need flat-prevention technology- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

need flat-prevention technology

i was having a great ride on the chicopee trail today, then i flatted halfway out on my second lap. no problem, the front is easy to change, used my spare tube. then i flatted the back about a mile later. oh ****. i've never carried 2 spare tubes before. hell, i've never flatted on a mountain bike before. so i patched the leak and carried on. then i flatted again on the back after about 2 more miles. enough of this. i carried the bike for the last 3 miles back to the car. i can't let this happen again.

i am limited to 45mm wide tires, with my surly cross check. but i need to do something to stop pinch flatting. i pick the cleanest lines i can. and i think i have enough air in the tires. what about the stan's system, and other tube sealants out there? will stan's system work with WTB mutanoraptors and mavic open pro rims? what about slime tubes for 700 X 25 in a 45mm mutanoraptor? then there are the really thick tubes, with their extra rotation weight. any help here would be appreciated.

pedalphile
    Quote Originally Posted by jrwmojo
    i was having a great ride on the chicopee trail today, then i flatted halfway out on my second lap. no problem, the front is easy to change, used my spare tube. then i flatted the back about a mile later. oh ****. i've never carried 2 spare tubes before. hell, i've never flatted on a mountain bike before. so i patched the leak and carried on. then i flatted again on the back after about 2 more miles. enough of this. i carried the bike for the last 3 miles back to the car. i can't let this happen again.

i am limited to 45mm wide tires, with my surly cross check. but i need to do something to stop pinch flatting. i pick the cleanest lines i can. and i think i have enough air in the tires. what about the stan's system, and other tube sealants out there? will stan's system work with WTB mutanoraptors and mavic open pro rims? what about slime tubes for 700 X 25 in a 45mm mutanoraptor? then there are the really thick tubes, with their extra rotation weight. any help here would be appreciated.
    There are lots of options... Here are some off the top of my head. I'll leave it up to more experienced folks to debate the merits of each, but I thought I'd get the ball rolling...

1. Stan's no-tubes (Some people love em, some people seem to have trouble)
    2. Slime tubes or similar (I've heard they're messy)
    3a. Use a regular Presta tube, poke a little hole in it, pour in sealant, patch the tube (or count on it to seal itself)
    3b. Use a regular Schrader tube, remove the valve core, pour in sealant, replace valve core
    4. Those really thick puncture-proof tubes
    5. Bomb-proof tires of some sort
    6. That new Slime integrated tube/tire thing (seems pricey)
    7. Tire liners (I use those on my commuter)
    8. This goo that my local bike shop injected into my MTB tubes through the Presta valve (works so far)

OK enough procrastinating
    now the world is gone i'm just o n e

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by jrwmojo

I lived in Tucson from 97-2000 and I just said screw the added weight and used the thick thorn resistant/proof tubes, and tuffy liners, never had a problem after that, but that does add a lot of weight, and rotational at that. If you live in a very thorny part of the country, like Arizona, texas, etc, I say go for the toughest gusto you can, I even knew people who would put slime in thorn resistant tubes, with tuffy liners, I believe they could probably runover a bed of nails, and a milinea of broken glass mirrors, and still have air in there tires. I also hear that specialized aradillo tires are very tough, but they are more of a commuting/road tire.

Misfit Psycles
    i suggest h/d tubes. the extra weight be damned. i would rather ride a bike XX grams heavier than push a light one anyday.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    Take the thorn you left in the tire out? ;-)

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Solo, with others
    Take the thorn you left in the tire out? ;-)

i inspected the tires when i got back home. there weren't any thorns. to be honest, i didn't fix the first flat in the rear wheel good enough- it was leaking right where the patch was. but i definitely got 2 pinch flats within 3 miles.

Recovering couch patato
    But with pinch flats, don't you just need wider tires or more pressure?

Members who have read this thread: 0