Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    bmw
    bmw is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    296

    Need Crank Advice

    I recently broke my Race Face Evolve XC cranks. I am not 100% sure but I think the bolt that holds the drive crank on is messed up so the crank cannot be tightened all the way, it just wobbles. My LBS said they would have to ship the cranks to RF and it would be at least 2 - 3 weeks before they come back, which means probably twice that until I get my bike back.

    So can someone recommend a good SS crankset and BB for a Niner One9? I only weight 170# but I manage to break stuff constantly so something reliable would be good. I don't have any preference for square taper, ISIS, outboard, etc. standards unless one is noticeably more reliable than another. I'd like to try something besides Race Face; nothing wrong with them but I might as well try something else since I am shopping. I have been really happy with my White Ind freewheel so I was looking at their cranks. Are these reliable and a good fit for a One9?

    Any advice on things to consider when shopping for a crankset and specific recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

  2. #2
    What day are we riding?
    Reputation: Rockin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,088
    Depending on arm length needs, I like the Hone, LX, XT cranks. If you need 180mm arms go with the XT. Everyone has their opinions. I have run the above plus White Ind ENO cranks, Vuelta S Taper cranks, FMF BMX cranks, FSA X-types (hated their BB's).

  3. #3
    bmw
    bmw is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    296
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockin
    Depending on arm length needs, I like the Hone, LX, XT cranks. If you need 180mm arms go with the XT. Everyone has their opinions. I have run the above plus White Ind ENO cranks, Vuelta S Taper cranks, FMF BMX cranks, FSA X-types (hated their BB's).
    Thanks Rockin. A few things I forgot to mention: I need 175's and I would really like to try one of the spiderless systems I have seen like White Ind, Middle Burn, etc... Do you know if the Shimano cranks will work for this? I have seen some posts with Shimano cranks and Boone cogs but I am not sure if they are the current models. Also, does anyone have any impressions of this type of setup vs using a spider? I just like the way it looks but I'd like to know if it functions as well or better than using a spider.

  4. #4
    Got Twins?
    Reputation: l84biking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    297

    Good job! I've had that issue...

    My RF Deus cranks on my one speed had that very issue. It even loosened during a night ride. There is a washer that goes between the bb and right crank that takes up the space to tension the bb. I'm assuming that your shop has addressed this part for you. My shop was about to send them back but put in this spacer" and it worked. The original spacer was torn up while the replacement is plastic and tougher. Also, torque spec's are very important on the RF cranks too. Overtighten and the cranks are loose. I believe Speedgoat has these spacers listed on their site. Check with your LBS about it.

    As far as other brands, I'd stay with Shimano as they seem to have the best outboard bearing/crank set up going. Truvativ is good but some our guys have had issues with manufacturing problems and it's taking one hecka long time getting them replaced under warranty. Shimano XT seem the stiffest and lightest for the money. If you go with White Industries or a square taper crank, you may be giving up some stiffness. Not to start something here on the list but that is from our team mechanic who rides a one speed and fixie off road exclusively. Just depends on what you're looking for in your ride. And you can't beat a White Industries ENO crank with a Phil Wood bb either.

    I personally run XTR 970's on one bike and the Deus' on another. I'm likely to sell the Deus' (silver 180's) cause I have a set of XTR 952's with a Boone ti ring ready to go.

    Good luck and keep us updated on your outcome.

    L8
    Let us Ride!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Biking Brazilian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,679
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw
    I recently broke my Race Face Evolve XC cranks. I am not 100% sure but I think the bolt that holds the drive crank on is messed up so the crank cannot be tightened all the way, it just wobbles. My LBS said they would have to ship the cranks to RF and it would be at least 2 - 3 weeks before they come back, which means probably twice that until I get my bike back.

    So can someone recommend a good SS crankset and BB for a Niner One9? I only weight 170# but I manage to break stuff constantly so something reliable would be good. I don't have any preference for square taper, ISIS, outboard, etc. standards unless one is noticeably more reliable than another. I'd like to try something besides Race Face; nothing wrong with them but I might as well try something else since I am shopping. I have been really happy with my White Ind freewheel so I was looking at their cranks. Are these reliable and a good fit for a One9?

    Any advice on things to consider when shopping for a crankset and specific recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Hold out for these:

    http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/ar...hers-kit-12276

  6. #6
    CB2
    CB2 is offline
    Jam Econo
    Reputation: CB2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,214
    FWIW, I had to warranty some Raceface cranks last year with the same issue, and the replacement were here before I shipped the defective ones back. They even replaced the BB.
    Excellent customer service.

  7. #7
    bmw
    bmw is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    296
    Thanks for the replies all. I hope my cranks get here as fast as yours did CB2. I am going to stop by the store tomorrow and see if they have any updates. If they have something in nice stock I might go ahead and pick it up or keep searching online if they do not. I really want to be able to ride this weekend.

  8. #8
    What day are we riding?
    Reputation: Rockin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,088
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw
    Thanks Rockin. A few things I forgot to mention: I need 175's and I would really like to try one of the spiderless systems I have seen like White Ind, Middle Burn, etc... Do you know if the Shimano cranks will work for this? I have seen some posts with Shimano cranks and Boone cogs but I am not sure if they are the current models. Also, does anyone have any impressions of this type of setup vs using a spider? I just like the way it looks but I'd like to know if it functions as well or better than using a spider.
    In my experience I did not see any difference chain function-wise between the spiderless and spider setups. To me, my Hone and XT cranks feel stiffer when really cranking on them than my White Ind ones. Still not as stiff as my BMX cranks though.

    If you are going for looks the Hones are a great value but lack bling factor.

  9. #9
    bmw
    bmw is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    296
    So I went to the store today asking about cranks and instead of selling me cranks they gave me a Vassago Jabberwocky to borrow. That will save me a few hundred dollars and make the warranty wait easier. Nice to have a cool LBS.

  10. #10
    Fauxhemian
    Reputation: Secret Squirrel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    73
    I had this issue on a deus crank, still waiting after 4 weeks, the problem with mine is they were sent to a Canadian facility. They returned the defective crank and told my shop to send it to the US facility (not the same excellent service you recieved, but I suppose the shop is partially to blame.)
    I hold an associates degree in underachievement.

  11. #11
    Fauxhemian
    Reputation: Secret Squirrel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    73
    I'm not sure what you mean by "overtighten and the cranks are loose". Race Face states that the crank bolt must be tightened to a hard stop to ensure proper engagement, "You will not be able to tighten the bolt any further" a direct quote from the Deus installation instructions.
    I hold an associates degree in underachievement.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.