need Ideas for cheap cranks- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

need Ideas for cheap cranks

OK guys....the wife has cut me off on my SS build.....she said I can't spend any more money. I pretty much have everything I need except for some lightweight cranks. Anyone know of any good places to parts barter? I looked on this site and didn't see anything. 36 teeth is what I am looking for.

AZ
    banned
    Post an ad in the classifieds :
    http://classifieds.mtbr.com/index.php

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    try ebay. i got a set of XTR M970 cranks for a (relatively) decent price because the bolt holes for the inner chainring were stripped. i sanded them down to bare metal and i think they look pretty good. they're definitely lightweight.

you should search for your cranks first, then worry about the chainring. just keep in mind while searching, that certain BCD mount patterns are more popular than others. my 970s use the popular 4x104BCD, whereas 960s use a proprietary 4x102BCD and 95Xs use either a 5-bolt spider or spiderless. almost everybody is different, so be sure you explore the chainring options before you commit to a certain make/model of crankset.

Ovaries on the Outside
    I have a 36t Blackspire crank in solid condition- bashguard too. 94 bcd. If you're coming in and budget gets tight, I'll ship them to you for no money. Just PM me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Try buying individual crank arms. Cambria has a drive side M739 arm for $18! You'd have to dig around for the left side arm however.

Still, in some instances, you may be able to find a deal.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Try 2nd hand stores like the Salvation Army. All you care about are the cranks and you might even get a few other spare parts in the process. I got a nice set of sugino square taper cranks that way. They are easy to clean up too. Look on MTBR in the singlespeed section for articles on cleaning up XTR cranks.

Another (got to get lucky) option is dumpster diving. You wouldn't believe what I have found in the dumpster. On my single speed right now, I have a set of Bontrager race lite 7005 mountain cranks that I found in the dumpster behind my local Trek store. I have over 500 miles on them, and they are still going very strong.

mtbr member
    Oh, geez. I never threw (not through) away a good set of cranks at the shop. I hope you aren't riding around on something that was a warranty or a recall. Good luck and remember to say yes on the organ donor part of your driver's liscense - I did!
    Last edited by djriddle; 06-20-2010 at 07:38 PM.
    BBI certified, 12+ years as mechanic

AZ
    banned
    I would'nt ride Bonty crank's to begin with , much less ones found in the garbage can . Hope you have good insurance . Good luck .

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Everyone has their preferences. I like the bonty cranks, and they are very strong and light. I can't possibly see why they would break or fail. They were barely used to begin with.

One idiot's trash is another smart man's treasure....

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    i guess these dumpster diving haters also don't buy used cars.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Yeah, no kidding. It's true that there is a lot of trash in the trash (stuff I'd never use), but then again there are gems, and I've been around bikes long enough to know good parts from bad parts.

smell the saddle...
    Go OEM, Bluesky had a bunch of cranks at killer deals. I got a OEM set of RaceFace cranks which I have been using for years now free of problems.

By the year end I hope to upgrade to Phil Wood BB with ENO cranks. If you are still looking by then, I'll give you mine, you cover shipping.

dontcha?
    dude, I have the perfect solution: $40, just get a BMX chain-ring.
    Transition V1 Cranks

EDIT: nevermind, kinda confusing, doesn't include BB or spindle, so maybe not such a good deal..
    "The future belongs to those that believe in the beauty of their dreams."

Members who have read this thread: 0