Need a new SS crankset - recommendations?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2011

Need a new SS crankset - recommendations?

Just noticed one of the chainring holes on my Truvativ Noir crankset is cracked, these have lived a long healthy life, but now time for a new cransket on my Aluminum Highball SS.

Been leaning towards going with a Shimano Zee crankset, mainly for the price and (overkill) durability. Wondering if anyone is running a Zee crankset?

I've only run GXP crankset on my singlespeed up to this point.

Any other recommendations?

Thanks! Ride on!

mtbr member
    Slx
    Signature

mtbr member
    I run a SRAM XX1 spiderless with a cheap-o GXP BB and a lot of my riding buddies do as well. A few guys have gone to Chris King bottom brackets for their XX1s, too. Nice light, stiff crank for a singlespeed and no crank bolts to worry about. Very straightforward install and nice and simple...just like singlespeeds.

The only disadvantage is that I have to remove the non-drive crankarm to adjust my EBB. No big deal, really.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by A1an View Post
    Slx
    There's a 1x SLX option? Or is this converting a 2x or 3x SLX to Singlering?

mtbr member
    converting to single ring.

How much money are you looking to spend and what are you looking for in a crankset? Hell, I've been using the simple deore hollowtech crankset as a replacement of my old square taper bottom bracket. It's lighter, but the square taper just worked, forever.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    converting to single ring.

How much money are you looking to spend and what are you looking for in a crankset? Hell, I've been using the simple deore hollowtech crankset as a replacement of my old square taper bottom bracket. It's lighter, but the square taper just worked, forever.

I'm aiming to stay under $200, ideally under $150....that's why the Zee crankset is so appealing. I'm not particularly concerned with weight (I have a dropper on my SS), and the fact that Zee is designed for DH use, I'm confident it will be durable.

I've very much appreciated how easy GXP cranks are to maintain and I've never had any real creak issues while using them. I'm hoping to find the same with the Zees.

mtbr member
    I have a set of Zee's and have no complaints. The plastic bb spacers had to go (68/73mm shims) Replaced them with philwood parts. Solid

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post
    I run a SRAM XX1 spiderless with a cheap-o GXP BB and a lot of my riding buddies do as well. A few guys have gone to Chris King bottom brackets for their XX1s, too. Nice light, stiff crank for a singlespeed and no crank bolts to worry about. Very straightforward install and nice and simple...just like singlespeeds.

The only disadvantage is that I have to remove the non-drive crankarm to adjust my EBB. No big deal, really.
    I'm running this setup also. My only complaint is that on my niner I have to remove the crank arm to adjust the EBB. A friend of mine has X0 cranks on his niner and is able to adjust without removing the arm.

Recently saw xx1 cranks with chainring for around $270.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    jenson has some raceface cranks heavily discounted... i have had the ride crankset on my ss for like a year now with zero complaints. buy 3 sets within your budget and still have beer money left over...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IrieRider View Post
    There's a 1x SLX option? Or is this converting a 2x or 3x SLX to Singlering?
    Converting. Sometimes you will find good deals on new or take-off SLX cranksets without rings though.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill View Post
    buy 3 sets within your budget and still have beer money left over...
    Or buy one set and have beer and whiskey money left over. You ride a SS, don't you? priorities man.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill View Post
    jenson has some raceface cranks heavily discounted... i have had the ride crankset on my ss for like a year now with zero complaints. buy 3 sets within your budget and still have beer money left over...
    Solid info! That Ride crankset for $70 is tempting! What's up with this note from Jenson tho? "Please Note: This is a new item that has never been used. However, it may lack the original packaging."

I've never ordered from them before...

mtbr member
    Solid info! That Ride crankset for $70 is tempting! What's up with this note from Jenson tho? "Please Note: This is a new item that has never been used. However, it may lack the original packaging."

I've ordered a few things from Jenson like that. They seem to be take offs from stock builds or OE spares that have never been on a bike. My experience was fine.

mtbr member
    I have ordered OE items from Jenson as well. Sometimes the items actually came in sealed retail packaging although the description said it was a take off. Usually it's just a sealed bag with part number and description on it, all hardware and instructions are included.

