My New Unit- Mtbr.com

Thread: My New Unit

mtbr member

My New Unit

Well, I've had a healthy dose of 29er skepticism for a long while now. I'm short (5'5") and the local trails are tight, twisty, and somewhat technical. I figured the 29er had no business under me on the west coast trails of Canada, the birthplace of North Shore riding.

Last year I converted my old steel rigid to singlespeed and it quickly became my goto bike on the local trails. It was simple, precise, and fun. I liked this style of riding A LOT and soon started looking for a modern equivalent to my old rigid.

I was set on a 1x1 or maybe a 26" Inbred but I was also curious about the Karate Monkey. As luck would have it I had a chance to test it on the local trails and the Monkey was great! A little slower to get up to speed but otherwise it was all good news.

My LBS is a Kona dealer and suggested I check out the Unit. A reasonably priced Rigid SS 29er. Fit the bill so I bought an 18". I had it built up bone stock except for the pedals (used my spds), shorter stem, and changed out the grips for some Oury lock ons. Ready to roll!

First ride went pretty well but 32x18 gearing is for desert riding or grocery getting and Small Block 8s are for hardpack or masochists. I've since changed out the 18T for a 20T and the SB8s for Ignitors. Much better! The bonus with the Unit is that it's about 3 bikes in one. I'll be ordering some front suspension soon and I will probably run it 1x9 at times as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My New Unit-concorde-kudu.jpg  

My New Unit-unit.jpg  

HTFU and Ride
    very nice!

i agree with the SB8 (at least for a front tire). mountain kings are amazing and a 29er with a 100mm fork is like butter

enjoy!
    Winter is coming.

mtbr member
    Thanks!

Ignitor as a front tire is just ok. Played with pressure but seems to break away a bit when cornering.

I use a Weirwolf 2.35 (winter) and a Weirwolf LT 2.55 (summer) upfront on my 26 rigid with much sucess on local trails.

Any of you rigid 29er singlespeed peeps have experience with the Panaracer Rampage or Exiwolf as a front tire??

one chain loop
    nice, are you sure it's 18"?
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    Rigid 29er front tire of choice - WW 2.55LT, tubeless at 24 psi. Buttery smooth and good traction.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishcreek
    nice, are you sure it's 18"?
    Yeah, sticker on the side says 18. I initially wanted the 16" but lbs recommended going with the 18 and slightly shorter stem. glad I did.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I am surprised you went with the 18" at your height. I bought a 2009 Unit and went with the 16" and I am 5'7". I thought the 18" felt way too big.

I have the 2.35 rampage on as my front and I like it a lot. The original tire was a 2.1" ignitor and the larger tire takes out some of the sting with the ridged fork.

mtbr member
    I was concerned about the sizing but after I changed the stock 90mm stem to a 70mm the cockpit felt the same as my medium stumpy (23.2") , rigid 26, and my on one 456 (23.2"). The effective TT on the 18" Unit is 23.3" while the 16" is 22.4" with a slacker HTA. The 16" Karate Monkey I tried has a 22.6".

mtbr member

Unit upgraded

Unit is working out great for me.

I've made a couple of upgrades that I think help make this bike shine in my area of riding. Ignitor on the back and a 2.4 Ardent on the front. Also swapped out the rigid for a Manitou Minute and the 20T Surly for a 21T.

First ride with the upgrades went well but the 2.4 may be overkill with the Minute up front. May save it for the rigid and go back to Ignitor up front to save some weight. Also, Minute was pretty good but may upgrade the Absolute damper for the Absolute+. Ran it two clicks from open with 100psi and noticed a bit of stiction. Running it open bottomed it too easily. Will give it some time to break in and see how it goes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My New Unit-img_2956.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Is the fork an 80 or 100mm?

mtbr member
    80mm

mtbr member
    Glad to see that you're enjoying the Unit. I'm loving mine. I kept it rigid and went with a 2.4 Racing Ralph on the front. I might upgrade to a Niner CF fork in the future but I'm not sure. I got frame only and had most of the part to build it up. Here's a picture
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My New Unit-p1020524.jpg  

60; it's the new 40!

mtbr member
    Sweet ride Sweeney

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I have an 08 dawg deluxe but I wanted to see if liked 29er rigid so I got me a unit and I like it a lot.I've got MK 2.4s and a fox fork on the way.Rigid is fun if I'm by myself but its hard to keep up with a group.I was thinking about 1x9 as well it would be easy to switch back and forth.

Members who have read this thread: 0