Need a hub recommendation for fixed gear- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Need a hub recommendation for fixed gear

Fixed gear 700 for street communting including winter in Duluth Minnesota.
    Recently stripped the threads of an origin 8 formula hub when trying to deaccelerate coming down the Duluth Hillside.
    Looking for a stronger hub less apt to fail.

Hear lots of good about Phil Wood but dang expensive
    Hear lots of bad and some fair to good about Surly
    Know Nothing about All City hubs

Help needed and appreciated.

Cwolfe

Apr 2007
    I've beaten on my Formula's for many a-miles with zero issues. They're so cheap, who cares if you strip one? Just make sure you've got a cog/FW on the other side so you can make it home.

AZ
    banned
    Convert a 100mm hub for use with a ISO gear.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Stripping a hub on a flying downhill ride with complete loss of the tranny can be a hairy experience. I would rather pay more and have more confidence in it. Only got about three weeks of riding before it was toasted.

mtbr member
    I'd vote for the Formulas for a budget hub as well. I'm 225lbs, and I've ridden mine for years, through winters, with a number of cog changes.

The All City hubs are Joytechs, I believe. Similar to Formula. Should be similar quality.

If you want really bomb-proof, I would go White Industries over Phil. The White track hub uses a super nice splined cog that will never strip. Super nice, and a lot cheaper than Phil. You should be able to get it for well under $200. Not sure if they make axle ends for 120mm though.

Or Cycles Victoire - made in France. Another splined option. Not sure who sells them in the US though ...

What's the spacing on your frame?

mtbr member
    White Industries for bomb proof.

Otherwise, I have had good luck with Soma. Other option is to get a cheap XT hub and tomi-cog it if you can get it to fit in the dropouts.

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddlincwolfe View Post
    Stripping a hub on a flying downhill ride with complete loss of the tranny can be a hairy experience. I would rather pay more and have more confidence in it. Only got about three weeks of riding before it was toasted.
    Do you have brakes?

Bro Mountainbiker
    I want to build some pauls or phil woods on my next set. But I dont skid so Im not sure if they would hold up. My formulas have been great so far...
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Dinner for wolves
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Convert a 100mm hub for use with a ISO gear.
    What he said. A properly installed cog and lockring on a FG hub should be fine for road use. I never had a problem with such a set up. For off road use, high torque/low gearing, I feel safer with the 6 bolt ISO cog set up. I have never tried the velosolo 100mm hub conversion, but it looks the biz.

As for 120mm hubs, I have used Miche, Suzue, and Surly. THe Suzue and Miche were trouble free. The Surly rear has been great, but the front hub has proven very hard to preload properly (may just be me).

THe Paul's look so bougie, but so beautiful.
    Responds to gravity

Dinner for wolves
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut View Post
    Do you have brakes?
    Doesn't make it any less scary...
    Responds to gravity

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak View Post
    Doesn't make it any less scary...
    I've never stripped a hub myself and only read about 2 instances of this happening (both on a roadie). Lock ring usually gets stripped (due to improper install with a hammer and screw driver) and the cog spins right off when back pressure is applied. But the chain stayed on the cog both times, so as long as he has brakes, no biggie.

Dinner for wolves
    The split second or more it takes to register a drivetrain failure and reach for brake still leaves room for scary.
    I have never dislodged a cog like that. I have gone to skid stop only to have my chainring crumple at the woirst moment. Similar failure. Very scary in traffic despite having the brake. In fact, in the panic I grabbed enough brake to endo...I landed on my feet though. Point is, the brake isa great thing to have, but drivetrain failures are always scary on a fixed regardless.
    Responds to gravity

Apr 2007
    I agree, although I don't do hipster skids nor run without brakes. But to the original point, I've never had issues with Formula hubs (on-road) and never had one strip. I wouldn't deem it necessary to change hubs (for that reason).

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I would steer away from Surly. I've had their "New" hubs on two different wheelsets and I will never use them again. They use adjustable sealed bearings that theoretically should allow for fine adjustment, but their hardware sucks, so it is almost impossible to correctly preload the bearings (like mentioned earlier in this thread). I've heard the same complaint from others.

From what I've seen the All-City and even the Dimension hubs are more reliable.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks for all the info. I am searching now about trying all city or white. Miss being fixed so I need to get fixed fix for a fix.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalom View Post
    White Industries for bomb proof.
    +1 for the white industries eno hub. If you're concerned about hub related failure the spline mounted cog design is bombproof and it's a beautiful piece of art. The eccentric feature is unnecessary for a dedicated ss frame, but the silver lining is you can use it to fine tune head angle, bb height, etc etc if you're into tinkering with such things.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddlincwolfe View Post
    Fixed gear 700 for street communting including winter in Duluth Minnesota.
    Recently stripped the threads of an origin 8 formula hub when trying to deaccelerate coming down the Duluth Hillside.
    Looking for a stronger hub less apt to fail.

Hear lots of good about Phil Wood but dang expensive
    Hear lots of bad and some fair to good about Surly
    Know Nothing about All City hubs

Help needed and appreciated.

Cwolfe
    I've had good luck with Surly, they are inexpensive. However, a buddy wrecked two Surly hubs in a month...So I can't say they are bombproof.

Paul makes great hubs, I'd always ride Paul if I had the doh. Bombproof.

I have a Phil Wood I might let go if you're interested in that route, but I need to double check that it's not just the SS version, in which case you'd have to run it suicide...

Pistol
    Jun 2007
    I've run Phil,Formula and Surly.All great.I've got eight years on my Surly hub including two loaded tours through the Sierra Madre,several runs from Tucson to Yuma and all around stomping the White mountains and Baja Arizona.I repacked the bearings with synthetic grease and they're great .The Phil hub took me through Western Australia without a thought,they are kinda bougie though...I've always wanted to run an ISO setup but what I'm running is working without issues.

miwuksurfer
    White Industry hubs are suprisingly nice US made hubs for a relatively cheap price. You cannot beat their splined interface either.