Chain: SRAM PC-890
    Stem: RaceFace
    Brakes Avid Elixir CR Front: 185mm, Rear: 160mm
    Crank: Truvativ Stylo
    Chainrings: Surly (Currently 33x18)
    Fork: White Brothers Rock Solid
    Weight: Approx 18.5lb (8.3kg)
    Purchased last week from Custer Cyclrey of Augusta MI

So far, I'm loving the single speed, 29er front wheel and especially the White Brothers fork. I should have gone rigid years ago. It's so easy to pull the front wheel over obstacles, and sooo much lighter. I'm getting complements left right and center about the Red Velocity Rims. Elixir CR brakes have amazing stopping power, modulation.
    Love it, Love it, Love it!

Low Rep Count
    Nice rims. I am planning to have my buddy build me up a set of Velocity VXC's in red with some White Industries hubs! Now that I can see them in a photo built, I must, say, I do like them!

mtbr member
    The bike is actually a demo bike, so its been ridden on those rims alot. they are straight and true, tough rims. love 'em

mtbr member

New ride

Welcome aboard ! Sounds like u are pretty fired up. I am building another SS right now. I have a 93 Klein Rascal 34x22. Your bike looks nice. What we got for the weight total ?
    Suicide by single speed. Work in progress.

mtbr member

weight

Sorry 18.5 lbs. Just right !

mtbr member
    Thanks! I haven't had this much fun riding in years, its like riding the trail instead of riding the bike
    its about 18.5...havent weighed it yet on a good scale yet, lol
    yeah, its going great except for the Singleator needing adjustment every time i remove the rear wheel...there may be something wrong with it...for now, its zip-tied in place

mtbr member

Singlespeeds

Have u tried eliminating the singulator with a different tooth sprocket and or by using a half link ? I have been spoiled not having to with the 93 Klein's horizonal d.outs and my Ridgeline has a slider so it has a horizonal and a vertical in one to be able to use q/release. You will notice getting stronger in only 6 rides or so. Go catch the gearies......lol !

Did I catch a niner+?
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient rascal
    Have u tried eliminating the singulator with a different tooth sprocket and or by using a half link ? I have been spoiled not having to with the 93 Klein's horizonal d.outs and my Ridgeline has a slider so it has a horizonal and a vertical in one to be able to use q/release. You will notice getting stronger in only 6 rides or so. Go catch the gearies......lol !
    To true. My gearie friends I was always lagging behind when I was using gears. Now they look behind them and see me rolling up on them very fast. My look is usually get the hell outta my way or get run over.

My favorite thing to do is give them a little tire rub, like an ass slap in football.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient rascal
    I'd like to eliminate the thing entirely, its too noisy, and beyond that, the chain slaps on the seatstay...i dont know if i can shorten the chain just right, Dan at Custer Cyclrey is a damn good mechanic, if he didnt do it, i doubt i'm smarter than he is. For the time being, i'm just going to keep the thing adjusted, and keep a zip tie in my saddlebag so i can tie it up after a flat

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bonbonan
    Nice bike.
    thanks!

mtbr member

Tension

Sometimes there is a magic combination that works.....but not always. A half link can make your chain shorter or longer by 1/2 link. Weakens the chain a bit though. U will figure it out. Who knows how to fix this so he can....... 86 the tensioner ?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    just curious why you didn't go with a PC-1 or PC-7x

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    dang. that is just sweet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by V02 deficient
    just curious why you didn't go with a PC-1 or PC-7x
    Thats what my lbs put on it when they built it up. It was a demo bike the owner rode for a year, then he tore it down to sell as a frame only. nobody bought that so he built it up just like this, with studded tires as a winter beater (ha! the luck, a carbon bike for a winter beater), then he put it back on the rack to sell as a full bike, the way you see it here.

Quote Originally Posted by dangmtb
    dang. that is just sweet.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57
    To true. My gearie friends I was always lagging behind when I was using gears. Now they look behind them and see me rolling up on them very fast. My look is usually get the hell outta my way or get run over.

My favorite thing to do is give them a little tire rub, like an ass slap in football.

It's so true about the training, my first race I passed four geared bikes on one climb, then another on the way downhill! I'm even noticing more strength, and higher avg speeds on my roadbike.

Gigantic Hawk
    Keep an eye on your Surley hub bearings. My buddy has had to put new ones in both his hubs in a very short amount of time.

Love the rims. I'm running some orange Blunts with Chub hubs. They are an awesome combo.

mtbr member

speaking of surly

http://www.surlybikes.com/blog/spew/...d_drivetrains/ here is an article on singulators for you.

mtbr member

WWYD?
    Quote Originally Posted by billmania
    Like the lightweight bike and the 69er action. I'm riding a KHS solo-one softail 69er, its a porker at about 24 lbs.

I do notice in the photos that the chain is a bit loose. Is it stretching? Have you got some miles on it already in the photo? Thats probably why its slaps the seatstay. It could fall off on a downhill too. I think if you lost the tensioner you'll have issues if the chain stretches. Have you thought about taking a link out?

On another singlespeed I have a push-down tensioner that I've adjusted the tension with a ziptie attached to the chainstay to take make it quieter. It really works. I think yours is a push-up? Maybe you can adjust the spring somehow.

Just my 2 cents. Happy trails with the bike!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyb
    Like the lightweight bike and the 69er action. I'm riding a KHS solo-one softail 69er, its a porker at about 24 lbs.

I do notice in the photos that the chain is a bit loose. Is it stretching? Have you got some miles on it already in the photo? Thats probably why its slaps the seatstay. It could fall off on a downhill too. I think if you lost the tensioner you'll have issues if the chain stretches. Have you thought about taking a link out?

On another singlespeed I have a push-down tensioner that I've adjusted the tension with a ziptie attached to the chainstay to take make it quieter. It really works. I think yours is a push-up? Maybe you can adjust the spring somehow.

Just my 2 cents. Happy trails with the bike!
    If the chain tension looks off, it's bc it is. that singulator isnt adjusted right, i dont know how to do it right. I'm going back to the bike shop tomorrow to have it looked at, rim trued, and i somehow managed to bend the rear brake disc significantly. I"m also going to discuss removal of chain links with him.

as far as the chain slap, ive had the singulator zip tied to the frame and it still slaps...i'm going to have to figure something else out for that. I'm kind of getting fed up with it, if it gets too bad, i'm going to go 1x9 on this bike and convert my GF Wahoo into a single speed for training since that frame is scratched to hell anyway...

Members who have read this thread: 0