Need advice- Mtbr.com

Thread: Need advice

mtbr member

New question here. Need advice

Hey all.....I am just getting into the world of SS'ing and for my first I am going to buy an inexpensive one or I am going to start my first SS build ever. So I figured I could ask for some advice when building a SS for the first time. Does anyone some experience with this, have any pointers? What to watch out for.....or what are some good short cuts? Any input will be greatly appreciated! keep hammer'in.....thanks Colin

Cold. Blue. Steel.
    Quote Originally Posted by az_hardtail
    Hey all.....I am just getting into the world of SS'ing and for my first I am going to buy an inexpensive one or I am going to start my first SS build ever. So I figured I could ask for some advice when building a SS for the first time. Does anyone some experience with this, have any pointers? What to watch out for.....or what are some good short cuts? Any input will be greatly appreciated! keep hammer'in.....thanks Colin
    I have a Bianchi BuSS for sale- my first SS, and a true SS with horizontal drops. Great bike, but I cannot have 2 SS right now...

If you are building one- my latest SS is a Jamis Durango that I converted so I could use disc brakes- make sure you get a good chain tensioner (I highly recommend the Soulcraft Convert) and get the right spacing for your chain line. Also, don't use parts which were designed for bikes with derailleurs- the shifting ramps and pins become your worst nightmare when you are giving it the gas up a steep climb and your chain is under tons of tension. The guys at Bikeman.com are really into SSing and have everything you need to get started and finished (if your LBS can't help). Great prices, too!

Good luck and have a blast- once you have crossed over, there may be no going back!
    Adam
    Spinning and Grinning...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OneGearGuy
    I have a Bianchi BuSS for sale- my first SS, and a true SS with horizontal drops. Great bike, but I cannot have 2 SS right now...

If you are building one- my latest SS is a Jamis Durango that I converted so I could use disc brakes- make sure you get a good chain tensioner (I highly recommend the Soulcraft Convert) and get the right spacing for your chain line. Also, don't use parts which were designed for bikes with derailleurs- the shifting ramps and pins become your worst nightmare when you are giving it the gas up a steep climb and your chain is under tons of tension. The guys at Bikeman.com are really into SSing and have everything you need to get started and finished (if your LBS can't help). Great prices, too!

Good luck and have a blast- once you have crossed over, there may be no going back!
    Adam
    Thanks for the great info Adam! that helps answer some questions that I had about chain tensioners. I was debating between the Soulcraft and the Surly Singulator....oh and by the way nice B.U.S.S! That just rocks.....if you have more pictures of it that you can provide let me know. Thanks again.
    Colin

Cold. Blue. Steel.

i am heading out to take pics now!

should have pics available later tonight or by tomorrow, latest!
    thanks for your interest,
    adam
    Spinning and Grinning...