Narrow-Wide Chainrings- Mtbr.com
    Life's a Garden, dig it!

Narrow-Wide Chainrings

I apologize if this has been covered and I'm lame, but if I run a N-W chainring, am I locked into even number of teeth on my rear cog? It seems that running an odd number on the rear would mean the chain would be out of sync on every other revolution, wouldn't it? Am I missing something?
    "And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called, The Human Race..."

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    no.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    The only way a chain can become out of sync is if the chain is lifted off the chainring and was placed 1 tooth away. It doesn't matter how many teeth are on the cog.

powered by peanut butter.
    No--I'm happily running a 32X19, and I know lots of others with odd number cogs. The only issue I'm aware of with narrow-wide rings is that they don't play nice with half-links.
    "Never trust a man in a blue trench coat. Never drive a car when you're dead." -- Tom Waits

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by heartland View Post
    No--I'm happily running a 32X19, and I know lots of others with odd number cogs. The only issue I'm aware of with narrow-wide rings is that they don't play nice with half-links.
    The half-link interference totally makes sense.

Thanks guys, I just thought I was limited to even teeth in the rear. It's nice to have options and be able to fine tune (except that I found my magic gear on my SweetSpot SS).

mtbr member
    I run 34-21 for trails and 34-17 for gravel with an oval, n-w ring. I can't imagine what the number of cog teeth has to do with that.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    I can't imagine what the number of cog teeth has to do with that.
    Too many years looking at cam and crank gears, I guess. A 4 stroke engine has a cam gear with twice as many teeth as the crank gear. Imagine if every rotation, the cam went off by one tooth from the crank. It seemed to follow, but I guess not.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    Too many years looking at cam and crank gears, I guess. A 4 stroke engine has a cam gear with twice as many teeth as the crank gear. Imagine if every rotation, the cam went off by one tooth from the crank. It seemed to follow, but I guess not.
    The reasoning behind this is to keep the speed of the cams exactly half the speed of the crankshaft. If the crank gear had 12 teeth, and the cam gear had 25 teeth, the cam/crank would still spin and the chain would be fine, but the cam would now be out of sync of the 4 cycle process.

Always in the wrong gear
    Out of sync revolutions in an engine is a bad thing for piston firing... it doesn't matter one bit if your cranks stay in sync with a certain point on your tire.

Nothing personal, OP but it always amazes me when people ask this.... no one thinks twice about breaking a geared drivetrain with even/odd combos, we use 32x11,13,15,17, etc all the time and no one bats an eye.
    Donít modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by acedeuce802 View Post
    The reasoning behind this is to keep the speed of the cams exactly half the speed of the crankshaft. If the crank gear had 12 teeth, and the cam gear had 25 teeth, the cam/crank would still spin and the chain would be fine, but the cam would now be out of sync of the 4 cycle process.
    Totally agree, but on these, there are no narrow-wide teeth.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by ARandomBiker View Post

Nothing personal, OP but it always amazes me when people ask this.... no one thinks twice about breaking a geared drivetrain with even/odd combos, we use 32x11,13,15,17, etc all the time and no one bats an eye.
    No worries. I haven't run a mutli-geared drive train in years and never gave it any thought whatsoever. When I decided to build another SS bike, I saw all the recommendations for N-W and over thought it, I guess. That's why I asked.

Given that I have never thrown a chain on my previous two SSs, I'm not sure that I'll go N-W anyway.

Always in the wrong gear
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post

Given that I have never thrown a chain on my previous two SSs, I'm not sure that I'll go N-W anyway.
    Neither have I. I think the guys who throw chains are a minority who have a flexy frame (and put down huge power), run loose chain, or both.

I run N/W because they seem to hold up better to both wear and blunt trauma compared to a stamped steel ring.

Plus, let's be real; a blingy anodized alloy ring looks nicer.
    Donít modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.