Des(s)ert Rat

My recent rigid ss outing...

I got out early, figuring that I could get a great audience to watch my fantastic prowess on my fully rigid singlespeed with way hard gearing. On the first hill I had to stand up to pedal, but no one passed me. There were some locals hanging out in the trees, but I passed them all! A couple darted out in front of me and were fast for a short sprint, but they quickly went off trail and let me go by. Afterall, being on a rigid singlespeed grants me the privilege of right of way. I continued on around the loop and kept passing so many locals, I couldn't believe how fast I was able to go on my rigid singlespeed. One local got super angry when I passed and stood up looking like he wanted to strike me down. Darn local wouldn't shut up either, rattling off all sorts of insults. If only they had a bike like mine, maybe they would understand. On the way back the climb was a downhill. A bit rocky, but I mastered it with my rigid singlespeed. I was having so much fun that I almost forgot to announce to the other trail users that had to jump off the trail for me that I was on rigid singlespeed, I'm sure they were duly impressed.

When I got back to the car I took the sock out of my shorts when no one was looking. I wouldn't want anyone to think that I was riding a rigid ss just to prove something...
    Last edited by screampint; 08-04-2005 at 05:48 PM.

paintbucket
    What kind of sock was it? :innocent:
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

the cool nerd
    Quote Originally Posted by screampint
    Afterall, being on a rigid singlespeed grants me the privilege of right of way.
    This is true, from what I understand, IMBA is adding it to their RoW triangle.

I was having so much fun that I almost forgot to announce to the other trail users that had to jump off the trail for me that I was on rigid singlespeed
    The trick is not to 'announce' it, just ride and enjoy their slackjawed, eyebulging expression when they realize that you just rocked through on a rss, while they are muscling their 27 speed, FS through the same section of trail. Especially if you're smiling, and ask them how things are going as you push through. You have to control your breathing thouh, never let them see you sweat or pant

When I got back to the car I took the sock out of my shorts when no one was looking. I wouldn't want anyone to think that I was riding a rigid ss just to prove something..
    I am sorry to hear this, I've always felt sorry for the unfortunates that have to resort to stuffing
    "The search for a perfect pint should take lifetime." M.Jackson

Ride bikes, not goats. Just good advice

Des(s)ert Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by sportsman
    never let them see you sweat or pant
    My kind doesn't sweat, we glow. And you should know that rigid singlespeeders never pant or are out of breath.

Des(s)ert Rat
    Sock guy socks, of course...

paintbucket
    Sock guy socks, of course...
    I prefer woolie boolies. Dry in summer, warm in winter. And bulkier.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

The Locals???

Squirrels, chipmunks, robins???
    Sir Dabs-alot

Des(s)ert Rat
    I showed 'em all! There was no way they could keep up.

Hey, an audience is an audience, and that's important when you have a rigid singlespeed, right?

Cubicle Fugitive

Nuts to socks.

I've been stuffing my wrist braces down there. . .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XCBob
    Squirrels, chipmunks, robins???
    Sounds more like lizards and snakes. But anyone riding a rigid singlespeed has NO FEAR of reptiles. Snakes tremble at the sight if a rider on a rigid singlespeed.

Sabine

Reviewer/Tester
    Not only the locals, but even scotsmen have been known to lift their skirts and run away screaming.."hootsmon!! 'ware the wee lassie wi the big rigid" when they see 'the screamer' coming..

A bonnie sight, indeed..

R.
    It is inevitable ...

Waiting to exhale.
    they quickly went off trail and let me go by. Afterall, being on a rigid singlespeed grants me the privilege of right of way.[/font]

Are you sure it wasn't because of the big nasty sock in your shorts?
    Quite possibly the slowest single speeder on earth.
    Now skating 'cause its cheaper.

J_T
    Pale-ale-ontologist
    ...but they quickly went off trail and let me go by...
    You did put the sock in the FRONT of your shorts, right?

Des(s)ert Rat
    It was better than the cottonballs they had on their butts.
    Last edited by screampint; 08-05-2005 at 07:24 AM.

Des(s)ert Rat
    Oh, is that the trick?

