need help peicing together a drive train.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2015

need help peicing together a drive train.

my bike is a 2013 kona splice setup with a 3x8 system. right now I've got a 16t cog conversion kit, a black spire stinger,( as my chain tensioner), narrow chain ring nuts, kmc 710 half link chain and a blackspire 96mm abcd narrow wide m8000 ring gear. problem being the asymmetrical bolt pattern.

now I was told half links aren't that good of a chain to have and that with singe speed a narrow wide isn't needed, but I am limited to a 96mm bcd with my current shimano m612.

mtbr member
    You can't run a NW ring with a half-link. You don't really need it for a SS anyway. Just get a new (regular) chain and you should be set.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Ya just there isn't a whole lot of selection with 96mm bcd. narrow wide is my only option feesably. And that i bought the m8000 chain ring itd be cheaper in the long run to get the boost spec crank set.( on the principle of building a boost spec as hardtail in the future)

so I'd like and think that using boost cranks with a ss will work. Since boost would need less outward shiming for proper chain line right?

mtbr member
    Why bother with a boost crankset? Get a standard crankset with a 104 BCD and it will work for years and years.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Ditch the half-link chain and get a normal KMC Z610. You don't need a narrow-wide chain-ring, but it won't hurt as long as your using a normal chain. I'm running them on my single speed and my dingle speed because they were the cheapest option.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    No going back now. I got a regular chain kmc x1 and the corresponding crank set. Only thing now is lining up the chain line.

mtbr member
    Hey Neon -

Putting together my first SS. I am using a Surley rear cog with a Narrowwide 11 speed front Chainring. Will this chain work?

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by NeonRyder View Post
    Ditch the half-link chain and get a normal KMC Z610. You don't need a narrow-wide chain-ring, but it won't hurt as long as your using a normal chain. I'm running them on my single speed and my dingle speed because they were the cheapest option.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark194 View Post
    Hey Neon -

Putting together my first SS. I am using a Surley rear cog with a Narrowwide 11 speed front Chainring. Will this chain work?

thanks!
    Are you talking about the Z610? Thats basically what i'm running on mine. Surly rear cog and narrowwide front ring.

mtbr member
    Yes, thank you!