need help- Mtbr.com

Thread: need help

don't move for trees

need help

I am a total noob when it comes to single speed bikes, i basicaly know that they're single speed i just broke my back up bike and i want to switch it over to a single speed, since it is my back up i want a cheap set up. Also how many teeth on front/back? i'll mainly use it for cross country riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BKnight
    I am a total noob when it comes to single speed bikes, i basicaly know that they're single speed i just broke my back up bike and i want to switch it over to a single speed, since it is my back up i want a cheap set up. Also how many teeth on front/back? i'll mainly use it for cross country riding.
    For chainring/freewheel what I did was rode a few trails on my geared bike pretending it was a ss. So basically try a gear or two in the back keep it in the middle up front and figuere what works good for you (count the teeth).this place has a gearing calculater http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gain.html
    By the way ss is about compromise and simplicity so sometimes you'll be spinning and sometimes grinding, but it all evens out. 2-1 gearing (32f/16/r) seems the place to start. If it's really hilly try maybe a 32 20.
    Have fun

Members who have read this thread: 0