bicyclist

N-Gear Jump Stop and others

Would a Deda Elementi Dog Fangor a 3rd Eye Chain Watcher (practically the same thing as the Deda) do the same thing as a N-Gear Jump Stop? I want to run a [CAUTION: GEARED CONTENT] 1x9 setup and not have to worry about losing my chain on the front.... also, any experience with the Rohloff Chain Guide?
    People who really know what happened aren't talking. And the people who don't have a clue, you can't shut them up.
    Tom Waits

Nope got nothing
    I run the jump stop and like it. It has a ramped top lip as well as the lower guide to keep things in line. The fang looks cool, but doesn't look like it would support the chain if it does happen to get just a bit out of place. I'm pretty much a dedicated SS'r, but I've been running a 12-25 T (1 x 9) on a new bike and have been having fun with some additional gears....wooaaa ...I know ...blasphemy!!
    I'm just waiting on a set of hubs to build up the SS wheels

Recovering couch patato
    I've been doing my past few races with the Rohloff. Slightly modified to open up the cage a bit in the back, but not a single chain drop. On my CX racer, same setup, zero problems as well. My 1x9 races with just an outside bashguard earlier this year saw me get off the bike to put the chain back on a few times per hour, it gets old real quick! One time the chain got wrapped in the crank, I had to shorten it and give up some climbing gears, not fun.

The Rohloff cage can also be replaced by just 2 coins, that seems to be a good, clean, light solution as well. I hope to do that for a super weightweenie 29" racer evne this year. The Rohloff is now on my KM that's begging to be put on a one-gear diet again.

I hope to give the Bashguard+N-Gear style thingy setup a try on one bike some day, I'd like to learn use the bashgaurd, and see if I can get over logs bigger than my wrist.

bike geek
    Quote Originally Posted by fish man
    Would a Deda Elementi Dog Fangor a 3rd Eye Chain Watcher (practically the same thing as the Deda) do the same thing as a N-Gear Jump Stop? I want to run a [CAUTION: GEARED CONTENT] 1x9 setup and not have to worry about losing my chain on the front.... also, any experience with the Rohloff Chain Guide?
    Go N-gear. There's nothing better. What makes it different from the 3rd Eye is adjustiblilty. I got a 3rd Eye first, because my LBS stocked it, but it didn't get close enough to the ring. Seems it is designed to keep the chain on the Granny ring on a 3 ring setup, which is further inboard. There was a useless gap of several mm between it and the chainring, whereas you can set the N-gear as close to the chainring as you want/need.

try driving your car less
    N-gear here as well. works perfectly. cheap and light! what more could you want?
    oh, it's made by some guy at home, so you are supporting some guy at home!

he sent it to me before i even sent him a check!
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member

Go

N-Gear Jump stop and don't worry about anything. I have a bike set up 1x9 with the N-Gear, a Salsa 34T non-ramped or pinned chain ring and a RaceFace bash guard. I have never thrown my chain with this setup. But, before I got my N-Gear I did throw my chain several times. It works like it is supposed and I highly recommend it.
    "Hesh wants poppers!"

hands up who wants to die
    N-gear is rad; the guy who makes it is rad; sending it to you before you even send the $$ is rad.

rad!

-r

Members who have read this thread: 0