My new SS project starts today- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2014

My new SS project starts today

Finally got it! What a thing of beauty! It looks much more pretty being held in my hands than any picture on the internet can do justice! This is a solid looking frame that is supposed to weigh in at a mere 5 lbs. Tang Prestige steel which is supposed to be a step up from 4130 and a step below reynolds 835.

Just got through rust treating it outside. What a sticky mess! It is sitting in the original box in my cold garage drying.

I am awaiting cranks, BB, and headset from Jensen USA. Saving to get my wheels built by a shop in St Joseph. We got estimated to have Stans rims, Surly hubs, and a White ENO free wheel for the wheels. Got a like new condition Salsa Cromoto Grande fork sitting in the garage. Bars, stem, seat, seatpost, pedals, tires, and brakes yet to be determined. This is a winter project so don't know how long it will be between update posts but I will keep posts coming as I get progress.

My new SS project starts today-14203186029911.jpgMy new SS project starts today-14203185875140.jpg

mtbr member
    Very nice! That was my second choice for my SS project but I went with an aluminum 29er (at 5' 6" tall? What am I thinking??). Love the color of that B-side!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post
    Very nice! That was my second choice for my SS project but I went with an aluminum 29er (at 5' 6" tall? What am I thinking??). Love the color of that B-side!
    LOL Yea I am just over 6' and I am loving 650B. My Jamis is that and I think it is an awesome wheel size.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by iowamtb View Post
    LOL Yea I am just over 6' and I am loving 650B. My Jamis is that and I think it is an awesome wheel size.
    What size frame is that?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    18.5" (large) with a 34" inseam that should give me around 2.5-3" clearance on standover.

Edit this. I wear pants with a 34" inseam but from my crotch to the floor (actual measurement) it is close to 35.5". So the large frame is said to have a standover of around 31.5" so I should have a an extra inch or so added to my original estimate.

I know some people standover means squat. Well it means a hell of a lot to me. I can adjust the cockpit with shorter/longer stems and different bars and seats and tubes ect. I want to know if I bail off on a steep climb that my family jewells are safe.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Ok guys. this is the first pic my wife took and I refused to post it cause I thought I looked silly. My whole family says I am silly for thinking that so I guess they are twisting my arm. Ok I will reveal my identity lol.

My new SS project starts today-14203390732350.jpg
    Last edited by iowamtb; 01-04-2015 at 06:18 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I need some advice. I just noticed from my pics something I didn't see before. I looked at my frame to verify. Notice on the inside oh each chain stay there is a crease from the tube bender. Now look at the outside front of the stays in both pics. One side has the same crease and the other side does not. Is this a defect or could this be normal design to allow chainring clearance? What should I do?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    that crease is for the chainrings...only need it on one side.

mtbr member
    Yup, they dent it on the inside for tire clearance and on the right side for chainring and spider clearance. Nothing to worry about.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    That's good to know. I didn't really want to send this back especially after I already rust proofed it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iowamtb View Post
    Ok guys. this is the first pic my wife took and I refused to post it cause I thought I looked silly. My whole family says I am silly for thinking that so I guess they are twisting my arm. Ok I will reveal my identity lol.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14203390732350.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	296.6 KB 
ID:	952541
    Great pic and nothing silly about it. I love holding a new frame before building it up. In fact, I store the frame in my home office, instead of my basement shop, until I'm ready to build it up. I just love to look at it. I made a post about this a few weeks ago!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    It may come inside once it dry and cleaned. Don't want any sticky rustproofing getting on the carpet.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    iowamtb, depending on the temp in your garage the frame saver/rustproofing my still drip/run when you bring the frame inside to a much warmer climate. I would put plastic down then cardboard just in case.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bankofdad View Post
    iowamtb, depending on the temp in your garage the frame saver/rustproofing my still drip/run when you bring the frame inside to a much warmer climate. I would put plastic down then cardboard just in case.
    I wondered about that myself. Yea it was around 18 degrees yesterday and today holy **** it is about 5 above. Maybe I better bring it in.

western NC
    Congrats!! I love mine like a fat kid loves cake.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by HPIguy View Post
    Congrats!! I love mine like a fat kid loves cake.
    what size is yours? Did you find that you needed a longer or shorter stem for the cockpit on this bike? I contacted soma about their frame before the purchase and I gave them a chart with my current geometry and they said their top tube was the same length but because the geo was slacker some people found the cockpit a little crowded. I currently have a 90 millimeter stem and wider bars with a cross-country geometry. I'm wondering if I will need to go with a longer stem for this frame but I prefer to stay with an even shorter stem if I can get away with it like a 50 or 70.

western NC
    Well, I'm 6'2" with a 32 or so inseam, and I prefer a roomier cockpit (especially on a SS) so I went with the 20.5 based on the top tube length of my other bikes that I'm happy with. I run a 70mm stem and couldn't be happier with it. I'll trade off a bit of nimbleness for high speed stability, but that's simply my own personal preference. I had a nashbar bees knees with a shorter TT and longer stem and just never got used to it, it always felt twitchy to me (but a lot of that is different geometry also). I robbed most of the parts off of it to build up my Soma, and have been slowly upgrading it as I can. Last two parts (wheels and crankset) should be upgraded this month.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I am 6' and 1/2" and wear a 34 inseam for pants. I went with the 18.5 as stated above just cause I prefer a frame a little on the smaller side. I think I am going to go with the 50-70 mm stem myself but hope it doesn't have me sitting too upright.

