Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

My "new" FIXED gear mutant bike....

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Singlespeedpunk 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, I had wanted this in a light olive green, but the gods of powder coating were against me, so "retro stove green" it is. Finishing touch would be a honey Brooks saddle and some tan tape....might wait until summer!

Spec:

1991 Stumpjumper Team frame, forks and headset.
Sugino tandem X-over chainset, Pace 36t ring, KMC chain
Kogswell hubs, Sun SubIV rims, DT Revolution spokes (left over from the 'Chesters wheels!) Maxxis TT tyres (good on/off road...plus I could not get my cheap slicks to fit!)
Rolls saddle, up-side down North road bars, Dia-Compe 188 lever, Onza HO, blah, blah, blah....

The cheapest bike I have ever owned, and the most fun, especialy watching the guys in the warehouse riding "fixed" for the first time!

Later

Alex

See less See more
#3 ·
I like the left hand drive.

Did you do anything special other than turn the wheel around and swap the crank arms? Can I try this at home? Find yourself smacking the chainring with your left leg more?

Next step of course would be to have a chainring and a cog on both sides.

#4 ·
Ichabod said:
Did you do anything special other than turn the wheel around and swap the crank arms? Can I try this at home? Find yourself smacking the chainring with your left leg more?

You can try this at home...but they are tandem x-over cranks! This means the pedal threads are still L on the left, if you just fit a std pair of cranks back to front the pedals will (might) unscrew themselves!

Other than that the build is as normal (as normal as I get any way!)

The bars are great, might double tape the straight section. I like rearward swept bars....which is why I like WTB Dirt Drops and Jones H-bars so much.

Later

Alex

#5 ·
yeah, double side drive

Ichabod said:

I agree. Put a regular drive side crank and try to go double drive. I think the hub is flip flop. Never seen anyone do that.
I like the bike, but agree that the bars just look wrong on that thing. LIke they would catch under your knees while turning and pedaling or something. I think you should flip them so they are cruiser style, and then mount a seat on them for doubling chicks around. Then do the whole SS world champs course with a cute chick in a miniskirt on the bow.

#7 ·
jh_on_the_cape said:
I like the bike, but agree that the bars just look wrong on that thing. Like they would catch under your knees while turning and pedaling or something........Then do the whole SS world champs course with a cute chick in a miniskirt on the bow.
The bars clear my knees fine, but I might trim them for aesthetic reasons! :rolleyes:

Like the idea of a cute chick on the bars....not sure how much my girlfriend would like it! :(

The Ute will be ridden at the worlds, but if anyone is a bike short..... :D

Alex

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.