my single speed project done-finally!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Smile my single speed project done-finally!

i finally finshed my 98 bontrager commuter single speed today. I have been riding my poor bonty for years and since i dont really do any mountain biking anymore since the kids keep me pretty busy, i thought i would try something new to freshen up my ride. i love to ride to work, which is a 4.5 mi. commute, and hate trashing my cannondale roadbike in the grime, so i though i would convert the bonty to a single speed. After much deliberation, i decided to go with a really clean look and trash the old, worn out shifters and what-not. I had a custom wheel built by Brave New Wheel, here in fort collins. they fit a shimano coaster brake hub on a mavix wheel and fit it for my frame. I picked up a cheap, wtb brand disc wheel for the front, a black seatpost and a set of black track cranks. I had to run a chain tensioner for now, but am working on a gear setup to elliminate that eventually, since i have vertical dropouts. I got a new set of michelin city 26x1.4 tires on it. i finally rode it home tonight from work (where i was working on it) and i must say i am impressed. still the great steel ride, no shifting and bike rides like a champ. I have a 44t front chainring and a 18t in the back. i ordered a 16t ring for the rear to see if i like that ratio better, the current 44x18 ratio seems a bit low right now. the 16t may help with the ellimination of the tensioner also. we'll see. thanks for looking.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails my single speed project done-finally!-bontrager1-768-x-512-.jpg  

my single speed project done-finally!-bontrager2-768-x-512-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Thanks for sharing. Is that Santa Cruz, California made?
    Creative Producer, Will of the Sun, Platform Pedal Shootout 1M+ views WoS

mtbr member
    dunno. it is a 98 model that was made after the trek deal. thats all i know about it's heritage. I have been riding it for 12 years. it is nice to me because it has a 1 1/8" steer tube unlike the earlier models. it also has clean, tapered stays, unlike pics of older bonty's i've seen. rides fantastic up and down the hills.

bikexor
    Have you noticed the tensioner loosening from stomping the coaster brake?
    Little Shred Riding Hood

mtbr member
    that hasnt been an issue yet...i thought about this when building it and it was never planned to have a tensioner. i am still waiting on a couple chainrings so i can mess with the chain length. i have a half-link, but it still made the chain a bit too tight. still waiting for the call that the parts are in....
    it is working for the meantime and using it only so i can ride again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by keithfoco
    that hasnt been an issue yet...i thought about this when building it and it was never planned to have a tensioner. i am still waiting on a couple chainrings so i can mess with the chain length. i have a half-link, but it still made the chain a bit too tight. still waiting for the call that the parts are in....
    it is working for the meantime and using it only so i can ride again.
    If you want to save a little money and time, this site has a calculator which will tell you exactly which cog/chainring/halflink combo that will work for your exact chainstay length.

FWIW

Members who have read this thread: 0