My Rig has arrived. (Finally)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

My Rig has arrived. (Finally)

It's been over 4 months since I ordered it but it was worth the wait. Here is some eye candy to tide everyone else over till the rest show up. I guess sometimes it pays to be short. Mine is a small (15.5) and I guess they make the small ones first.
    Attached Images Attached Images

ride your bike
    Quote Originally Posted by UzziDH
    It's been over 4 months since I ordered it but it was worth the wait. Here is some eye candy to tide everyone else over till the rest show up. I guess sometimes it pays to be short. Mine is a small (15.5) and I guess they make the small ones first.
    VERY NICE! Congrats. Now go ride.
    Taking it easy for all you sinners.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    thanks i need that!! mine should be here soon, hopefully!! i am on the east coast so we always get them last it seems

Nat
    mtbr member
    Wow, that 15.5 looks small! Almost like a kids' bike. Have you ridden it yet? First impressions?

mtbr member
    Yea, that's what I thought when I first saw it. It looked to me like a bmx bike with huge wheels. Then I took it home and sat it next to my Giant NRS and it actually looked bigger. It must be the wheels, but to me it rides just fine. I'll know more after this weekend when I get to spend some more time on it.

bicyclist
    a reba? i though they were going to have a rigid bonty fork???
    People who really know what happened aren't talking. And the people who don't have a clue, you can't shut them up.
    Tom Waits

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Niiiiicccceeeeeee. I want to hear how that thing rides. If I ever should happen to break my Buzz Bomb, the Rig might be <i>the</i> cost effective replacement frame.

Slightly (ok, a lot -- PM me) off topic, has anyone used those peel-off/stick-on Grabber toe warmers sitting in orange box on the counter behind the bike? I froze my toes numb while skiing last weekend, and thicker socks aren't in the cards. I'm thinking they may be good for cold winter riding as well.

mtbr member

The things you notice

Great looking bike Uzzi..Getting a Reba with the Rig just adds to the fun. Funny thing is I noticed that the shop is Highgear before I even got to checking out your Rig! I'll keep an eye out for you around town.
    XC
    PS- If Scotty put that thing together, I'd have a reputable mechanic check it out! (j/k)

pepito
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fish man
    a reba? i though they were going to have a rigid bonty fork???
    they scrapped that idea because they couldn't get it to work out. i don't know if it was problems with production, or the inability to keep them from failing during testing. either way, no bonty fork. yet.

the_dude
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling" ~James E. Starrs

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Nice Rig!
    oh, and nice pager! I haven't seen one of those since 9th grade....

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Yea, that's what I thought when I first saw it. It looked to me like a bmx bike with huge wheels. Then I took it home and sat it next to my Giant NRS and it actually looked bigger. It must be the wheels, but to me it rides just fine. I'll know more after this weekend when I get to spend some more time on it.
    Would you mind saying how much you paid for it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleSpeedPA
    Would you mind saying how much you paid for it?
    Retail is $1,000 which is a great deal I think. I paid a little less thanks to the bike shop I ride for. Thanks again HighGear!!! http://highgearomaha.com/site/index.cfm

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Those toe things work great - on a 25 deg day I left my Lakes at home. Only had my summer shoes in my bag and happened to have toe warmers in there from, ahem, hunting season, ahem, they hooked me up for the 3 - 4 hour ride. Surprisingly, my feet were warmer than they would have been in the Lake boots.

Slightly (ok, a lot -- PM me) off topic, has anyone used those peel-off/stick-on Grabber toe warmers sitting in orange box on the counter behind the bike? I froze my toes numb while skiing last weekend, and thicker socks aren't in the cards. I'm thinking they may be good for cold winter riding as well.[/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Toe Warmers Work!

Quote Originally Posted by Speedub.Nate
    Niiiiicccceeeeeee. I want to hear how that thing rides. If I ever should happen to break my Buzz Bomb, the Rig might be <i>the</i> cost effective replacement frame.

Slightly (ok, a lot -- PM me) off topic, has anyone used those peel-off/stick-on Grabber toe warmers sitting in orange box on the counter behind the bike? I froze my toes numb while skiing last weekend, and thicker socks aren't in the cards. I'm thinking they may be good for cold winter riding as well.

I've used these for years and they work great. I have been out as long as two hours in 20 degree cold and my toes were fine. The trick is to open the package @ 30 minutes before you apply them to your feet and put on your shoes, lets them get good & warm!

Russ

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Retail is $1,000 which is a great deal I think. I paid a little less thanks to the bike shop I ride for. Thanks again HighGear!!! http://highgearomaha.com/site/index.cfm
    That is a good deal, around a hundred or so less then the Bianchi GUSS, which although it is not 29", it does have some high end components on it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I'm a ski lift opperator at Mt. Batchelor and use those toe warmers all the time. They can save your life when it's miserably cold out. The trick with those things is when you're done using them seal them off in one of those vaccum sealers and they will last for ever pretty much, just as long as they aren't exposed to air.

nice rig too by the way

try driving your car less
    cool looking ride. remove the reflectors, though. they will break off and turn to trail litter.
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Bar and Saddle?

