Narrow Q cranks: Road compact?- Mtbr.com
    I don't huck.
    Jun 2005

Narrow Q cranks: Road compact?

I am enjoying the feel of the XX cranks on the geared bike enough to seek that out in an SS crank.

I have read of compact road cranks being used, but it seems they were Octalink BB, no big deal there, or maybe I imagined that.

Anyone have any good info on models that meet the correct BCD for a 34T ring and would be good for a dedicated SS? I also need to get to a 47.5mm chainline. I am not sure what the road cranks chainline is in external BB versions...are they the same as the MTB cranks or less?

Likely 175s as well.

After riding the XX crank I feel bowlegged on the normal Shimano triple crank and external BB.

EDIT: Hmmm...a bit of searching revealed it seems to be a big MAYBE as to whether the arms clear the frame, etc, depending on frame design, etc. It will be a steel frame though, likely fairly svelte. Well, any success stories would be good to hear. Seems like a good sticky thread..."Running a compact road crank as SS"
    Last edited by mtroy; 04-02-2010 at 08:54 AM.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I tried - it didn't work out due to the clearance issues you describe.

That was with Shimano compact cranks from the 6600 Ultegra series and an oldschool aluminum Voodoo Bokor frame that clears 2.4" tires (barely). Overlap ('negative clearance') between cranks and frame was huge, some 1.5cm if I remember correctly...

If you want to use a HT-II road crank, it will probably have to be a triple (as seen some time ago on the bikes of one Nicholas Voullioz and Laurence Leboucher for example), but for your specific singlespeed purposes, I would say that's besides the point because of bcd and probably chainline.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Depends on the frame. Well bent S bend stays might work. My compact 105 cranks barely clear on my Peregrine with fairly straight stays with the EBB forward and a few shims to get the NDS arm to clear. My Redline Monocog fits Vuelta road cranks with a 110mm BB and a 39t.

Members who have read this thread: 0