My new Salsa 3 speed adventure bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

My new Salsa 3 speed adventure bike

I like my single speed but sometimes like a lower or higher gear. I prefer simple friction shifters over indexed. I like good chainline and no frt derrailleur. I don't need 9 or 27 speeds and all the issues. Three on the back is perfect for me.

The bike is fun to ride in any terrain, any distance. I don't expect to spend much time on maintenance. The cassette cost $5, two of the cogs were recycled from an old cassette. I didn't spend much money on stuff that just breaks.

With a ebb and a der hanger I can turn this bike into a fixie/free down the road if I ever get tired of my trouble free three speed. In the real world of off roading I can turn it into a single speed if my derrailleur takes a dive.

I've been using this system for a few years and I think it has nothing but benefits over any other system I've tried. Its cheap and trouble free, I use a 14-18-26 homemade, recycled cassette. Set the limit screws on the rear derrailleur and it never needs another adjustment.

I never expect to put a squish fork on any bike I own. I like the 29er wheels. I have seen the light, I love the way this bike rides on rough trails.

It weighs about 28-30 and might cost about $2100. I plan to ride it all over the punny Oregon Cascades. Big mountains are easy to pedal up with low gears. Disc brakes are good to have here.

I built the whole thing, laced the wheels, picked all the parts myself. I'm very pleased with it. All the spokes were 288mm, kinda cool. Kinda simple.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    That is sweetness! I like how you placed the bag on the seatstays. And it features a double rear fender...nice!

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by lef-t
    I like my single speed but sometimes...
    Lef-T, you are the real deal. No doubt about it.

It looks very similar to a 9-speed to me, though.

Please tell me about your front non-derailleur. I'm confused by that gizmo, whatever it is.

--Sparty

P.S. Haven't ridden with you in a long while, Brutha. When was your last Barbie Camp? Several (too many) years ago. Next BC = Apr. 6-8... you're invited. Rock on!

P.P.S. The Cascades aren't puny, you just make them feel that way.
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Very cool - but do you just use the middle ring up front or do you manually move the chain onto the small and big rings as well???

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    Very cool - but do you just use the middle ring up front or do you manually move the chain onto the small and big rings as well???
    I had the same thought. If not, I'd ditch the other two chainrings.

mtbr member
    May 2004

I shift manually, the reflector bracket keeps the chain on

Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Lef-T, you are the real deal. No doubt about it.

It looks very similar to a 9-speed to me, though.

Please tell me about your front non-derailleur. I'm confused by that gizmo, whatever it is.

--Sparty

P.S. Haven't ridden with you in a long while, Brutha. When was your last Barbie Camp? Several (too many) years ago. Next BC = Apr. 6-8... you're invited. Rock on!

P.P.S. The Cascades aren't puny, you just make them feel that way.

Nine speed is hard to shift with a friction shifter, too much hunt and miss. I get a nice range with three and it always stays in gear when I'm ready to stand on it.

I've been riding with a slower older group, we like to ride and smell the roses. I've been paying attention to what the DOD is up to on the net. I still love riding the Oregon Mtns and Trails. Even though it's never stopped raining since I moved here.

Thanks for the BC invite, you people know how to have fun.

mtbr member
    May 2004

pick a range and stay with it

Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    I like to use the mid ring for the trails and the big ring for getting around. I don't want to be limited, I use the big ring a lot. I can shift it on the fly if I want to. A jump stop near the granny gear keeps the chain from falling on to the 22t ring if I kick it to far.

I shift the frt and rear sparingly, kinda like riding a real single speed. The reflector bracket keeps the chain from falling off the outside. It stays put with this simple device.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Cog spacing?

With the big jumps between the cogs what spacing works best for you? I have plenty of 8 spd. spacers lying around, would wider spacing shiift better, or does it matter?

I've played with three cogs and a single chainring, never considered using 3 rings. I might try two, one for road and one for off road.

Looking forward to more trip reports from you.

mtbr member
    May 2004

8 speed spacers are just fine

Quote Originally Posted by rocky rode
    With the big jumps between the cogs what spacing works best for you? I have plenty of 8 spd. spacers lying around, would wider spacing shiift better, or does it matter?

I've played with three cogs and a single chainring, never considered using 3 rings. I might try two, one for road and one for off road.

I don't think it matters much, just use whatever spacers you have, I shifts very easy with the big jumps.

Occidental Tourist
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky rode
    +1.
    it's gets kinda boring with people sleeping at home or in sleeping bags and such
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

highly visible
    Nice 29er, lef-t, and nice simplified gearing setup. I'm going to be converting my FS 29er to 2x4 or 2x5 (possibly with the same no-derailer front setup as you) when I get around to it. My other bikes are already simplified, either SS, internally geared or 1x5.

Ditto what Sparty said: you really need to bring that thing to Spring Barbie Camp!
    "People like GloyBoy are deaf. They are partisan, intellectually lazy & usually very angry." -Jaybo

Members who have read this thread: 0