Need New SS Opinions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Need New SS Opinions

My Stumpy FSR ran away last week and I want to buy a new SS but can't decide what to get. My current SS is an 03 Stumpjumper hardtail geared 32x19 without tensioner, CK rear SS wheel, Fox Vanilla fork and Avid mech disc.

So I have all the parts to swap over to a new frame but what to get?

I would like to set the Stumpy up geared (or 1x9) and thinking about the SASS so I would have fewer parts to buy to have 2 bikes. And the extra SS parts such as rear wheel and cranks could be sold to offset the cost.

Of course I started looking at SS frames and like the Salsa Juan Solo. Would be a lot more $$$ in the long run but I could slowly rebuild the Stumpy.

Here are my thoughts and concerns:

Ride the Stumpy as is and buy a new (or used FS bike)but I realy want an SS specific bike.

The Salsa frame seems light (3.3lbs) for the price (lbs says way less than the msrp of $750) but top tube is short.
    I'm 6' and like the 19" Stumpy with 24.2 top tube. The 20" Juan Solo would have too tall standover and the 18" has 22.7 top tube.

The SASS has good components for the price. I could use my CK rear wheel and Fox, sell the Spot rear wheel and be that much closer to rebuilding the other bike. But wouldn' it be heavy wiht sus fork?

Other frames I looked at are:
    Ionic Johny Rotten $750 and light 3.5lbs
    On-One but is it disc compatible? and not sure of price or weight
    Surly1x1, Zion ebb, SC Chameleon $400+/- but heavy?

Also was lookig at Spot SS, Ventana El Toro, and Spicers but don't know anything abuot them.

I usualy ride crosscountry, single track with some tight turns and wet roots and steep fire roads. No jumpig.

Please let me have your opinions on these or any other options out there.

I do require a disc brake frame and prefere aluminum for it's stifness and handling.

Thanks in advance
    DirtSS
    Last edited by DirtSS; 10-07-2004 at 09:24 PM.

mtbr member

Spot

So I read your post, see lots of steel bikes mentioned but at the end you say you like Aluminum better? I used to feel the same way, now I will never buy another Aluminum hardtail, the steel rides that much better to me. Not sure why you feel aluminum would handle better over steel either as handling is usually more geometry, tires and rider.

Ok, I can speak to the Surly and Spot frames.

The Surly is heavier, but not enough to be hateble at the low price of entry. I fully reccomend the Surly as a first dedicated single. The ride quality is nice and the frame takes either V's or Discs. My only issue with my 1x1 was the seat post slipping which I cured. I sold my Surly to Toowoobarider so its off to Australia! I'm sure I'll miss it, but at least its on an adventure of a lifetime.

So, sold the Surly for my Spot. The Spot is an upgrade of sorts from the Surly, albeit at a price increase. The Spot frame is lighter, and better made than the Surly. The downtube on the Spot is formed for better stiffness in the bottom bracket area, and it seems to work. My Spot is disc only, but they'll make it how ever you like. Spot offers 26 or 29" wheels, steel or Ti, EBB or sliding disc mounts and will paint it how ever you like. Michael at Spot is top notch to deal with too. My only ding on the Spot is rear wheel clearance, the Surly will take a huge tire, but the Spot is more limited to something like 2.3. I haven't found this to be a big issue where I ride, but I thought its worth mentioning just incase you want to run huge tires. One other area I like the Spot better is handling. The Spot is a quick handler, but not unstable at speed like many quick handling bikes. The geometry is very nice. The trails near me are very twisty and the Spot is a ball to ride on them. Climbing traits are very good too. Over all I love my Spot.

Good luck on your decision. Hope this helps!

MC

Quote Originally Posted by DirtSS
    My Stumpy FSR ran away last week and I want to buy a new SS but can't decide what to get. My current SS is an 03 Stumpjumper hardtail geared 32x19 without tensioner, CK rear SS wheel, Fox Vanilla fork and Avid mech disc.

So I have all the parts to swap over to a new frame but what to get?

I would like to set the Stumpy up geared (or 1x9) and thinking about the SASS so I would have fewer parts to buy to have 2 bikes. And the extra SS parts such as rear wheel and cranks could be sold to offset the cost.

Of course I started looking at SS frames and like the Salsa Juan Solo. Would be a lot more $$$ in the long run but I could slowly rebuild the Stumpy.

Here are my thoughts and concerns:

Ride the Stumpy as is and buy a new (or used FS bike)but I realy want an SS specific bike.

The Salsa frame seems light (3.3lbs) for the price (lbs says way less than the msrp of $750) but top tube is short.
    I'm 6' and like the 19" Stumpy with 24.2 top tube. The 20" Juan Solo would have too tall standover and the 18" has 22.7 top tube.

The SASS has good components for the price. I could use my CK rear wheel and Fox, sell the Spot rear wheel and be that much closer to rebuilding the other bike. But wouldn' it be heavy wiht sus fork?

Other frames I looked at are:
    Ionic Johny Rotten $750 and light 3.5lbs
    On-One but is it disc compatible? and not sure of price or weight
    Surly1x1, Zion ebb, SC Chameleon $400+/- but heavy?

Also was lookig at Spot SS, Ventana El Toro, and Spicers but don't know anything abuot them.

I usualy ride crosscountry, single track with some tight turns and wet roots and steep fire roads. No jumpig.

Please let me have your opinions on these or any other options out there.

