My New El Mariachi- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009

My New El Mariachi

Finally got around to taking some pictures of my new Single Speed El Mariachi. I will say, after a couple rides, its definately stiffer than my SIR9, but its also much faster. It accelerates much quicker out of corners. Its going to make a great race platform for next year. Moving to Single Speed class. Love it. Cannot get enough of it.

2011 El Mariachi Large Frame
    Rock Shox Reba RLT 100mm
    Cane Creek S3 Headset
    Niner Flat Carbon Bar
    Truvativ Stylo Stem
    Lizard Skins custom grips
    Truvativ Stylo Seatpost
    Sette Seat
    Stans ZTR Crest Wheels
    Schwalbe Racing Ralph Tires - tubeless
    Truvativ Stylo Crankset - 32
    XT Pedals
    SRAM chain
    Surly cog - currently 19t, but run a 20 or 18 depending on terrain
    Avid BB7 Brakes

Right now its sits at around 24lbs. I've got some heavy parts on it and over time could trim another pound or so out of the bike. Its taking some getting used to since the geometry is slightly different and the ride quality is different. I've had some bad creaking coming from the bottom bracket area, but I think I've got it fixed. It apparently was cheap aluminum chain ring bolts. I swapped those out and will be riding it later today to see if that was the problem. I have to admit, I will miss the smooth comfy ride of my SIR9, BUT I will trade out a quiet and responsive ride any day!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My New El Mariachi-img_0550.jpg  

My New El Mariachi-img_0551.jpg  

My New El Mariachi-img_0554.jpg  

My New El Mariachi-img_0555.jpg  

Last edited by AGrant; 11-10-2011 at 12:59 PM.
    "...quit hitting me with your hammer"
    http://tricountymtb.org/
    Niner EMD 1x10 ~ Niner SIR9 SS ~ Cannondale Scalpel Si

Teen Wolf
    nice ride

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Rotate the last two pictures please.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Nice ride.
    24#s with mechanical brakes and a shock sounds pretty good to me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2 View Post
    Nice ride.
    24#s with mechanical brakes and a shock sounds pretty good to me.
    Its the wheels and tires that get it down there. They take 3.5 lbs off my other set of wheels and tires. Makes the bike ride completely different too - in a good way. My goal is 23#! I can get there with a carbon post, better crank, SLR saddle, and hydro brakes. But funds are limited right now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Nice ride, I was giving serious thought to starting a niner SIR single speed build and just last night was looking at the salsa el mariachi's. I'm thinking this might just be the frame for my build when I'm ready to start (which prob won't be for awhile), I'm looking for a quick/fast/responsive/quiet ride and it sounds like it might have that going for it over the niner.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrant View Post
    Its the wheels and tires that get it down there. They take 3.5 lbs off my other set of wheels and tires. Makes the bike ride completely different too - in a good way. My goal is 23#! I can get there with a carbon post, better crank, SLR saddle, and hydro brakes. But funds are limited right now.
    Another way to loose a pound is to skip dessert; that'll save ya money!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by danraley41 View Post
    Nice ride, I was giving serious thought to starting a niner SIR single speed build and just last night was looking at the salsa el mariachi's. I'm thinking this might just be the frame for my build when I'm ready to start (which prob won't be for awhile), I'm looking for a quick/fast/responsive/quiet ride and it sounds like it might have that going for it over the niner.
    Now, the SIR is a SA-WEET riding frame. That Reynolds 853 is hard to beat. But the EBB is just a pain to deal with. I know alot of people are happy with theirs and alot of people have had nothing but problems. I had nothing but problems. I'm a HUGE Niner fan. I race a Niner EMD 1x9 and love it. The geometry is darn near perfect. I just could not stand the creaking coming from the EBB.

But, like I said, I think the El Mar is quicker on acceleration. It just feels like a faster bike. But alot of folks race the SIR9 too. Its could just be a happy toss up or tie.

Oh, and skipping desert is not an option. I have a bad sweet tooth!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Now, the SIR is a SA-WEET riding frame. That Reynolds 853 is hard to beat. But the EBB is just a pain to deal with. I know alot of people are happy with theirs and alot of people have had nothing but problems. I had nothing but problems. I'm a HUGE Niner fan. I race a Niner EMD 1x9 and love it. The geometry is darn near perfect. I just could not stand the creaking coming from the EBB.

But, like I said, I think the El Mar is quicker on acceleration. It just feels like a faster bike. But alot of folks race the SIR9 too. Its could just be a happy toss up or tie.

