Need help understanding axles options...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Need help understanding axles options...

I have a 2010 Kona Unit 29er singlespeed. It came with crappy quick release skewers on the stock wheels. I was originally considering swapping them out for nicer Shimano Deore XT skewers. But, since I rarely need to remove the wheels...

What are my options for having a more solid connection without changing out hubs, etc.?

Specific recommendations appreciated.

Thanks.

Steve

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    This is not my area of expertise, but since no one else has responded yet, I will try. The real Shimano skewers are pretty good. Slightly better, I think DT Swiss and Crank Brothers make different kinds of split cam levers. After that, there are bolts, but the problem with bolts is that if you have a flat and need to remove the wheel on the trail, it is not so easy and you need to have the right tools. I think you have to replace the axles for bolts also.

Personally for the money (you can find them on ebay if you are patient) the Shimano skewers are hard to beat and clamp hard enough for almost any possible need.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I've been using these on all my bikes and they are solid http://www.bbbparts.com/quickreleases_bqr03.php

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Those say nothing about clamping better. They are for theft prevention. It looks to me like you would not be able to clamp them as tight as a quick release due to friction between the nuts and the fork/dropouts. I could be wrong, but these look like they would not be as good as good QR's.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    FYI, they clamp down plenty strong, used them on my rigid single speed, rigid geared 650b I live in Socal and we have plenty of bumps and my wheels stay put.

mtbr member
    I would go with these for sure if you have to keep the skewer style axle. If you have the option to upgrade to bolt on hubs, I would do it!

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...1_10000_200449
    My motorcycle runs on infant blood

Members who have read this thread: 0