Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    186

    Need some help, ideas, thoughts....

    I have an 09 Rig that I really enjoy riding...The frame is nimble and light but just recently I have started having a TON of EBB issues. I decided to switch to the Carver while getting my new E 13 crankset...After about a month of messing with the Carver I still cant get the EBB to stay put. My major problem now is when it slips it is now causing rub issues with my chainring. I am going to get some Finish Line Fibergrip as a last resort.

    What I needing some help is a couple things...

    1) I know this is odd but has anyone turned an EBB into a normal bottom bracket than adjusted the chain in a different manner? Chain tensioner I guess
    2) New possible frame...Niner Sir Nine, Soul Cycles Dillinger, or Salsa El Mariachi? I know 2 of the three come with EBB so that is why Im asking for help on the EBB these companies offer.
    3) Any help on the Carver would be great to...I have talked quite a bit with Davis, he has been great but seems to think everything I have tried is on the right track (sanding shell and delrin, tightening from both sides

    Thanks

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    60
    Have you checked the frame and or EBB for ovalizing?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    186
    I have given some thought to the bottom bracket shell being out of round...Im not sure how that can be dealt with since (I think) most of the reaming tools are for threading the cups not reaming that size hole

  4. #4
    Out spokin'
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    9,325
    Don't make the wrong mistake. If you want to stick with an EBB bike, don't mess with anything but a split shell EBB. All other types are cursed.

    --sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

    We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by 96p993 View Post
    I have an 09 Rig that I really enjoy riding...The frame is nimble and light but just recently I have started having a TON of EBB issues. I decided to switch to the Carver while getting my new E 13 crankset...After about a month of messing with the Carver I still cant get the EBB to stay put. My major problem now is when it slips it is now causing rub issues with my chainring. I am going to get some Finish Line Fibergrip as a last resort.

    What I needing some help is a couple things...

    1) I know this is odd but has anyone turned an EBB into a normal bottom bracket than adjusted the chain in a different manner? Chain tensioner I guess
    2) New possible frame...Niner Sir Nine, Soul Cycles Dillinger, or Salsa El Mariachi? I know 2 of the three come with EBB so that is why Im asking for help on the EBB these companies offer.
    3) Any help on the Carver would be great to...I have talked quite a bit with Davis, he has been great but seems to think everything I have tried is on the right track (sanding shell and delrin, tightening from both sides

    Thanks
    Hey 96p993, facing all the same issues as you on my alloy Carver 96er. Had the bike for about 2 years. EBB slipage has slowly got worse and worse over the time. I'm on my 3rd EBB and have stripped the head out of about 8 bolts in an attempt to reduce the issue. As recommended on the Niner forum for niner EBB, I tried 'Carbogrip' (suspect its a simular product to Fibregrip) but to no avail. In all this time, Carver bikes and our local distributor have been helping in anyway they can to assist with trying to find a solution. I have finally conceded defeat on the EBB. However I'm that inpressed with the Carver 96er and Carver service that I'm looking at replacing the frame with the Ti or carbon Carver 96er.
    My other bike is a Niner SIR 9, old style EBB. Had slipage issues with that as well so replaced the EBB for the new bio-centric EBB. Now I'm very happy!!
    Had the new Salsa El mariachi B4 that. The swinging drop-outs are a thing of beauty. Had no issues at all with slipping.

    All the above bikes are run as SS only.

    I agree with Sparticus. The only EBB to have is the pinch bolt setup IMO.
    Hope you get a result soon.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    60
    If you are looking at a different frame. Your options for frames are huge if you switch to a White Industries eccentric hub. I used one for years and never had issues with it, with V brakes. Easy to use and bombproof using the WI freewheel. I have been intrigued by the BEER components eccentric bottom bracket which makes any BB30 frame into an eccentric. Looks very nice and cleaner than the WI hub for disc brakes.
    2008 Kona Kula 2-9 SS 2010 SWorks Epic
    Riding trails you maintain is more fun.

  7. #7
    The need for singlespeed
    Reputation: zaskaranddriver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    973
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Don't make the wrong mistake. If you want to stick with an EBB bike, don't mess with anything but a split shell EBB. All other types are cursed.

    --sParty
    Except, sort of ironically (inasmuch as it's for a standard shell), the Forward Components model, which most people are happy with.

    Wow, I use a lot of commas.

  8. #8
    .......
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,707
    Sack up, buy the El Mariachi frame, and don't look back.

  9. #9
    Out spokin'
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    9,325
    Quote Originally Posted by zaskaranddriver View Post
    Except, sort of ironically (inasmuch as it's for a standard shell), the Forward Components model, which most people are happy with.

    Wow, I use a lot of commas.
    I thought about mentioning the FC EBB because yeah, it gets great reviews and although I don't own one, I imagine it's as good as bad mechanic and others say it is. But in the end I took a pass cuz I couldn't figure a way to include it without using a whole bunch of commas.

    I feel so unworthy right now.

    --sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

    We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

  10. #10
    The need for singlespeed
    Reputation: zaskaranddriver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    973
    *Sigh*
    If only comma use earned me chicklets.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    186
    Thanks most of you, Im really close to pulling the trigger on the El (sacking up as one would say)...Again I do like the Rig frame though so I will try everything I can with the EBB to get it to work.

    Again Thanks

Similar Threads

  1. Going to start a WW full build.....ideas/thoughts?
    By jbsteven in forum Weight Weenies
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-26-2010, 08:31 PM
  2. Replies: 55
    Last Post: 04-16-2010, 09:42 AM
  3. First ride, need a little thoughts/ ideas.
    By Devilsown96 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-13-2009, 07:24 AM
  4. thoughts and ideas on new wheelsets
    By osifer in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-28-2007, 03:13 PM
  5. Noleen Crosslinks: ideas/thoughts/smart remarks...
    By Jayson44 in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-17-2006, 02:59 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.