Need help locating some parts- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Need help locating some parts

I have a couple things I would like to get for my Ironhorse warrior disc SS project.

I want to run a 21t rear with my 32 tooth front gear. Where can I find cheap SS gears? I was going to just use parts from my SRAM cassette I will be taking apart, but some have said they won't hold up. I was going to this cheap kit from Jenson:

DMR STS and Cassette Spacer Combo Kit > Components > Drivetrain > Singlespeed, BMX, and Track Cogs | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

I did some testing on my Rush and there is no way I can do a 32/16 around my area. Even with a 32/17 on my Rush I would not be able to take hills like I need too. So should I use a gear from my cassette or order a different one?

I am also just removing the inner and outer ring from a shimano alivio crank set. The chain was pretty bad off so I pretty much destroyed it upon removal. So I will need a chain for this setup. Should I run a SS chain, or will a 8/9 speed chain suffice?

I don't plan on doing anything extreme with this build since it will be a rigid 26er with cheap stuff on it. I still want it to be able to take a moderate amount of abuse so I can ride my local trails.

It looks like I am going to need roughly $200 to make this bike a rigid SS.
    Last edited by Sickmak90; 07-17-2012 at 02:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Cheap Cogs? Checkout amazon Amazon.com: redline steel cassette cog

Don't see a 21t right now, but I think I've een them in the past. Maybe you can get away with a 20t?

These are no Surelys but for the price I bought about 5 different sizes to test out and have on hand. Have a few hundered miles on one and still looks strong.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    $10 for a very nice cog at Planet X/Titus/OnOne,

On-One Groove Armada Single Speed Sprocket

mtbr member
    if you LBS orders from J&B Importers, you can get Origin8 cogs pretty cheap. Singleworks cogs are pretty cheap too, cheaper than Surly cogs at least.

mtbr member
    I also noticed some people claiming the DMR single speed kit does not work with a single speed chain. Should I just get a 9 speed chain since I am using my Alivio front chain ring and may end up trying cogs from my 9 speed cassette until I decide what ratio I want?

bui
    Ain't afraid of no ghosts
    Be careful with those cheap cogs with almost no base (like the ones that come in those kits)...I had one gouge itself into my WTB Laserdisc freehub body after 2 years of riding...was not a good surprise when I went to change cogs. I'd go with that On-One that Slash posted, looks pretty good for the price.

You ran this race with no real heart
    Yeah right back at the start
    You'd already lost it

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bui View Post
    Be careful with those cheap cogs with almost no base (like the ones that come in those kits)...I had one gouge itself into my WTB Laserdisc freehub body after 2 years of riding...was not a good surprise when I went to change cogs. I'd go with that On-One that Slash posted, looks pretty good for the price.
    won't happen if you have a steel freehub body.

local trails rider
    What I did was get a set of cheap cogs for finding my gear, and then buy an On-One Groove Armada for long term use.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Members who have read this thread: 0