Need some advice, new to SS- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Need some advice, new to SS

Looking to build a SS this spring and need some advice. I have a Schwinn Homegrown which I had been considering converting, however after reading through some of the posts etc. I have leaned towards a new frame to begin with. The frame I have my eye is the Ventana El Toro. My big concern is a frame that will handle my clyde dimensions, 6'2" and 250 lbs. and from doing some research and talking with a few delaers the Ventana will fit the bill. Are there some others I should look at as well? Looking for some inout and ideas.

Thanks
    Chubbs

There is a difference between the illusion of freedom and the reality of freedom

mtbr member

I would ....

Quote Originally Posted by Chubbs
    Looking to build a SS this spring and need some advice. I have a Schwinn Homegrown which I had been considering converting, however after reading through some of the posts etc. I have leaned towards a new frame to begin with. The frame I have my eye is the Ventana El Toro. My big concern is a frame that will handle my clyde dimensions, 6'2" and 250 lbs. and from doing some research and talking with a few delaers the Ventana will fit the bill. Are there some others I should look at as well? Looking for some inout and ideas.

Thanks
    throw a tensioner on your Homegrown and try SS'ing out before purchasing a frame. Your conversion cost will most likely be under $50 if you ebay the tensioner and just space out a cog on your old cassette style wheel.

I did the tensioner thing first, then ran with the ENO hub on my old rear wheel. The ENO is a great option if you like your Homegrown. I finally ended up on a Surly 1x1 just to try the "real" SS thing. Honestly, they all ride pretty much the same, so my advice is to save your money until your REALLY sure you love the Singlespeed experience.

Good Luck,

MC