My winter home grown project....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

My winter home grown project....

It's been sitting at my house for months and I finally decided to build her,
    Schwinn Homegrown frame. I am missing wheels, brakes and cranks.
    Could I have an EBB installed on this frame?
    I would like to use disk, if not I'll just go w/ an eno hub and v-brakes.
    I don't want to wait till next year for the eno disk hub.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

some more...

mocked up w/ the parts I'm using, (minus the wheels)

Cracker-magnon
    Spicer does ebb retros on alum frames, but with the construction of that chainstay yolk at the bottom bracket, I would think it would be difficult at best to do that frame. You could always contact him with a picture and see what he has to say.
    "Life is a [email protected]#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I think you can grind about 1mm off your axel to make a 34/16 work without a tensioner. I used that ratio and just resorted to not having the axel totally bottomed in the dropouts.(01 Homegrown Comp) But had I done the axel grind, my life would have been much easier. When I say "grind axel" I mean to make a flat spot so the axel will go slightly forward in the dropout. Sort of like making the axel a D rather than an O if you know what I mean? Then line up the flat spot facing the front of the bike and axel will drop right in place with perfect chaintension. And as the chain slackens with wear, turn the axel a bit. Cheaper than a new hub for sure.
    Last edited by OFSFrank; 11-22-2004 at 01:41 PM.
    My tapeworm tells me what to do.

mtbr member

New question here. why not ...

run a tensioner until the eno disc comes out?

something like the rollenlager is pretty discreet if used in the push-up position, and damned burly.

then you can run disc, instead of having to buy v's (assuming you already have the disc brakes)

or what about a half link instead of filing the axle?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I meant 34/16 not 34/14 I edited my post, just wanted to point out the correction. 34/14 is for mutants or extreme flatlanders. And I have no idea how much chain slack you'd have with 34/14.

34/16 is just so darn close, running an extra link and the tensioner wasn't possible. I had chain hop on my rear cog. And push up wasn't an option, too much chain. Thats why I ended doing what I did, it was just so close to being a majic gear. Had I known to file the axel... Oh baby...
    My tapeworm tells me what to do.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I think i'll try a 32/18 w/ a half link and try to make it work. If not I'll just buy a cheap tensioner. I've been using a 32/18 on my geared bike and I seem to make it up most hills so I wanted to use something similar.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rude-e
    It's been sitting at my house for months and I finally decided to build her,
    Schwinn Homegrown frame.
    looks sweet. I've always liked the looks of that frame, although I've never ridden one. I'd actually like to pick one up to replace my geared ride. enjoy it, it looks really nice.

The Top Cap Guy
    This is Too Funny!!! I just bought another Homegrown (my 2nd) strictly for a SS conversion. I originally had a Bass Boat Blue full suspension I was going to do - ended up selling it complete and just aquired this frame. I believe it is a 2000. I've been picking up parts as I go - but I'm in no rush to complete it - just by spring. I'm thinking a Pace RC31 fork, and Raceface cranks, and some disc wheels of somekind - not sure yet - some sweet orange rims would be cool though. I want to run it tensioner-less, and I will suffer with whatever ratio works. It's going to be an extra SS for me so I can always run the other bike in different gears. Last time I talked with Gene about aluminum EBB conversions he didn't like the idea of super light butted tubes - which these frames have, as well as the machined yoke behind the bb. He offered to try - but wanted to see it first. I'll just keep trying until I find a magic ratio.... and anyone reading this if you have or know where to get Homegrown accessories (would love a replacement decal set) like seat clamp, etc... drop me a email.

Thanks and good luck (keep me posted)!
    FF

PS - here's my project.....

"If I'm leading, I'm bleeding."