Need new front 29er tire- Mtbr.com
    SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008

Need new front 29er tire

My Haro Mary SS is giving me many fun-filled rides, but the front tire is lacking! Mary is stock except for bars, stem, grips, seat, CB Candy pedals, and reversed rear 29x2.2 DTC Nevegal for much improved climbing traction. I really love riding this bike SS, rigid and 29er is great, hardly touched my other bike since buying this! =P

Love the volume of the 29x2.2 Nevs and am keeping the rear for good climbing traction, at least for now. The front has washed out on me several times in hardpack and loose over hardpack conditions, so looking for more side bite and similar volume front tire (running rigid) that will excel in these conditions, but doesn't go to crap in some light mud and wet rocks/roots. I'm about 200 lbs. geared up to ride, so less volume has me worried about ride quality and pinch flats. Don't want to run tubeless either.

My stock wheels are WTB Trail 29ers.

I've heard good things about Maxxis Ignitor 29x2.1, Geax Saguaro 29x2.3 (looked more like 2.1 mounted), Specialized Captain 29x2.2, WTB Prowler SL 29x2.1, WTB Wolverine 29x2.2....how do the volume of these tires compare to my current Nevs?

EDIT: Faster rolling and not quite as heavy would be nice too! This is for NorCal terrain and riding conditions.

OK, please suggest good rear tires too....happy so far with reversed Nev rear, but can always get better!

What tire(s) do you recommend and why?
    Last edited by Natedogz; 11-20-2009 at 10:15 AM.
    Get off the couch and ride!

nothing to see here
    I have Maxxis Ardents 2.25 x 26 on my SS. It's a great cornering tyre and deals with mud and wet conditions very well. Leans well too. I'm about 150 lbs and run it up front at about 25psi with no worries. Rolls very well too. http://www.maxxis.com/Bicycle/Mountain/Ardent.aspx

Rates well in 29er reviews on here, but not many reviews in total.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

I'm just messing with you
    In my experience, the Ignitor is not a good front tire.

I'm picking up a Bontrager 29-3 front today, hoping for improved behavior tomorrow.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

Plus size jersey model
    The only tires I run are Rampages. I have yet to find a tire that can hold up that well here in Tucson where everything just gets shredded. Nevegals don't even last a month on my 29er and the Rampages have almost the same tread pattern but last three times as long.

Meat Clever
    Ardent. 29-3 front does not roll as fast and seriously sucks under hard cornering compared with Ardent in conditions you describe. Learned it the hard way more than once.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaEps View Post
    A little bit of pee just trickled out of my pipi when I saw that.

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevob
    I have Maxxis Ardents 2.25 x 26 on my SS. It's a great cornering tyre and deals with mud and wet conditions very well. Leans well too. I'm about 150 lbs and run it up front at about 25psi with no worries. Rolls very well too. http://www.maxxis.com/Bicycle/Mountain/Ardent.aspx

Rates well in 29er reviews on here, but not many reviews in total.
    Looks interesting....but wow Maxxis site sucks...no sizes, weights and only one tiny tread picture??? How's it roll compared to Nevs?
    Found 29x2.25 for sale...good size. 690 and 750 grams each as per GT's reveiw.

Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob
    In my experience, the Ignitor is not a good front tire.

I'm picking up a Bontrager 29-3 front today, hoping for improved behavior tomorrow.
    Why not front Ignitor?

Looking forward to hearing how you like the Bonty 29-3!

Quote Originally Posted by sikwoodbiker
    The only tires I run are Rampages. I have yet to find a tire that can hold up that well here in Tucson where everything just gets shredded. Nevegals don't even last a month on my 29er and the Rampages have almost the same tread pattern but last three times as long.
    Are they staying put on your rims or are they slipping?
    Last edited by Natedogz; 11-20-2009 at 10:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Natedogz
    Looks interesting....but wow Maxxis site sucks...no sizes, weights and only one tiny tread picture??? How's it roll compared to Nevs?
    click the "Specifications" tab right above the picture and you will find the sizes and weights.

mtbr member
    I ride my 29er in the Sierras, Auburn, etc, and use the Capt 29x2.2. I like it very much.
    :wq

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    click the "Specifications" tab right above the picture and you will find the sizes and weights.
    Thanks, but it's not clickable for me in IE or Firefox.

