Need Advice Building SS- Mtbr.com
    Ouch, I am hot!

Need Advice Building SS

I have a 1988 (or close) Fisher Excalibur or Procalibur (not sure what it is called). Fully rigid steel bike. Bull Moose bar/stem combo, and mix of Suntour and Shimano components, all original stock. I am think about converting this to SS and wonder what needs to be done, how much it should cost and whether I should just get a new, or new used SS instead?

I am not sure if I want to add a suspension fork, but I do know that the Bull Moose bars probably should go. The bike is way to upright, even for me, with these on. Are the old type stems needed to do this still available?
    I AM JUST A JERK

Cracker-magnon
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    I have a 1988 (or close) Fisher Excalibur or Procalibur (not sure what it is called). Fully rigid steel bike. Bull Moose bar/stem combo, and mix of Suntour and Shimano components, all original stock. I am think about converting this to SS and wonder what needs to be done, how much it should cost and whether I should just get a new, or new used SS instead?

I am not sure if I want to add a suspension fork, but I do know that the Bull Moose bars probably should go. The bike is way to upright, even for me, with these on. Are the old type stems needed to do this still available?
    I would stay away form a suspension fork for that. It does not have the corrected geometry for one, may feel funny, and certainly would look funny (not that that matters ). What is the headset size for that, 1 inch? you can still find nice quill stems for those on ebay, places like nashbar and parts bins at your LBS, or you can get a quill adapter that will allow you to use a threadless stem.

aside from that look over the FAQ page at the top. If you have some semi-horizontal dropouts on the back you could be golden for going without a tensioner.
    "Life is a [email protected]#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.

mtbr member

I converted a 1990ish fully rigid Schwinn to suspension, then to SS, now back to rigid......so it came full circle for me. The suspension didn't feel right compared to that on a bike with corrected geometry. Your frame most likely has a 1" steerer; easy to find a different rigid fork, not easy or cheap to find a susp. fork. If I were you, I would do the bare minimum to do the conversion. If you like it, that bike is old enough to serve as a backup to the new one you will surely buy or build. This is what has happened to me!

beer *****es n' bikes
    '88 Fisher could very well be a 1.25" steerer actually. Make sure you know before you order anything. Personally, I think the moose bars are awesome and would just keep them.

Quote Originally Posted by zanq
    I converted a 1990ish fully rigid Schwinn to suspension, then to SS, now back to rigid......so it came full circle for me. The suspension didn't feel right compared to that on a bike with corrected geometry. Your frame most likely has a 1" steerer; easy to find a different rigid fork, not easy or cheap to find a susp. fork. If I were you, I would do the bare minimum to do the conversion. If you like it, that bike is old enough to serve as a backup to the new one you will surely buy or build. This is what has happened to me!
    bike dude, velocity employee (this is my personal account)

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    About two weeks ago I converted my early 90's rigid Schwin Paramount to SS. At first I was thinking about buying a new wheelset and going with a tensioner, ie spending money. I had read that you could simply use the old derailier rigged up with a brake cable in reverse, but I shyed away because I didn't think it would be cool. After debating for a couple of weeks I finally said f it and went with it. Took about 10 minutes, zero dollars, and just as much fun as if I had spent $900 on a new SS, which actually makes it more fun. I'm still running a regular cassette in back, but I will get some spacers once I decide on the gearing, and all three rings in front, but who cares? I rode my gf's geared bike home the other night and it really seemed boring! I think I'm hooked.

I was also debating about putting a suspension fork on it, but I think I'll stick with rigid. Less maintenance, less money, more fun.

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by rpiontek
    About two weeks ago I converted my early 90's rigid Schwin Paramount to SS. At first I was thinking about buying a new wheelset and going with a tensioner, ie spending money. I had read that you could simply use the old derailier rigged up with a brake cable in reverse, but I shyed away because I didn't think it would be cool. After debating for a couple of weeks I finally said f it and went with it. Took about 10 minutes, zero dollars, and just as much fun as if I had spent $900 on a new SS, which actually makes it more fun. I'm still running a regular cassette in back, but I will get some spacers once I decide on the gearing, and all three rings in front, but who cares? I rode my gf's geared bike home the other night and it really seemed boring! I think I'm hooked.

I was also debating about putting a suspension fork on it, but I think I'll stick with rigid. Less maintenance, less money, more fun.
    Yep. I have been holding off on trying SS because of just this. I have a new, very expensive geared Turner. I am not sure I could deal with wanting to ride my 1988 Fisher singlespeed more than the Turner after dropping all that cash.
    I AM JUST A JERK

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Yep. I have been holding off on trying SS because of just this. I have a new, very expensive geared Turner. I am not sure I could deal with wanting to ride my 1988 Fisher singlespeed more than the Turner after dropping all that cash.
    ha ha! yeah, I was also thinking about buying a new bike earlier in the season. It feels really cool to have fun on a bike that I just had sitting around, and even better now that I'm not thinking about buying shiny new parts and spending $$$ that I don't have. And the low maintenance really does let you worry less about the bike and more about just riding. It's a heck of a workout, too!