western NC
    I actually have found I prefer a bit more upright on SS since I'm standing for the harder climbs anyway, by default my weight is farther forward keeping the front down. My position overall is actually pretty different from my geared bikes, higher stem, shorter reach, lower saddle, etc.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I might try a shorter stem then. I had a short 50mm stem/longer bars on order once last summer for my XC bike till a bunch of riders on here warned me of using that set up with a XC geometry so I sent them back. Since then I did shorten my stem from 110 to 90 and got slightly longer bars and love the way the bike rides. But this B Side has a slacker geo similar to all mountain or trail so I think from what I have read I can get away with a much shorter stem on this geometry.

western NC
    They warned you? LOL To each their own, but random people on the internet have no idea how my bike fits me, but I do and I set my bikes up in the way that works best for me.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I was pretty green at the time and so I didn't know any better but to believe some people that I thought I knew more than me and maybe they did lol. But now I understand that what you just said is true.

western NC
    Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of knowledgeable people here. But at the end of the day, you're the one riding it, and the one who's got to be comfortable on it.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by HPIguy View Post
    Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of knowledgeable people here. But at the end of the day, you're the one riding it, and the one who's got to be comfortable on it.
    How true how true.....

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Heres what I got so far. Shimano M675 hydros, Shimano rotors, Stans Arch rims, Hope hubs (still awaiting delivery), Answer bars, ODI grips, Truvative Hussefelt stem, Race Face cranks, Cane Creek headset, Sette spacers, Salsa fork.

I have no idea if I will like this short stem or longer bars but I think the stem will be fine. The bars were only 1/2" rise to get lower and I can play with my stem spacers to lower quite a bit if needed as well as shorten my steer tube if needed as well. The bars are 780 mm and I have a feeling they will be getting shortened but I want to ride with my grips in different places before I start hacking. I got 700 mm on my Jamis and love that width but it has a 90 mm stem. Still 780 bars seem like I would be trying to ride a Texas longhorn through a plum thickett lol! Can't wait to get my wheels built and a seat.

My new SS project starts today-parts.jpg
    My new SS project starts today-14222039208401.jpg
    My new SS project starts today-14222039341382.jpg

Downcountry AF
    looks sweet man. your going to love riding it. reading this stuff really makes me want to build another SS.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I couldn't resist taking it out to my garage and swapping my Jamis wheels onto it and my diamondback seatpost onto it just to see what it would look like. Gonna look good! My hope hubs and skewers are blue so that will add some extra pop.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Finally got my Hope hubs, Skewers, seat clamp, and Race Face Turbine seat post. Wheels are laced with Sapim Race spokes and brass nipples. My first set of wheels and I could not be happier. Truing was a time consuming process but the second wheel went much faster than the first. Amazing how much you learn in such a short amount of time.

My new SS project starts today-14247450808680.jpgMy new SS project starts today-14247450966221.jpgMy new SS project starts today-14247451074782.jpgMy new SS project starts today-14247451193693.jpg

Stateline Falls, Watauga
    Congrats on your first wheel build. They look great.

In case you didn't do it, you should stress-relieve the spokes as described by Sheldon Brown on his wheel building page. I like his method of twisting a wrench between pairs of spokes. It sounds silly, but I've found it does help build a more stable wheel that will stay true longer. On the other hand, I think that spoke head punches *are* silly, even though I bought and used one for my first few builds.
    It never gets easier, you just go faster. -Greg LeMond
    I'm not as fast as I think I am. -JeffL

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffL View Post
    Congrats on your first wheel build. They look great.

In case you didn't do it, you should stress-relieve the spokes as described by Sheldon Brown on his wheel building page. I like his method of twisting a wrench between pairs of spokes. It sounds silly, but I've found it does help build a more stable wheel that will stay true longer. On the other hand, I think that spoke head punches *are* silly, even though I bought and used one for my first few builds.
    I maybe didn't stress relieve them as much as some people say to but several times during the build I grabbed the spokes and squeezed them hard al the way around. I heard a few of them popping. I even put the rear wheel on the floor and pushed down on it around the clock. Not sure I stress relieved them enough but I did do it. I cannot get any spokes to pop anymore.

enjoys skidding
    Those dropouts are sexy! Keen to hear how much work they are to get the wheel straight in.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jasevr4 View Post
    Those dropouts are sexy! Keen to hear how much work they are to get the wheel straight in.
    well I will tell you this they are finger tight in there right now. And when you put the wheel in and clamp it tight it forces the dropouts to fit flush against the end of the hub. So therefore everything automatically squares itself up. The only difference would be if there was any slop in the slot compared to the axle. And there doesn't appear to be very much so I think its going to automatically square itself once I initially assemble this bike.

enjoys skidding
    Good to hear. I know some can be a pain to get right with a disc brake but like everything, it's just learning the tricks with it.