I have been doing some serious road mileage for 3 months now. But I MISS THE DIRT! And i want to go SS. So I need some help. I have the parts listed below. I would like to use what I have but. The drive train is the issue. Tell me bothers what do I need to have a solid ride.
    Schwinn Homegrown Pro frame
    King Hubs on 517's with Dt swiss spokes
    Marzocchi bomber fork
    Thomson Elite stem
    Cane Creek thudbuster
    (going back to the straight bar) Handlebar - Easton carbon
    xtr brakes
    xtr cranks
    time atac carbon pedals

So what do I need to square away the rear hub? Also I would like to use the xtr cranks. Do I use the middle ring? And do I need some spacers for the crank spider to remove the big ring and the small ring?All suggestions are welcome. thanks for the help.

wait a minute....

use the middle

and put a cog on the back with some spacers. i use a 16 tooth for where i live. get a singulater or some kind of tensioner and go.your front is a 32 tooth,you will need to get some short chainring bolts and an 8 speed chain if you can,the 9 speed ones break. the chainline can be adjusted moving the spacers on the rear hub. single speeds are cheap to build. only $80 or so for eveyrthing.
    Three old guys are out walking.

First one says, "Windy, isn't it?"

Second one says, "No, it's Thursday!"

Third one says, "So am I. Let's go get a beer."

Eric the Red

Be careful

if that King hub has an aluminum cassette body, (most do but you can get stainless steel) make sure you use a cog with a wide base. If you use a standard width cogs, it will shear through the splines real quick.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    thanks guys, for the info. EDO a wide cog? what brand would you recommend. I sure as hell do not want to chew up the Kings!

Eric the Red
    You can get them from King, Endless, or I think Surly cogs have a pretty wide base. Kings are pricey (of course) but if you don't mind price, you could go for a Boone titanium. I think your best bet would be the Surly.

34N 118W
    Quote Originally Posted by thehook
    thanks guys, for the info. EDO a wide cog? what brand would you recommend. I sure as hell do not want to chew up the Kings!
    several wide SS cogs available from:

Surly
    Endless
    Chris King
    Niner

which XTR cranks? the 960's with external bearings? those are harder to find a ring to replace the big chainring with. I think Boone makes em but they ain't cheap (ti). Maybe try to find another used crankset that's easier to setup SS style if budget allows.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    the big ring would be coming of no? i just went on webcyclery. I priced the king steel cog,surly singulator, spacers, sram chain, sram brake levers and sugino single chainring bolts. anybody know a site that can beat there prices? also is the singulator a good tensioner? any other recomendations?

That's gonna leave a mark
    Quote Originally Posted by thehook
    the big ring would be coming of no? i just went on webcyclery. I priced the king steel cog,surly singulator, spacers, sram chain, sram brake levers and sugino single chainring bolts. anybody know a site that can beat there prices? also is the singulator a good tensioner? any other recomendations?
    I've been doing business with Webcyclery for more than 5 years. For an online retailer (actually they have a thriving shop too), you can't beat them for customer service and knowledge with all things SS. Todd and Kevin are great guys who always have time to discuss things on the phone. Their prices are competitive too. Oh, and Todd builds a mean wheelset. Can't say enough...

I'm not too kean on the Surly tensioner. But that's just me. I've seen too many get mangled on steep climbs. Maybe they've worked out the bugs.

I'd also look into the Rennen-Rollenlager and the Soulcraft Convert.

Good luck to you and don't forget to post pics of the finished project and a first ride report!
    Fat fanatic.

"Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

Members who have read this thread: 0