My Ti, not to be confused with a Mai Tai- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

My Ti, not to be confused with a Mai Tai

back in april or so i began the enviable task of searching for a frame builder. those who have done this before might chime it that i's actually an unenviable task due to the plethora of info and builders to choose from. along the way i got to ride some great bikes (vicious, moots, seven) and had discussions with some well known builders. by some stroke of luck i saw this post, https://forums.mtbr.com/custom-builders-other-manufacturers/custom-ti-thylacine-189449.html, and sent an email to warwick on a friday afternoon before i left work(eastern US). by the time i got home the email was already answered (sat morning AU time).

i'd actually already made up my mind to go with someone else and didn't really expect it to go anywhere. i had already been to https://www.thylacinecycles.com and read a few of warwick's articles but truly expected his build time and price to not be competative due to the location difference. after exchanging a few emails with him throughout the weekend i got the warm and fuzzy and decided he would be the guy who gets to build me a bike.

warwick and i chatted on IM a great deal about what kind of terrain i ride, how much i ride, my bikes and what i like/dislike, etc. we went through 4 different designs and finally settled on this:

i had never been through the custom process before and it couldn't have been easier. all i knew up front was i wanted a Ti XC hardtail with paragon sliding dropouts. the rest was up to warwick. i felt he knew what he was doing because every single time i asked why he chose a certian length tube or chose a particular angle he had a perfectly sensible explaination.

2 months of agonozing waiting and my frame arrived. a few days later the remainder of my parts arrived and the result is what you see below.

some highlights:
    bare frame weight (no slider hardware) = 1492g
    total bike weight = 21.5lbs
    hope hubs = loud and obnoxious
    all paragon cable stops drilled out for full length housing
    standover clearance = massive
    fit = perfect

so in summary if you're in the market for a custom mtb or road bike add thylacine cycles to your list.

well it's now just about 5:30 which means the work day is over and i'm going for a ride.
    Last edited by lanceh; 10-02-2006 at 12:32 PM.

Holy Chromoly!!
    Nice ride, nice project.

Currently Im having something build out of the same material:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=218230

I designed the frame, drew every detail and the builder is building it exactly from my drawing. Its a fun project and a very nice learning curve. Takes and took a lot of time and effort though from both me and the builder, a lot of emailing/calling with the builder to discuss certain parts and details. Luckily Darren Crisp (www.crisptitanium.com) is very patient and so far what he has shown me, is just top notch..... more than I could have dreamed about. Currently we are waiting till the tubes for the seat and chainstays arrive, so he can finish the frame completely. Can't wait to pick it up hopefully end next week, build it at his place and ride it through the beautifull Tuscany area he lives (Italy).
    No, I am not retro.... I am way ahead of my time...

"...though a lot of marijuana was smoked in the early days of mountain bike development, not all of the riders were potsmoking hippies... " Frank J. Berto

Who's that f#$king Doug Lexington?!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    holy crap!

you really went all out! i need to see that thing in person...

one gear, good beer saturday?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    jeroen - i saw your build thread last week. looking forward to the final product. i can't imagine the feeling of seeing your own personal creation come to life. seeing my bike is a dream come true and you've taken it a huge leap further.

max - it's on

Account Retired
    You'll be the 'Belle of the Brawl' at Gnome-Fest with a fancy rig like that.

mtbr member
    look at that crappy fork!

Can't wait to see it next time im out there. lookin soooo grood.

better yet you ought to bring it out here and show us FIB's and Mr LR how its done.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris N
    look at that crappy fork!

Can't wait to see it next time im out there. lookin soooo grood.

better yet you ought to bring it out here and show us FIB's and Mr LR how its done.
    Are all your trails under water like the one in your avatar?

Looks sweet Lance.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO XX1 Build
    2015 Niner Bikes Ambassador; Chattanooga, TN

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    actually chris, training wheels are much more effective as a means to keep you upright.

Members who have read this thread: 0