My world just changed forever.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

My world just changed forever.

Im sure you've all heard and said this before, but here it is. Its so mind blowing I just have to share it!

I just demo'd my first rigid 29r ss. (niner sir 9).
    It was my first time on a rigid 29, and first time on a ss.

How can I sum it up?

First, the singlespeed felt so organic. Climbing was remarkably easy. Easier than a gear'd fs ive ridden that simply bobs up and down. The single gear wasn't hard, it just made me go fast! I never realized that all those gears made me a wimp.

Next: Flats. At first I thought all the pedaling would be annoying, but it was liberating. I probably even went faster than anything else because it was just so fun and I was giving it my all.

DH: I was shocked that I had just as much confidence on this as on a remedy. Granted this was only flat downhill, no jumps or big drops anything, but still. Enough said.

I always used to switch gears continuously thinking I was optimizing my efforts.
    Now Im just like. I was stupid. I didn't need them.
    I even thought I wanted a big 5 inch suspension because it was fun and you could really roll over stuff. Well, this rolls over stuff even better.

Furthermore, the build was spot on. The bars, the stem, the tubeless, the geometry, even the SADDLE was awesome!

I have no idea mountain biking could be like this. I was born to ride this bike.

I am blown away.

Sincerely and happily,
    Single speed convert.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Welcome to the cult. SS climbing can be hard you have big mountains ...

Trail Junkie
    Now you just have to buy it right? Enjoy!
    My experience with the Niner 853 steel wasn't as exciting as yours...
    Granted it was the MCR model, I was really only focusing my demo on how the frame rode,
    and it was a real underachiever for me..but a friend bought a SIR9 a couple months later
    and it feels much better...so I don't know.
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Raleigh RX 1.0

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dubdryver View Post
    Now you just have to buy it right? Enjoy!
    My experience with the Niner 853 steel wasn't as exciting as yours...
    Granted it was the MCR model, I was really only focusing my demo on how the frame rode,
    and it was a real underachiever for me..but a friend bought a SIR9 a couple months later
    and it feels much better...so I don't know.

Ya I didn't try the 853 just the sir9.
    Im buying it as soon as I can.

Im debating whether its worth trying to wait and find all those exact parts used or just buy it new :/

On wuss patrol
    Quote Originally Posted by joshman108 View Post
    Ya I didn't try the 853 just the sir9.
    :/
    I believe the S.I.R. 9 is Reynolds 853 steel tubing. 853 is not a model designation.

Anyway, sounds like you got the full-on effect of the rigid29ss goodness. Now you must own one.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

rebmem rbtm
    You know you've really gone over the 'falls when you start robbing the nicer parts off your geared bike or sell it (them) to finance a blinglespeed.

conjoinicorned
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    Welcome to the cult. SS climbing can be hard you have big mountains ...
    It is a cult. Where's the sour koolaid and the extra wives?

I recommend buying new, but cheap for your first real SS... But I really recommend that you own one. I'll always have one in my stable until I can't ride any more, and it will always be my favorite bike to ride

But you'll pry my 150mm AM bike out of my cold dead hands
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    riding in flats can be fun sometimes, but I happen to only have a rigid SS bike, and I can't stand NOT being clipped in. feel free to get some SPD's for riding SS if you want.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I felt exactly the same after my first ride on a rigid 29er. I bought a 29er Monocog to serve as a cheap and simple commuter bike and now much prefer it to any other bike. As a matter of fact, after not riding any bike aside from the Monocog, I sold the frame of my Trek 8500 and ordered a Surly 1 x 1 frame to replace it with. My wife will ride the sole geared bike left in our household - well, until she sees the light, too.

Best wishes from hilly Korea.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    riding in flats can be fun sometimes, but I happen to only have a rigid SS bike, and I can't stand NOT being clipped in. feel free to get some SPD's for riding SS if you want.

ya thats what i use. I think it would have been really hard without them, especially uphill

long time listener
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    I think the OP meant flat terrain, as opposed to pedals.

mtbr member
    ^^^^ yup.

Members who have read this thread: 0