Oh, and skipping desert is not an option. I have a bad sweet tooth!
    Yeh that EBB is a concern I had when I was thinking of trying to wor on building a Niner, I agree the Geo on the frame looks great though. I want the least amount of maintenance possible and (one of my loves of single speed other than they are just fun) and I've heard the EBB on the Niner is more maintenance intensive and I can not stand a creaky sounding bike so that would probably bother me. From a comestic standpoint I love the colors of the Niner's more the Tangerine, Kermit Green and the Raw Glow all look sweet from the pics of some of the builds I've seen, but your El Mar is pretty sweet looking and I dig it, so I could def be happy with that I think and I'm more concerned with function of cosmetics anyways....but it's gotta look good, especially for that kind of $$$ lol.

mtbr member
    Love that color...!!!! Is it charcoal metallic?
    Anyhow ,it's better than the blue they make it now...

I don't understand why so few color options on frames...

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndog45 View Post
    Love that color...!!!! Is it charcoal metallic?
    Anyhow ,it's better than the blue they make it now...

I don't understand why so few color options on frames...
    I agree, they def need more/better colors having such sweet frames, I really do not like the new blue they have now, it kinda turns me off of their frames somewhat, but I've heard they are such sweet riding bikes just like OP says, fast and responsive.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by danraley41 View Post
    I agree, they def need more/better colors having such sweet frames, I really do not like the new blue they have now, it kinda turns me off of their frames somewhat, but I've heard they are such sweet riding bikes just like OP says, fast and responsive.
    The blue and black are 2011 models.
    2012's have a green you might want to check out.

FWIW I LOVE the blue on my El Mar. It's just weird, this is the first time I ever heard anyone not like that color.
    But hey, different strokes

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hallowedpoint View Post
    The blue and black are 2011 models.
    2012's have a green you might want to check out.

FWIW I LOVE the blue on my El Mar. It's just weird, this is the first time I ever heard anyone not like that color.
    But hey, different strokes
    Ahhh I had not seen the green, kinda like that more than the blue and before I decide to make that kind of investment I'm going to try and find some to see in personif I can. Unfortuantely we do not have the best of shops in my area of Florida, they mostly carry "Big" name bikes and few if any SS's, it sucks lol. And FWIW the blue is not terrible I just for some reason am more drawn to the neon orange's, greens like Niner has and white and raw colored frames too. I'd love to build one in one of those colors with a white fork and white accessories (grips, seat, cables) I think it'd make sweet looking ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Yes, its Charcoal Metallic. Its a 2011. In 2011 they made 2 colors. Blue (different blue than 2012) and charcoal. The kicker is that the blue is only offered in a frame and the charcoal is only offered in a full geared bike. Kinda stupid if you ask me, but it is what it is.

I found mine on a recent trip to Indianapolis. The bike shop had no problem stripping the parts off the bike and selling me only the frame, headset, and sp collar. It makes for a stellar singlespeed with red accents!

I had my first night ride on it last night. Still some creaking from the bottom bracket that's got me baffled, but I'm pretty sure its now down to worn out bearings. Its an old crank from a previous bike. I'll keep searching for the source of the popping.

singletrack bound

bingo!!!

been on mine for six months now and really like the ride!

23lb 8oz as seen here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My New El Mariachi-cell-phone-pics-024.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Love the mariachis

mtbr member

To the OP...

Nice ride!. Thanks for the SIR, EL Mariachi comparison. Thats the kind of feed back I always hope for, how do they ride. People love the Salsa's but you put it into words why. There really is nothing like ss. I ride my production framed bikes more than my customs because the customs are geared and I have become addicted to ss'ing. One rigid, one with a shock.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

web-footed pedaler
    Aug 2011
    Nice looking bike. What do you think of the Alternator dropouts? How are they to set up and how well do they stay in place? Do they allow any flex (ie. does the disc rotor rub when you're standing on a climb)?

singletrack bound

not to mention

how easy the swinger drop outs work. No ebb to deal with. release your rear skewer and the wheel drops right out!
    I'm considering building a geared rear wheel and doing a convert to 1x9 just to see how difficult or easy it would be to switch from SS to geared!
    wheel/shifter/cable/housing/chain/derailleur/36T ring
    done!

Bro Mountainbiker
    What do you weigh? My crest wheels are everything but responsive. I can hardly ride in a straight line with them.

