the spec list...

- sette lock on grips
    - avid fr-5 grips
    - giant ss chain

- 6mm problem solvers chainring bolts
    - salsa 36t 110bcd chainring

SS conversion kit - (www.bestsinglespeedbike.com) the misfit kit
    -cog, tensioner, and spacers.

dimension w/alex2000 rims (hub) wheel - yup had to get a whole new wheel since mine was a freewheel

90's (vintage shimano deore crank - this thing rocks like it a lot better than the factory one that was taken off.)

grand total for parts around $200

I have now moved to the dark side and will stay that way...SS is totally awesome i've ridden off and on since this afternoon and am just thrilled too do away with the gears. it is much better on dirt trails. and is silky smooth as always with the simple drivetrain. thanks for all the help and information you guys have given me as I would just be lost without it lol. here are the pics below of the finished result..( i know it's only low end but i hope u all like it) cheer.

Last edited by Kyle0614; 07-09-2009 at 04:01 PM. Reason: title was to long in case somone is searching the subject.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Looks sweet, ditch the kickstand though...
    Axle Standards Explained

Founder at North Atlantic Dirt, riding & writing about trails in the northeast.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    lol i figured u guys wouldn't like the stand , i'm just tired of leaning it against stuff. appreciate the comment though.

mtbr member
    You might even look into adding a tooth in the front or rear, that might be enough to ditch the tensioner. A half-link might even work.

It does look like a good conversion and if you're happy you'll ride more often.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    ^^ how do i go about this "half-link" ....do i just take the tensioner off and add a half link ? and see if its tight ...just curious ... the tensioner is pretty sturdy though and matches the bike...it doesn't bother me all that much, but i'd like to be able to get it without one at some point in time..thanks for the help gtscoob..

I'd Rather Be Sailing
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle0614
    ^^ how do i go about this "half-link" ....do i just take the tensioner off and add a half link ? and see if its tight ...just curious ... the tensioner is pretty sturdy though and matches the bike...it doesn't bother me all that much, but i'd like to be able to get it without one at some point in time..thanks for the help gtscoob..
    Nice bike you have there! Yes, just drop that tensioner...looks ugly anyway. And worst of all, people might even think you have gears

Half-link will do the trick. Check my bike and you'll see what I mean.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=523943

mtbr member
    Looks good!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I'm not a big fan of half links... I prefer the chain to be "whole." I do however believe in the right chain tensioner to fit your needs. I had that exact same chain tensioner when I converted and it was absolutely awful. I couldn't figure it out but it kept skipping on the cog even though it was lined up perfectly. It put such a bad taste in my mouth about single speeds I almost converted back to geared. I spent a few bucks on PricePoint and got in a fixed Sette tensioner and it was a night and day difference. I took it on some intense trails friday afternoon and it held up wonderfully.

A half link is a very cheap alternative, but if you ever look into getting a new chain tensioner, consider a fixed one such as the Rennen Rollenlager (haven't used, but has gotten great reviews) or the Sette Chain Guide II, which I own and find to be great.

http://www.pricepoint.com/images/sty...5%20SETCT7.jpg

Members who have read this thread: 0