my parts bin mtb fixee is done.............- Mtbr.com
    got bike?

my parts bin mtb fixee is done.............

Finished it up wednesday and have been out a couple times now. I'm mostly using it for my ride to work and running errands around town, that sorta thing. Will be putting 1" slicks on it in the spring.

It's very cool. I like it alot. Feels totally different than any bike I've ridden before. Plus, all my riding buds think I'm nuts so I get extra points for insanity. Gearing is 32/15, the magic gear for this bike. Also seems great for around town. Total cost was $5.99 for brake pads. Everything else I either had laying around in the parts bin, or I scrounged from the LBS. Can't beat that eh?

Parts list;
    Giant Rincon frame 19"
    SR Suntour XCR fork (will be replaced with a rigid when i find one with a suitable crown to axle
    Axiom Stem
    Zoom 170 flat bar
    Avid 2.0 lever, STX-RC front V brake
    Selle Royal saddle
    Thomson seatpost
    '94 LX cranks with STX ring (has a spider for the granny on it so i was able to just bolt it to the granny holes.
    '96 XT hubs (rear freehub body welded) with Rhyno-Lite rims
    Panaracer Fire XC Pro tires, 2.1 front 1.8 rear

Sorry the pics are a bit blurry, my digicam is cheap.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Shreddin the Cul de Sac
    Perfect - Congrats on the conversion!
    Sounds like it went perfectly!
    keep moving

75% Mountain cycle

Cog play? Does it slop when you back pedal?

I did the welded free-hub thing and I can't get the play out of the cog/freehub interface. When I apply back pressure to the pedals to slow down, I can feel a slight slop.

Do you have this problem?

Here's a pic of my weld job.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

The slop is in the chain

I've noticed on my fixie that there is "slop" in the pedalling motion that increases as the tension on the chain decreases (when the chain stretches with use or when the wheel slides forward just a little bit). I'm running a dedicated fixed set up too (thread on cog and lockring). I think it's normal if your chain tension isn't really tight.

got bike?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nater
    I've noticed on my fixie that there is "slop" in the pedalling motion that increases as the tension on the chain decreases (when the chain stretches with use or when the wheel slides forward just a little bit). I'm running a dedicated fixed set up too (thread on cog and lockring). I think it's normal if your chain tension isn't really tight.
    Yes, I do have a very slight amount of slop. I'm sure it's coming from the chain. I'm gonna file a tiny bit out of the dropout so i can move the wheel back a smidge. That should fix it. If not, no biggie, doesn't really bother me.

I dare say I think I'm getting the hang of this fixee thing. Starting to feel MUCH more comfortable on it. I think it's going to take awhile though to be able to skid the back wheel.