Need advice to get started on a singlespeed bike...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Need advice to get started on a singlespeed bike...

Hi everyone, i have been riding MTB for about a year now and thru changing of parts and such that is the bane AND joy of riding, I have an 08 Norco Manik frame lying around plus some spare parts like hydro brakes and such....

I need some advice to use the Manik for a SS project.

1. Can the Manik even be used for SS?
    2. If so, what other parts do I need to convert it to use as a SS?
    3. I know I need a SS rear hub. Will any SS rear hub do? I'm confused about the freewheel gear and the actual cog used. What's the difference?
    4. I know I need a SS crankset. What do I have to know about the bottom bracket of that frame when I'm out shopping for a crankset?
    5. Any other parts atha are different from a regular MTB part??

Thanks so much!!

AZ
    banned
    If you read the FAQ's at the top of the page you find all the info you are seeking . Afterwards if you still need more info post up again .

i don't give a shift
    Check out the FAQ - read this first! link. It lives a somewhat dire existence in the upper right corner of this page but provides a great collection of answers that will get you going on your SS project.

mtbr member
    1. Can the Manik even be used for SS? yes, and the FAQ section will explain how.
    2. If so, what other parts do I need to convert it to use as a SS? probably just a chain tensioner of some sort, but there's tons more on those in the FAQ
    3. I know I need a SS rear hub. Will any SS rear hub do? I'm confused about the freewheel gear and the actual cog used. What's the difference? you don't need a SS-specific hub. you can use a single, fat cog and some spacers. the FAQ goes into detail on this.
    4. I know I need a SS crankset. What do I have to know about the bottom bracket of that frame when I'm out shopping for a crankset? you probably don't need a SS crankset. if you have a crankset with replaceable chainrings, take the smallest and largest chainrings off and just use the center, which is probably a 32t.
    5. Any other parts atha are different from a regular MTB part?? SSer tend to like wider handlebars. if you are going full-rigid, some fat, bouncy tires are good as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    usually your dad holds the back of the seat holding you up,and runs along while you pedal, when a bit of momentum is achieved and it feels like your balencing he lets go and shouts words of encouragement.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Ok... I have read quite a bit on the FAQ and have a few questions to clarify.

I will be using the Manik as a frame to build a SS.

I will need to a drivetrain and a wheelset as I don't have those.

I was initially planning to run it as a SS, but I read that with the use of the Melvin from Paul Components, I can run 2 chainrings in front. Now, that really appeals to me. I have a SLX front dee lying around somewhere and am planning to get a crankset like this one and run it on the Melvin setup by just using the larger and the middle chainring.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=35721

Am planning to run it both on the road and on the trails, so the 2 chainrings in front would really help...

only thing is, do I have to remove the smallest chainring or can I just leave it?

I'm thinking of getting the Melvin and a SS rear hub like the Funn Bullet Singlespeed Hub.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=16489

I am assuming that a dedicated SS rear hub will work better than an ordinary rear hub that's converted to a SS hub? Yes??

OR.... would I be better served by a converted rear hub??

One of the reviews on CRC that I read about the Funn SS rear hub is that it runs a thick gear so only BMX chain can be used. Any experince on this hub?? Was initially considering getting a SRAM PC 7X Nickel Singlespeed Chain to run with the Melvin and the Funn SS rear hub, but am a bit concerned about the BMX chain comment....

Bottomline is, I'm planning to get the following items for my drivetrain.

Melvin from Paul Components
    FSA Gamma Drive XC Chainset MegaExo 2009 (but just using the large and middle chainring)
    SLX front dee
    Funn Bullet SS rear hub
    SRAM PC 7X Nickel Singlespeed Chain

Will they ALL fit together without the need for any additional parts for the drivetrain??

Thanks.....
    Last edited by Tessaiga; 11-28-2009 at 10:07 AM.

nothing to see here
    A lot of first time single speedes tend to want to get rid of all the unnecessary crap of their bikes. Removing the small chainring usually necessitates removing the cranks, so some just leave it there. You're buying a new one, so just take it off before mounting. You won't be able to use it with the melvin anyway.

I can't tell by the pictures, or the Funn website, exactly what width cog is used either 1/8 or 3/32. I suggest if you're going to get all this stuff, leave the chain purchase until last, so you can take the hub to a lbs and check to see what fits. The crankset shouldn't be a problem. It'll be 3/32.

Barring the choice of chain, they should all work fine together.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

Members who have read this thread: 0