My SS AM clydeproof Chameleon- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

My SS AM clydeproof Chameleon

So I built this up last summer and slowly compiled parts to turn the lizard into a fine SS do-it-all bike.

Old setup, very reliable, twitchy handling but too fun and very lightweight:

Then I stripped the paint and went to town on it. The only parts that were carried over from the previous build were the stem, grips, seatpost, seat, rear hub, and chainring. The rest of the parts were put onto an older Avalanche for a 1x9 light duty bike, I left those pics out on purpose since this is the SS forum.

New setup, details below

Build list:
    ODI Rogue grips on Easton EA70 bars
    Avid SD7 levers
    Rockshox Pike 454 coil
    Avid BB7 in the front, SD7 in the rear with Kool Stop pads
    Truvativ Stylo 180mm cranks
    MRP XCG bashguard
    Transition Revolution 32 front wheel
    Custom rear wheel consisting of a Surly 1x1 hub laced to a Rhynolite XL rim.

So far I'm very happy, the bike handles very well and should be completely bombproof. I'll find out how bombproof in a few weeks at the Clemson DH race. The drastic change in geometry is going to take a while to get used to but the bike should be much more capable in all situations. If I had to guess I'd say that shes probably around 26lbs, but I'm a big guy so weight weenie parts were out of the question.

And just to clarify the fenders are temporary, a donation bike came into the co-op I volunteer at last week with the front fender (on a FS Huffy no less) and who can turn down useful free parts?

Thanks for looking, I'm very proud of it since I did most of the work on it. Future plans are going to be better tires, probably Maxxis Crossmarks, and removing the decals from the fork, and getting rid of the zipties holding the brakeline on.

Out spokin'
    Nicely done! Judging from the amount of mud in the early photos, I imagine you'll enjoy having a disc brake (at least on one end of the bike). Nice fork, frame... everything.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Very nice! Good job!
    I love chameleon's, they are such a versital bike.

mtbr member
    Well we had a nice day after all of the snow thawed down here in GA so I was able to snap a few more pics of the bike, sans ridiculous fenders. She still hasnt been able to hit a single mtb trail due to most being closed for freeze thaw and wet conditions. Also, thanks for the compliments!

This is a closeup of the MRP XCG since I couldnt find much information on it before I bought it. Looks like a very sturdy design and it keeps the clean SS visual while still protecting your chainring.

So I guess technically I'm a 2speed?
    Last edited by GTscoob; 02-15-2010 at 11:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Heh. Love the build and the simple, no frills PIKE wording goes very well with it

mtbr member
    Heh. Love the build and the simple, no frills PIKE wording goes very well with it

Members who have read this thread: 0