Thread: nashbar ss hub

I like endos

nashbar ss hub

Anybody using one? Good or bad? If they suck, does anyone know of another cassette style rear SS hub that doesn't cost $300? I want a dedicated SS wheel but I don't want to use a freewheel and I can't spend a lot.
    As for the Pyramids, there is nothing to wonder at in them so much as the fact that so many men could be found degraded enough to spend their lives constructing a tomb for some ambitious booby, whom it would have been wiser and manlier to have drowned in the Nile, and then given his body to the dogs. - Henry David Thoreau

mtbr member
    I believe there are a number of people using this hub. The same hub is sold by various outlets including Woodman, Nashbar, On-one, and probably others. I bought a nashbar one early this year and had my LBS build a wheel for me and then swapped the solid axle for a Woodman Q/R axle. It has been bombproof, and swapping cogs is very easy. It is not the lightest hub around, but it sure is cheap!

Mark

Strongbow or Bust!!!!

Is'nt that a Novatech hub?????

http://www.nashbar.com/profile_morei...u=12033&brand=

If you can, get it. Really good hub for the money. I modified my XT hub with a DX freehub and lockrings for my SS disk hub, works like a champ.

Rob
    Fermented Apple Juice rules!!!!!! BURRRRPP!!

mtbr member

36h

Quote Originally Posted by ParkerFly
    Anybody using one? Good or bad? If they suck, does anyone know of another cassette style rear SS hub that doesn't cost $300? I want a dedicated SS wheel but I don't want to use a freewheel and I can't spend a lot.
    Looks like it is only available in a 36H. Just and FYI.

ps. Looks nice for the price

Steamroller

IRO SS hubs good and cheap

IRO are similar to the ones mentioned ( Nashbar, Woodman, Novatech and On One). I had heard that all of these were made in the same factory and private labled under these names. Recently I heard that the IRO hubs are slightly upgraded from the others and supposed to be somehow better. You can get a set on ebay for $89. I currently have two wheelsets with them one on my IRO Mia and the other is a 29r wheelset that is going on my current project . I just sold another set of wheels I built with them.

I have not used them long enough to give a long term report though.
    Last edited by Mattman; 08-04-2005 at 11:55 PM.
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    They're cheap and work well. First thing to do is to swap out the nuts for ones with an integrated washer, like the ones that come with the Surly hubs. If you don't mind heavy, by all means, get it.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

I like endos

can the axle be modified

Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    They're cheap and work well. First thing to do is to swap out the nuts for ones with an integrated washer, like the ones that come with the Surly hubs. If you don't mind heavy, by all means, get it.
    to accept qr skewers? My frame won't have track fork ends, so I won't need the big solid axle. Can you just put a hollow axle and qr's in it?
    As for the Pyramids, there is nothing to wonder at in them so much as the fact that so many men could be found degraded enough to spend their lives constructing a tomb for some ambitious booby, whom it would have been wiser and manlier to have drowned in the Nile, and then given his body to the dogs. - Henry David Thoreau

mtbr member
    to accept qr skewers? My frame won't have track fork ends, so I won't need the big solid axle. Can you just put a hollow axle and qr's in it?
    The axle can be replaced with a hollow Q/R specific axle. Unfortunately, it is not a standard shimano type axle, as this hub uses cartridge bearings. My frame has an EBB, so I also did not need, or want, the solid axle. What I did was order a Q/R axle directly from Woodman ($12.00 I think) and then swapped the axles. The switch is pretty easy, and I put together an instruction sheet including pictures. I don't have anywhere to post it, but if anyone is interested, I can E-mail it to them.

Mark

I like endos

by all means, e-mail it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by bikeny
    The axle can be replaced with a hollow Q/R specific axle. Unfortunately, it is not a standard shimano type axle, as this hub uses cartridge bearings. My frame has an EBB, so I also did not need, or want, the solid axle. What I did was order a Q/R axle directly from Woodman ($12.00 I think) and then swapped the axles. The switch is pretty easy, and I put together an instruction sheet including pictures. I don't have anywhere to post it, but if anyone is interested, I can E-mail it to them.

Mark
    I'm building a wheelset with this hub this winter and it would be very nice to know!
    jonahsfolly@yahoo.com

Strongbow or Bust!!!!

Hey ParkerFly

How much do you want to spend on the hub? I gather you want a "true" ss hub correct?
    I have some ideas for you if you like.

Rob

I like endos

I want a true ss hub that has

Quote Originally Posted by The Tractor
    How much do you want to spend on the hub? I gather you want a "true" ss hub correct?
    I have some ideas for you if you like.

Rob
    a cassete style freewheel mechanism and costs significantly less than a King. I'd like not to spend a fortune, but go ahead and pipe in with your suggestions, maybe they'll help me. If not, it's not like I'm the only one reading this, maybe they'll help someone else anyway.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny

Mark
    Me too please at twiegandt@NOSPAMcomcast.net -remove the NOSPAM

Strongbow or Bust!!!!

Well, a few things come to mind..............

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=120146
    The rider in this post bought the Gusset 1'er 16t conversion kit for his cassette hub which seems to be the cheapest way to go. I was going to suggest taking a Shimano DX free hub and parts and putting them on a XT/LX disk hub, but it's a bit of work to do so and it costs a bit more.

Rob

Strongbow or Bust!!!!

The Nashbar hub then is your best bet.......

I would go ahead and get the Nashbar hub. Best for what you are looking for. What rims will you use?

Rob

I like endos

yeah but

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=120146
    The rider in this post bought the Gusset 1'er 16t conversion kit for his cassette hub which seems to be the cheapest way to go. I was going to suggest taking a Shimano DX free hub and parts and putting them on a XT/LX disk hub, but it's a bit of work to do so and it costs a bit more.

Rob
    it doesn't seem like that would make the flanges farther apart on the rear wheel, making it stronger and easier to build, the way a dedicated SS hub does. Plus it's a lot of work and more expensive, and I don't really like shimano.

I like endos

It's for a 29er

I would go ahead and get the Nashbar hub. Best for what you are looking for. What rims will you use?

Rob
    It's gonna get Alex TD17 disc specific rims and DT comp 14/15 spokes with alloy nips.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Bontrager Single Speed Race Hub

I built up a wheel with the bontrager single speed race hub - it is a cassette style, (the same one they use on their 29er SS) - it was almost as inexpensive as a surly hub and so far (sever al hundred miles) it kicks Arse!!! I haven't seen them listed on any web retailer's sites, but any shop that carries Trek/GF should be able to hook you up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I had the Nashbar SS hub built up with a Mavic x217 SUP and its great. I got the hub for $26 and the rim for $11 brand new at nashbar. Cant beat the smiles per $$!!
    '04 Specialized Hardrock Pro Disk - SS Conversion: 175mm FMF BMX Crank w/Salsa 34x16, UN-73 BB, Eggbeaters, Pazzaz 2014 Stem, Bontrager Bar, Odi Ruffian lockons, LX Lever/Mech Disk, Nashbar SS hub/Mavic 217 SUP, 00' RS SID SL, Cane Creek S-2