JRA
    mtbr member
    I got out early, figuring that I could get a great audience to watch my fantastic prowess on my fully rigid singlespeed with way hard gearing.
    Ahhhh ... the Glitter Girls. They smile prettily as they blast past you on the trail like you were sitting still. Good memories.
    Last edited by JRA; 08-05-2005 at 10:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Did you have any effect on the higher lifeforms?

Ms Pint,

Did have a chance to observe the effect that you and your new rigid singlespeed had on higher lifeforms? I'm sure the most highly evolved and sophisticated lifeform on earth recognized that you were flying down the trails on "a machine most macho". Did they greet you with smiles and thumbs-up. Did you hear cheers of incouragement as to passed? "You go girl!!!" Did they toss rose pedals on the trail in front of you? Or, being the most sophisticated and highly evolved lifeform on earth, did they not show any interest at all?

On the other hand, how did the next lower level of lifeform deal with you and your new rig? Did they welcome you into "their club"? Did they punch on the shoulder and say " Hey Dudess, WAY cool rigid singlespeed!!! What gear are you runnin' ?" Did they show you their secret handshake and how to wipe your nose with your sleeve??? I'm sure they were giving each other high fives when you passed them on the trail. Or ???? Knowing how men are, do you get a less warm reception? Guys do not always behave well when their are feeling threatened or intimidated.

You what it's worth, if your out riding on a singlespeed...that's great! Do I think riding a rigid singlespeed automatically gives you more previlige or status? No. I hope you will ride ss because you enjoy it, not because you want to be "one of the big boys".

Way to go! You go girl! Try not to make us guy look too silly as you fly by us on the trails. -Bob
    Sir Dabs-alot

mx+mtb+SS=happy
    Jan 2005
    I think many people have missed the point with the original post and even after all of the followups from screampint I don't think they are getting it yet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

It went right over many people's heads

I think she was poking fun at many things and on a couple different levels. Most of which were missed by her readers. -Bob
    Sir Dabs-alot

mtbr member

say what?

Ms Pint,

Did they show you their secret handshake and how to wipe your nose with your sleeve??? I'm sure they were giving each other high fives when you passed them on the trail.
    Real men never wipe their noses.

KgB
    SNGLSPD
    I think she was poking fun at many things and on a couple different levels. Most of which were missed by her readers. -Bob
    I think mostly she was poking fun of herself although I read it seventeen times and it still leaves me saying WTF????
    I've been inside too long.

Ah...

use socks you fool. That damn banana I used was a pulpy mess...and the cucumber, well let's just say that what's his name from Spinal Tap must not ride a bike, especially not a rigid one.

Reviewer/Tester

I'm pretty sure we all got her 'point' ...

The 'screaming pint' is much liked, and she can take it as well as she can dish it out, which is good to see in one so talented.

I always enjoy her posts, and don't mind taking a dig at her humour sometimes, as i'm sure she takes it in the manner intended..

There are plenty of sock-wearing rigid singlespeeders on this forum, the 'pint' has plenty of targets she can hit..lol..

R.
    It is inevitable ...

No Justice = No Peace

Rigid SS

Are you still riding those girly little 26 inch wheels on your fixie, rigid SS? It is a fixie, right?

Excuse me, no sock here,,,,, walking it off, walking it off.....

Don't act like you're not impressed....
    "Welcome to my underground lair...."

cause it's fun
    Jan 2004
    A few months ago we were in Fruita. As the wife and I began riding up prime cut I started preaching to her about how superior I was with my rigid singlespeed campared to her geard dual suspenssion bike. Then I heard click, click, and in a flash she passed me taking the sock from my shorts as she flew on by!

I figured God must have been napping when this happened.

The locals were unimpressed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    bus driver wanna be

Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by gofast
    A few months ago we were in Fruita. As the wife and I began riding up prime cut I started preaching to her about how superior I was with my rigid singlespeed campared to her geard dual suspenssion bike. Then I heard click, click, and in a flash she passed me taking the sock from my shorts as she flew on by!

I figured God must have been napping when this happened.

The locals were unimpressed.
    You have an excellent wife