What Race Face crankset are you looking at? I recently purchased a Race Face Ride triple chainring crankset for a cheap build I did with an old 26'' frame that I'm using for the trainer and gravel rides. Absolutely no complaints for the $50 or $60 I spent, especially considering the BB was included. But I'm of the opinion that if you choose a proven reliable and efficient BB design for a crankset, it's simply a tradeoff between price and weight after that.

mtbr member

I trust JensonUSA 100%. I've ordered tons from them and have had nothing but great service.

I recently ordered a set of "non original packaging" tires. These were Maxxis Ardent EXO/TR 2.25s that were $62 normally but $38 without the packaging. They arrived loose in a big box and were perfect and had never been installed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    If you go with the Raceface, pick up an XTR bottom bracket. RF ones are crap and will only last a couple hundred miles. Other than that, I'm a huge fan of my Atlas cranks.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for all the input.

Pretty sure I am going to go with the Zee cranks, I like the Shimano design a bit better.

mtbr member
    These are a must if you have a 68mm bb.

Outboard Bottom Bracket Cup Spacers (Set of 3) ? Phil Wood & Co

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    some good deals on 1x cranks on steepandcheap right now...

mtbr member
    I ordered the open package RaceFace that's mentioned above. Its just missing the actual package, but they bubble wrap it up all nice... its getting all banged up on the fixed 29er now. Solid crankset!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I have an xt set and some deore's. Was on rf, gave em to my wife. Not sure i could tell a whole heck of a lot of difference among them, once you take the rings off. I looked at the Zee's but I couldn't figure out how those crankarms are different from deore, which is way cheaper. Same is said about slx vs xt arms. I like my xt cranks, but I don't know why.

LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Nov 2015
    Middleburn Uno. White Industries Eno. Lightning.

mtbr member
    I've been fine with RF cranks for a while now, starting with the ISIS prodigy crankset a decade ago to an evolve and now having a couple sets of deus cranks, one cc machined while the other is forged. Not all those cranks have been used as a SS specifically, but they can certainly can be. I've recently seen some really good deals for the turbines on fleabay. I have been using a Truvativ firex SS crankset, but that will be replaced with the cc deus very soon. I really like the WI Eno stuff, but they are square taper and I prefer the larger stiffer thru axle and outboard bearings of the RFs. I haven't had big problems with the RF BBs, but the seals are not the best. However, you can get replacement enduro bearings with better seals so that's what I'm doing. The other thing is that the Truvativ firex is clearly a 9spd crank that does not have the 64bcd holes drilled out or threaded, but they are there. I don't think one needs a SS specific crank unless you really want one for the aesthetics. I've seen a lot of XT SLX cranks being used for SS on here and don't think you can go wrong with those either.
    Last edited by dbhammercycle; 12-28-2015 at 12:20 PM.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

They call me Shoogs
    m970 off ebay for 100-120

Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I'm running 175mm Truvativ Descendant GXP cranks with a Renthal SR4 32T chainring. These one-piece cranks are clean, stiff, relatively light and can be found online for under $200 (plus BB and chainring).

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I've got a couple pair of race face cranks...good stuff.

Have forged Ride XCs on my rigid monocog, they're ISIS interface. ISIS BBs are crap but the crank arms are stiff. I don't put alot of miles on the monocog. Its my winter short-duration high-intensity rain slop bike to stay in shape and not grind up my whiz-bang carbon boingy-boingy wunderbike in the heavy mud. I'm content putting a new ISIS bb in every season or so.

My 5010CC has the RF Turbine Cinch cranks on it, set up direct mount single ring NW. I really like them, super versatile with the cinch system, you can get spiders to go back to 2X or whatever. It's a crankset you can buy and it will adapt to whatever frame and transmission setup you want to run. Move it bike to bike to bike. The finish is durable after some good rock hits to the crank ends they still look great.

mtbr member
    I've always used ENO'S on my SS builds and loved them. Cheap, light, and bullet proof for me.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 5