Quote Originally Posted by nachomc
    I ride my 29er in the Sierras, Auburn, etc, and use the Capt 29x2.2. I like it very much.
    We ride some of the same trails, Sacramento here. I also like Granite Bay trails. I have some Specialized Fast Traks that are great, but only 2.0 wide...and the front one is slipping on front wheel under braking.....but they are Alex rims and none of the sets I've had were good for very long.
    Last edited by Natedogz; 11-21-2009 at 01:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Thanks, but it's not clickable for me in IE of Firefox.
    Thats weird. I'm using Firefox too, and I just checked it in Chrome too.

Anyway, here is the info:
    Size TPI Bead Max Psi Durometer Weight (g)
    29X2.25 60 FOLDABLE 65 60 745
    29X2.40 60 FOLDABLE 65 60 795

I'm just messing with you
    Why not front Ignitor?
    Washes out. Badly. Could be me. Works great as a rear tire though.
    Just picked it up. It was about 20g under advertised weight on the shops scale. I'll be trying it out tomorrow.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

mtbr member
    I live further up in NorCal (Chico) but I imagine the conditions are somewhat similar. I am currently running an Ardent 2.25 up front and it is pretty good. Definitely a bit faster than the Rampage I had been running for a long time but still lots of grip in most conditions. However, it has washed out hard and very fast on dust over hardpack once and I haven't tried to push that boundary since. Transition knobs on the 2.25" size are half height and sparse, so if you are going to lean it over on hardpack you have to lean it all the way over to get full bite from the side knobs. I still have full confidence in it on any surface with more to dig into though.

Rampage is more similar in design to the Nev (which I haven't tried) but I have not had any wash out problems with the Rampage. It has been my favorite tire for confidence-inspiring grip in the hard, loose, chunky, etc conditions of the NorCal dry season

Also, here is a summary of tire volumes taken from shiggy's mtbtires site
    Ardent 2.4 = 32.3
    Rampage = 28.6
    Ardent 2.25 = 28.1
    WTB Stout = 27.7
    Nevegal = 27.1

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Wv_bob, ok thanks washing out is not good especially in the front.

Boomn, yes weird about the site. I'd say you have similar conditions....been there lately but didn't ride any trails as I was busy with work and didn't know where to go if I had the time. I don't like tires that have an unpredictable squirmy/loose zone, they do not inspire confidence as you said.

Great info on Shiggy's MTB tires site! Wish he had some Specialized 29er specs.

mtbr member
    FWIW, the new 2.4 version of the Ardent looks to be much better though. Here is a post with a good picture of the tread. The knobs are all taller, they made the transition knobs full height, and they made it the biggest volume of any non-DH 29er tire. If I didn't have so much life left on my 2.25 Ardent and an unused Stout waiting to be tried, I would buy one right now

nothing to see here
    From the specs page on Maxxis website

Ardent
    Part Number Size TPI Bead Max Psi Durometer Weight (g)
    TB72555000 26X2.25 60 FOLDABLE 65 60 645
    TB74177000 26X2.40 60 FOLDABLE 65 60 815
    TB96712500 29X2.25 60 FOLDABLE 65 60 745
    TB96789000 29X2.40 60 FOLDABLE 65 60 795

Models and sizes may be limited by market
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

Plus size jersey model
    Found 29x2.25 for sale...good size. 690 and 750 grams each as per GT's reveiw.

Why not front Ignitor?

Are they staying put on your rims or are they slipping?
    Yes the rampages are just fine on my rims and I run them tubeless on my stock rim that came with my Mary SS.

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    ....Ardent 2.25 up front and it is pretty good. Definitely a bit faster than the Rampage I had been running for a long time but still lots of grip in most conditions. However, it has washed out hard and very fast on dust over hardpack once and I haven't tried to push that boundary since....
    Ouch, that is my experience with front Nev in same conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by nachomc
    Pic and width measurement mounted on what rim if you have time?

mtbr member
    Both of my 29r's use WTB Prowler SLs on the front end. Super light weight tire. Maybe a little too light, as I tend to destroy casings on a regular basis. Traction is excellent in all conditions. Great front tire.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Members who have read this thread: 0