Is it just a poor picture or is the handlebar pretty far above the saddle? Make for some strange position I would think.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape
    cool looking ride. remove the reflectors, though. they will break off and turn to trail litter.
    First thing I did was take off the reflectors and lower the bars a little.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vcyclist
    Is it just a poor picture or is the handlebar pretty far above the saddle? Make for some strange position I would think.
    The picture was taken in the parking lot of the bike shop before I had a chance to ride it so yes the handlebars are pretty far above the saddle. I have it set up a little better now with the seat higher and one less spacer below the stem. They didn't want to cut the top of the fork off until I had a chance to get things where I want them. I will post more updated pictures next week.

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Looks like it would have a very "trialsy - chuckable" feel to it. Looks sweet!!

Just a tiny bit over my SS budget, but looks like it would be a very nice machine.

I notice it has v brake bosses - are there a few differently specced models?? I could see a set off maggies working well on a similar specced machine. I think I like the look of it with the avids though.

Looking forward to a ride report!!

Cheers, Dave.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Low_Rider

Just a tiny bit over my SS budget, but looks like it would be a very nice machine.

I notice it has v brake bosses - are there a few differently specced models?? I could see a set off maggies working well on a similar specced machine. I think I like the look of it with the avids though.

Cheers, Dave.
    Thanks Dave, yes it does have rim brake bosses on the rear only. The Reba fork is set up for disk only. I'll be taking it out this weekend and get you a ride report next week.

mtbr member

Nice ride....I just impulse bought a 17.5 Rig yesterday at my buddies shop. Slapped my CK headset on, a 34t chain ring, Shimano 540's, my seat and some lock on's. Sweet bike. Can't wait to wring it out tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Low_Rider

Cheers, Dave.
    I noticed the "Trials" look to the layout too, and that kind of turned me off. I was excited to see the Specialized SS untill I saw it first hand it had the same trials, dirt jump feel to it. I'm looking at the picture of the Rig on the website in another window, and I don't see that look in the picture on the website.

mtbr member
    I noticed the "Trials" look to the layout too, and that kind of turned me off. I was excited to see the Specialized SS untill I saw it first hand it had the same trials, dirt jump feel to it. I'm looking at the picture of the Rig on the website in another window, and I don't see that look in the picture on the website.
    It probably has a lot to do with the fact that it's a small frame (15.5). The other pictures I've seen of the bigger frames look like normal frames. I was just out riding it for the first time on the trails and it rides just like my Stumpjumper Hard Tail.

mtbr member
    It def is not a trials/huncking bike. I got to get out this weekend on mine and this thing rips. It is the first 29'er I have ever ridden and I am impressed. It rides smoooooth. I was rigid on my 26" SS, but the Reba on the Rigg is pretty damn sweet and I think I will stay with it.

mtbr member

First Impression

I was finally able to make it out for one short ride this weekend. Since this is my first SS and also my first 29er I realized I have a lot to learn. The bike rides a lot like my Stumpjumper hardtail. The biggest differences I notice is that you have to use more muscle to keep a line in a corner. I believe the bigger wheels make the bike want to stand up more in the corners. Also, I was catching myself reaching for the shifters that were not there a lot. I do like the way the bike goes over bumps and it seems to accelerate very good. But, I really didn't get to spend enough time on the bike because the trails were starting to get soft. Hopefully it will be cold enough this weekend that I can get it some good long rides. BTW: I did make a few upgrades to the bike to fit me better. I installed:
    1. Rock Shox suspension seatpost
    2. Lock on Grips
    3. Easton Stem with 5% more rise and 10mm shorter
    4. Tictec riser bars

markybrue
    Jan 2005

how tall are you???

The seat is very high!! Did you consider a larger size?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by markybrue
    The seat is very high!! Did you consider a larger size?
    No, I like small frames because I'm only 5'6''. My Giant NRS is a small 16.5 so I figured with the bigger wheels it would be ok. Yea, I agree the seat is high, it's right at the limit mark, but I now have it set up just the way I like it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    they scrapped that idea because they couldn't get it to work out. i don't know if it was problems with production, or the inability to keep them from failing during testing. either way, no bonty fork. yet.

the_dude
    I found a picture on ebay of a Moots Snow bike shown at interbike 04 using an old marzochhi steerer crown assembly with straight Ti stanchions. You could try that idea with cromo legs from a local framebuilder.

My costings brought the price to may be a 200 bucks

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swampdonkey
    I found a picture on ebay of a Moots Snow bike shown at interbike 04 using an old marzochhi steerer crown assembly with straight Ti stanchions. You could try that idea with cromo legs from a local framebuilder.

My costings brought the price to may be a 200 bucks
    Hey...great idea! It just so happens I have an old Marzocchi z1 Bam with removeable crown in my garage. Hmmmm...

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Fork pics

Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    Hey...great idea! It just so happens I have an old Marzocchi z1 Bam with removeable crown in my garage. Hmmmm...
    Couldnt find the moots pic but heres one of the Rig showbike for reference

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swampdonkey
    Couldnt find the moots pic but heres one of the Rig showbike for reference
    Was this the one you were thinking of (from Shiggy's site).