My Ride From Hell !!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004

My Ride From Hell !!

well yesterday (my good ride) me and buddy went for our saturday 29er singlespeed ride through yorba linda chino hills state park , its a 27 mile loop i was felling great at the end and asked my buddy if he wanted to go another lap , let's pass im tired , so i made it my mission to go again this morning , i left my truck @ 7:00 am and was back at the truck after my first lap at 9:12 am to get some more gu roctane & a clif bar , i set out on my next lap making good time and fealing great ... until mile 16 and got a flat (i will never go without a pump & patches again !! ) i had to walk for 3hrs and 45 min back to the truck and i feel like crap now as it was a hot & long journey back , my legs are so SORE
    what is the longest some of you have walked ?? thanks... im going to take a nap now
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I have walked really long ways, but not due to tires, I try to remember air and a tube, the odd injury is normally my cue to hit the bricks.

I grew up riding in the yorba linda area but when I lived there YL was a couple of streets, a fire station and the Stater Bros. When we moved to Placentia, there was all of 800 people in the town.

Dont forget the goods!! I'll bet you wont.
    Its the internet...we all sleep with supermodels.

808+909 = Party Good Time
    was that on the Peace? How was the fork?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    flatting with no tools/spare is pretty much a lesson in humility.

I have only once left without tubes/pump..............that was a several hour hike.
    time was just under 3 hours I think, but this was before I rode clipless, so not as brutal as it could have been.

a couple of times, I was on trail, and realized I had forgotten something (tube/pump, lever, etc.)

I don't have near the problems that I did when I would do 'safety checks' before rides, but sadly my mind has now started to fade, and I am apparently headed that direction again.

moral of the story is carry more than you need, and you likely won't need it.

now hopefully I just did not jinx myself.........................

i've walked over 3 hours (almost all uphill...so very little coasting involved) because i broke a chain and forgot my chain tool. that was not a good day.

walking that far isn't that bad normally. but in bicycle shoes, pushing a bike....ugh.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chumbox
    was that on the Peace? How was the fork?
    it was on my peace 9r as shown , i love the bike & the carbon fork is awesome , i tryed to get the white bros carbon but dealers could not even get them , so i read the reveiws on the origin-8 and found out it is the same fork for 100.00 less

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    A good reason to go tubeless...at least less chances on a flat. I had a couple of flats at Chino Hills and timing was perfect as I was like 1/4 mile from the car.

Bored
    I had an ride where I had all of my stuff to repair a flat with me. Then my pump broke. It caused a 10km walk home.
    Last edited by bigwheelboy_490; 07-15-2008 at 11:04 AM.
    MTBR is serious stuff.
    You never get better until you get out of your comfort zone.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheelboy_490
    I had an ride where I had all of my stuff to repair a flat with me. Then my pump broke. It cased a 10km walk home.

hahaha. you were MEANT to walk out on that ride.

I've been very lucky. I've walked about probably 2 or 3 miles after flatting, maybe a tad longer so nothing like a 16 mile hike but then again around here our trails rarely put us that far out from the parking lot without an easy way back.

The worst though was I had a friend bust a chain at the bottom of a pretty good sized climb back out to the parking lot. It was twisted (somehow) and completely ruined (not that either of us had a chaintool anyway) so me being the nice guy that I am, I stayed with him at an excruciatingly slow (walking) pace. What made it hurt was that I was on my SS and I wanted to see if I could make it up that slow... bad plan... sore legs insued.

mtbr member
    Things you learn the hard way - dress for the mountain not just the bike and take enough tools along so you don't need to dress for the mountain.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

Single and loving it
    Did an endo into a rock garden resulting in 3 broken ribs and a partially collapsed lung. Had to walk/push my bike 6 miles back to the car. Although the distance wasn't that great, the pain more than makes up for it.

As a bonus I got pneumonia a couple of weeks later from the lung injury....coughing on those tender still healing ribs was verrrry nice.

mtbr member
    busted my softride stem on a ride at Slickrock. Got lost. 7 hours later, when I could see light again, I walked to the parking lot. Then rode to the campground. Sucked.

(Ali)
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike
    take enough tools along
    I have a bag of tools so there is little chance of forgetting something. The bag goes in the backpack and I don't ride without the backpack.

Some things that I carry:

- Extra chain, in addition to several chain links

- Complete set of hex wrenches, in addition to a mini tool

- Extra tube (sometimes two of those), in addition to two different sets of patch+glue

- Carbondioxide cartridges, in addition to a good pump (dumped the old bad pump already)

- Several chain ring bolts

- Extra energy bars, gels, and electrolyte capsules

- etc.

I don't have extra spokes though... Hmmm...

Ali

Flat Pluto Society
    Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    busted my softride stem on a ride at Slickrock. Got lost. 7 hours later, when I could see light again, I walked to the parking lot. Then rode to the campground. Sucked.
    My old Softride stem broke on me on an urban assault ride, going down a set of stairs. The whole thing collapsed and almost sent my face onto the front wheel.

I'm lucky I still have my teeth.

fp
    Anti demagogue.

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

Members who have read this thread: 0