My stem broke :(- Mtbr.com
    Single Speed Nation

My stem broke :(

So my brand new (have had it for a week) GT Peace came with an Easton EA30 stem like the one here

Anyway, I'm out riding on Wednesday, and while climbing a short hill I'm out of the saddle and pumping away on my handlebars. Well, I hear a loud crraaack, and my handlebar starts moving within the stem.

I stop, inspect everything, and it turns out that the four bolts holding the faceplate onto the main body of the stem are now all stripped.

So I limped back home (luckily I was very close to a road, where i was able to ride home hands-free most of the time).

I've heard a rumour that Easton warrantied a whole bunch of stems recently. Has anyone heard of a problem like this? I'll still warranty the stem, for sure.

I guess in the meantime I'll take the stem off my Brodie (which is gathering dust) and throw it on the Peace. I believe it has the same diameter handlebars

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Back to the LBS and have them take care of it. If it's only a week old they should be contacting GT about replacement.

pants on head retarded
    All four stripped? Sounds like maybe they were over-torqued during the build up. Luckily stems are cheap and this should be covered under warranty.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I was kind of leery of those stems with the closely spaced faceplate bolts, or especially the ones with only 2 bolts. Seems like they wouldn't stand up to as much torque.

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007

Single Speed Nation
    ^^That put a laugh on my face^^

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by great_big_abyss
    ^^That put a laugh on my face^^
    Couldn't resist, nothing personal.

Gigantic Hawk
    I ditched the stocker on my Peace for a more burly Truvativ stem. The small (4mm) bolts really close together gave me zero confidence on it... but I had no issue lending it to a friend. Guess I'm a dick, oh well.

mtbr member
    There's a recall notice for the EA30 stem on Easton's home page... http://eastonbike.com/

Members who have read this thread: 0