mtbr member
    Sep 2005

My new singlecross

This is the first iteration of something I've wanted to put together for a while. A (pretty much) out and out 'cross race bike. There are a couple of different little touches which make it a little different. First, it's singlespeedable by virtue of the old-style semi-horizontal dropouts. Though this one doesn't, some of the prototypes have downtube cable stops, the type which take a threaded barrel adjuster, as well as a stop under the chainstay for the derailleur cable. Most likely production frames will have a similar arrangement - unless everyone desperately wants a singlespeed specific version

The rear cantilever brake bosses are also a little different. They are shot through the seat stays to keep the brake arm lower to the stays and thus reduce torsional flex on the stays and therefore improve braking. Plus they are nice and low profile and look good.

The finishing is pretty close to what I'd envisaged. The main frame colour could be a shade darker grey, and the downtube panel I think should be closer to black with a stronger pink logo. I'm going to get the forks painted to match and hope to do the same for production. And of course it will get it's own Kite headtube badge, a left-over Peregrine is standing in. I've only had a short spin on it and intitial impressions are very good. Stiff, light and fast. Steering is very responsive without being twitchy, and it still feels good at speed. Enough give in the frame and fork to take the edge off things, but doesn't chatter under braking.

Hope this is not construed as spam, thought you guys'd like to see it. Plus I'd really appreciate any feedback. Besides, it's not for sale anyhow (yet) ;-)
    Last edited by Singular; 09-26-2009 at 04:37 AM.
    Yes - I do own Singular Cycles

AZ
    banned
    IMHO , leave the paint alone .

mtbr member
    Nice ride! Looks fun, fo show.

mtbr member

Smile

Very nice... Me wants one!

Need test riders?
    Ride more!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    when you look at options for disc mounts (cause SOMEONE'S gonna ask for 'em, we always do)
    may I suggest chainstay, post-mounts.
    can replicate the shot through canti-post effect and end up with a tighter looking package visually.
    also, since all disc-crossers I've seen thus far are running avids... natural progression I figure
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

I'm attracted to Gravity!
    I also had thoughts of disc brakes and big tire clearance, but isn't that what the Peregrine is for? And this is meant to be a more race specific frame?

Looks NICE!

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    count me in for one as long as its steel , for the near future
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

Ovaries on the Outside
    That is sooo hot!

mtbr member
    Sam, if that's spam, it's tasty spam
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Will you be alienating short riders on your cross bike like you do your 29er's?

Beware the Blackbuck!
    Mar 2008
    That bottom bracket looks extremely low, is it just the angle, or do you have some numbers to show us. That frame is absolutely amazing looking, if only I didn't already have x2 crosscheck frames. Oh well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The smallest size we have protos of is a 50, so it's pretty small. More detail on geometry etc once we get a bit further along. The BB is quite low and that may well be something which changes for production.

There's a reason my smallest 29er is as small (or rather large) as it is. The Swift as it is was designed around forks with less offset, first generation 80mm Rebas, and I didn't want to put a bike out there which was liable to toe overlap when using commonly available suspension forks. Now that we seem to have settled at +/- 45mm of offset being the norm, I have been playing around with some designs to do a smaller size. I would need to change the rigid fork as well to achieve this so it's probably something I'd want to apply across all sizes.

Thanks for the comments.

Sam
    Yes - I do own Singular Cycles

mtbr member
    Sam,

The short(er) riders of the world will be very pleased if/when you apply the changes to frame & fork. Your bikes construction, style, versatility etc was exactly what I was looking for @ a good price point. In the end, I spent more than I wanted to. Of course, there's always room in the stable for a new bike.... *hint, hint*

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Very nice. Now, if only I could justify getting one after selling my Pompino to justify getting a Gryphon

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    hi sam that is looking very nice,

i meet you at big dog and bought a cap and shirt,how you doing

i done my 1st x race yesterday at deers leap(london league) and i rode my swift cause ive got a cracked rib and didnt think i could handle my x bike on the course,well the swift was awsome,i lost a little time on a couple of short flat sections but other than that i think i placed pretty good,im goner ride a few more x races ss and see how i get on,then i might be after one of them frames

you should get some of your guys down at some of the events to fly the flag/i coulnt wear the shirt cause im with a club but the bike got some attention though mate,i will be at most of the races,gis a shout if you want me to give the new frame a good testing ,lol

Members who have read this thread: 0