Need expert SS advice for Chain-line woes- Mtbr.com
    The Duuude, man...

Need expert SS advice for Chain-line woes

OK Gangsters, I need expert advice.

I'm building a Rohloff equiped bike. I need a 54mm chainline.

I already have my cranks, which are WI ENO's, which with a 113mm bb yeilds a 47.5 chainline, due to extremly low Q-factor.

My math tells me to acheive a 54mm chainline I need:

54-47.5 = 6.5

6.5x2 = 13

113 + 13 = 126 mm BB Spindle needed for 54mm chainline.

Am I correct?

-------

I'm not really sure I want a hu-mong-o 126mm square taper spline BB...?? Or do i?

---

Plan B: Just get a modern XT triple crankset and run a ring in the out-board 3rd-ring position???

---

Advice please?
    FS: Everything

mtbr member
    Sounds right. Would work, but that long of a spindle would probably be flexy.

achiever
    You don't need to go out in both directions. You could use a 118BB and put a 1.5mm shim on the drive side. I have a Shimano UN54 bb and have it shimmed 2.5 mm and it works ok. Only ok because the non drive side cup that came with it has a shoulder so it's really not supporting the bearings the way it should. I will be ordering one of these: http://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?ID=2794 so everything will be seated properly. Don't worry about the off centeredness of the spindle, I'm willing to bet you won't notice.

Another option is to opt for a Phil Wood BB which is much more expensive but you could go with a 119 and install it so the cups are offset to the drive side by .5mnm

Members who have read this thread: 0