I do require a disc brake frame and prefere aluminum for it's stifness and handling.

Thanks in advance
    DirtSS
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ride Bikes, Drink Beer

Go with Steel

I recently ditched my converted Stumpjumper SS, and purchased a Surly 1x1. I went with Surly for a number of reasons including cost and frame material (wanted steel). I agree completely with Mellowcat, that I am done with Aluminum hardtails. The steel is a nice ride. The 1x1 is a bit heavier, but not anything that you couldn't get used to quickly, and replacing the rigid steel fork with a susp. fork won't add much weight. I personally am completely satisfied w/ my 1x1. I also looked at the SASS. That bike is spec'd real good for the $$$. I know two guys that ride 'em and they love 'em. To On One isn't disc compatible and is the same weight as the 1x1. You might like the long top tube on the On One, though.

On the other hand, I know a couple guys who ride Spots. Damn nice rides. Lighter, better built frames.

The Chameleon is nice too, but it's aluminum. Quick bike that is versatile if you want it to be a geared rig later.

Jabberwocky Jockey

Try Haro

I have one of these and I can't believe there isn't that much talk about them. It's an awesome bike, steel frame, EBB, handles like it's on rails. A 19 inch frame (my size) has a almost 24" top tube. It has a msrp of $500 but I paid much less at my LBS.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Calling out from the Land of the Riding Hillbilly.

www.vassagocycles.com
    www.ntmba.org

My Blog

hispanic mechanic

Complete bike options...

If you're not in a huge hurry, Bianchi has bike options of the SS variety for '05- the G.U.S.S and the new S.A.S.S. The G is aluminum, the S is steel. Both come specced with Avid cable discs, the G comes with a White Ind. freewheel and a R.S. Reba. The S is full rigid with Shim. f/w.
    Pricing will be approx. $1200 for the G.U.S.S., $850 for the S.A.S.S.

the los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

mtbr member

The Haro

is a deal for sure. EBB at $500, hard to believe really. What kind of steel is it made from?

MC

Quote Originally Posted by Darkwing Duck
    I have one of these and I can't believe there isn't that much talk about them. It's an awesome bike, steel frame, EBB, handles like it's on rails. A 19 inch frame (my size) has a almost 24" top tube. It has a msrp of $500 but I paid much less at my LBS.

Jabberwocky Jockey
    Quote Originally Posted by MellowCat
    is a deal for sure. EBB at $500, hard to believe really. What kind of steel is it made from?

MC
    Supposed to be Tange Prestige (although there is no decals on the frame saying such). It's fairly light for a steel frame (w/EBB). Around 4.5 pounds on my somewhat accurate scale.
    Calling out from the Land of the Riding Hillbilly.

www.vassagocycles.com
    www.ntmba.org

My Blog

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    How about a Kona Unit or Explosif? Both are steel, disk brake compatible, sliding droputs and cheap.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sslos
    If you're not in a huge hurry, Bianchi has bike options of the SS variety for '05- the G.U.S.S and the new S.A.S.S. The G is aluminum, the S is steel. Both come specced with Avid cable discs, the G comes with a White Ind. freewheel and a R.S. Reba. The S is full rigid with Shim. f/w.
    Pricing will be approx. $1200 for the G.U.S.S., $850 for the S.A.S.S.

the los
    Did you get this info off a website? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, but I didn't see any thing about the 05 Bianchi's yet...

Is the S.a.S.S. still gonna be chromed-out?

hispanic mechanic

Directly from Bianchi...

Quote Originally Posted by dipster
    Did you get this info off a website? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, but I didn't see any thing about the 05 Bianchi's yet...

Is the S.a.S.S. still gonna be chromed-out?
    I was at Interbike this week, and since we're a Bianchi dealer, I got to sit through the spiel.
    Yes, the S.A.S.S. is still chromed. I was hoping it would have the same panel decals as the Pista, but no luck.
    OT (kinda)- Bianchi's line-up for '05 is, by far, the most impressive full line I've seen in a looooooong time. I'm not saying that because I work for a dealer, and anyone who's familiar with me knows I don't hesitate to throw the B.S. flag. Top to bottom, this line was the best at the show; two complete disc-braked singlespeeds (steel rigid, alu. hardtail,) a pink ss frameset, two complete track bikes, and a track frameset. I won't go into their geared stuff here, or their road stuff, but let's just say there was some contemplation of liquor store armed robbery...
    We now return you to our regularly scheduled thread...

the los
    Last edited by sslos; 10-09-2004 at 09:24 AM. Reason: forgot stuff...
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

drm
    old enough to know better
    Jul 2004
    I like the Ventana El Toro. I am more amazed by it everytime I ride it. It doesn't chatter and beat you up like most aluminum frames. You can't beat the Grinch Green.

Derailleurs owned: 0
    They also have the singlespeed version of the Milano... Rollo...

Quote Originally Posted by sslos
    ....Bianchi's line-up for '05 is, by far, the most impressive full line I've seen in a looooooong time.... two complete disc-braked singlespeeds (steel rigid, alu. hardtail,) a pink ss frameset, two complete track bikes, and a track frameset....
    the los

mtbr member
    I bought a SASS this year and have been completely satifsied with it. Nothing bad to say about it at all. The parts spec was top notch for the buck and it's been a blast to ride. The only thing about the parts spec is that it comes with a crappy headset but that's changed out easily enough. I wanted something that I could get into at under $1000 so this was it. Here's a pic of mine.