My wife's first real SS ride!- Mtbr.com
    V-Shaped Rut

My wife's first real SS ride!

She had been riding with my down to the beach, road and then very mellow trails. Today she decided to ride with me on powerline, a fairly easy smooth ride with rolling hills. What most folks call "SS friendly".

I'm super proud of her. She was dying starting on the first hill but toughed out the entire ride. Once she learned to stand up straight and mash she was actually having fun. I'm on a business trip next week and she plans to spend it getting in shape so we can do this trail again before winter hits.

She was riding 32/20 on a fairly light (mid 20lb) 26er. Awesome!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My wife's first real SS ride!-marlenka_unit.jpg  

My wife's first real SS ride!-first_ss_ride.jpg  

Life is a 700c circle...
    Awesome. My wife has gears... but she only uses two. I've been thinking about converting her to SS.

V-Shaped Rut
    Doooo eeeit! Its so much simpler and you know it'll get the legs in shape.

WNC Native
    Isn't it cool bringing them to the dark side!
    I barely talked my wife into trying a SS at a local demo day and then shortly after that there was a Fisher Rig in her size sitting in the basement.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    My fiance expressed her desire to start riding but she wanted a pink "princess" bike, dunno if she was kidding or not but this is what she got, no option for gears, SS or nothin! sorry babe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My wife's first real SS ride!-p9060739.jpg  

My wife's first real SS ride!-p9060738.jpg  

My wife's first real SS ride!-p9060736.jpg  

My wife's first real SS ride!-p9050725.jpg  

mtbr member
    That's awesome they are going ss! I think my husband was excited when I got big time in to biking. Although now I think it scares him at times because we both want the cool gear and bikes and we can't afford it!

I'm just kidding...It is great to be with someone who encourages my biking.

Off the back...
    I asked my wife if she wanted a SS, and her response was, "Why? That's stupid". Oh well. More for me!
    @pinkrobeyyc
    #pinkrobeyyc

mtbr member
    That's true! Maybe I should try to start trying to convince my husband to focus on his hiking so I can get more bike loot!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    My wife and i went for our 1st tandem ss ride this past weekend. She demo'd a spot belt drive, and crushed it! I'm super psyched about everything except for the price of admission.I wanted to get her rolling on some pink kings, but that'll have to happen next xmas and not this one.

the princess badge is priceless. super original.

Schipperkes are cool.
    My Wifes first single ratio ride was SSWC 2009 in Durango. She dropped Ruthie
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.
    I ride so slow, your Garmin will shut off.

V-Shaped Rut
    I talked to her today and she was doing a loop on one of the shorty hills on the way to the beach. Might have a new riding partner when I get back.

LOL@banks. HARDCORE!

mtbr member
    I got my wife on one in Aug and she hasn't touched her geared bike since:

V-Shaped Rut
    Nice pink diSSent. Is it really small or does it just have really big brake rotors?

Life is Go0d!
    My soon to be wife, (2010) rocks the rigid ss! I put her on a fs stumpjumper expert for a while, and in her own words, "This Sucks!" I want my ss back! She won... :-) She is the coolest.. her pictures are on here in various threads. Have fun with your wife.. its great.
    The only regrets in life, are the risks you didn't take.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big_slacker
    Nice pink diSSent. Is it really small or does it just have really big brake rotors?
    Really small with big rotors, haven't gotten to that yet!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mattybfat
    Really small with big rotors, haven't gotten to that yet!
    what bars are on your wife's bike?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    picking up small longboard belt drive for the wifey this am. good dirt jumper for me too!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    were does one find a pink princess bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    were does one find a pink princess bike.
    http://www.spectrumpowderworks.com/p...picture&id=588

Spectrum.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mothgils
    what bars are on your wife's bike?
    Misfits Fu2 Bars

mtbr member
    I thought i had my wife talked into SS! When we ride she only uses 2 gears and it like 85% - 15% of the 2 but she did some reading and saw that there are knee related injuries and she said HELL NO!

V-Shaped Rut
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete
    I thought i had my wife talked into SS! When we ride she only uses 2 gears and it like 85% - 15% of the 2 but she did some reading and saw that there are knee related injuries and she said HELL NO!
    Where did she read that? I've never seen anyone produce a study showing SS causes knee injuries. What causes knee injuries is geared riders trying to sit 'n spin in the relatively tough gear of an SS. Stand the **** up and ride it like an SS.

Next culprit is bad bike fit. Seat too low or too high, bad cleat placement, etc...

Finally pushing too hard a gear too soon, AKA you're not strong enough so back the ego down and get a bigger cog.

I always laugh when I hear about SS causing knee problems. I have premature old man knee from wrestling, BJJ, snowboarding and general sports. Switching to SS 100% has done wonders for my knees and to a lesser extent my low back.

mtbr member
    Big Slacker I agree with you and have only ridden in one gear for over a month to make sure I wanted the switch, and I'm ready. She was reading on the Bike Forum where they ride road bikes with big gears and hills but we live in FL! What hills. I will probably mot chage her mind and she can just ride her 2 gears.

mtbr member
    Before I made the switch to ss I talked with a few women I ride with. One said that she heard women get knee injuries from the ss. I can't remember why she said but it was connected to why women tear their acls and how our lower body is put together or something???

Anyway, I still decided to make the switch and have had no knee issues (knock on wood). My legs are much stronger thanks to the ss.

Members who have read this thread: 0