Really nice bike. I bet it rides well.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

singletrack bound

Op....

not sure but salsa has the seat post clamp facing forward. You may not be getting a clean clamp on your seat post. Could this be the creaking you are getting?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Ant-Eater View Post
    Nice looking bike. What do you think of the Alternator dropouts? How are they to set up and how well do they stay in place? Do they allow any flex (ie. does the disc rotor rub when you're standing on a climb)?
    Alternator dropouts are awesome. I've not had any issues with them yet and I've ridden it pretty hard so far. Climbing fast (as fast as I can), hard pushing on the fast twisty stuff, etc. They have not slipped at all.

I'll try to comment on the other posts as well:

I am at 175 right now and I've yet to have any issues with the Crest wheels. I've had them trued once after they settled in, but other than that, they have been bullet proof. Now, I'm not all that excited about the engagement. It could be faster, especially on a single speed, but fast engagement costs more money...I9! They are stiff both vertically and laterally but not harsh. I'm running them tubeless with Racing Ralphs and they really hook up well except for in the sloppy stuff.

As for the creaking, we tightened up the bottom bracket cups real good and 99.9% of it is gone. The remaining bit is coming from the rear end. I tightened up the skewer and it took out a little more of it. Single Speed drivetrains take ALOT of abuse, so I guess expecting them to be perfectly quiet all the time is a stretch. But, I have had some other suggestions, like the seat post clamp, along with greasing the spacers and cog real good that I will try next. A good bath and re-grease all around may do some good too.

Thanks for all the positive comments. Its a great bike and its going to make a great race platform. Rode it 25 miles yesterday and it was a leg killer of a ride but it felt great!

mtbr member
    Beautiful bike....
    Salsa Timberjack SS
    -Gears give me headaches

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage of the Sage View Post
    Beautiful bike....
    Thanks. So far I really like it. Its fast and responsive.

mtbr member
    Like the El Mar a lot !! You said in your op: "its definately stiffer than my SIR9, but... etc". What I really would like to know is how the ride of your EMD compares with the El Mar? Is the El Mar still a lot smoover then the EMD and ranked between the SIR and the EMD towards compliance? I'm thinking of building up an EMD, ss and rigid, but the El Mariachi is stil in sight also. With the EMD frame I could save some weight.
    What are your thoughts on the compliance between the EMD and the El Mariachi??

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by OxRocks View Post
    Like the El Mar a lot !! You said in your op: "its definately stiffer than my SIR9, but... etc". What I really would like to know is how the ride of your EMD compares with the El Mar? Is the El Mar still a lot smoover then the EMD and ranked between the SIR and the EMD towards compliance? I'm thinking of building up an EMD, ss and rigid, but the El Mariachi is stil in sight also. With the EMD frame I could save some weight.
    What are your thoughts on the compliance between the EMD and the El Mariachi??
    Sorry its taken me so long to respond. Got Busy. Anyway...El Mar vs EMD? Hmmm...

Well, First I would say they are totally different bikes. Both 29ers but very different. I LOVE my EMD. Its just fast and responsive. I love riding it. But its my geard bike and I'm doing the whole SS thing now. The El Mar IS definately stiffer than my SIR9. The SIR9 is just like riding butter. But I can't handle the EBB. The El Mar still rides like steel. Its just a much more responsive steel frame than the SIR9 as for acceleration. The El Mar is really a fast bike. Case in point...I ran our race loop the other night faster than I did on our recent race (on my geared bike) and half the loop was in the dark with lights. Its a really fast bike.

Now, this is only my preference, but if I'm gonna ride a SS, its got to be steel. I would never build up an EMD as a SS. Its not what its made for...plus steel just makes a better SS to me...my opinion only. As for compliance and ride quality. The EMD is not a harsh riding bike by any means because of the way its made. Its a 29er frist. Then Niner uses the S-bend seat and chain stays which smooths out the rear end. Its really a dream riding aluminum bike. Like I said, I love mine. The way I've got it set up, its fits me like a glove.

Its hard to compare the El Mar and EMD just because they are so different. My advise..if you want SS, get the El Mar or SIR9 (if you can get one that does not creak). But then again, my El Mar is still creaking. But working on it.

Hope this helps. Oh yeah...go ride each one if you can...that will tell you the most.

mtbr member
    Sorry its taken me so long to respond. Got Busy. Anyway...
    No problem at all.

I've been thinking a lot these days :
    I am looking to build up a rigid 29er SSer with the possibilty to run it geared. In fact the El Mariachi was always on top of my list (together with the SIR). However, the reason I was thinking about the EMD recently was that I can get a very nice deal on a new 2011 frame (and like the frame weight). But on the other hand, I am a dedicated SS-er and what bothers me on the EMD is that I would have to add some kind of chain tensioner (magic gear doesn't always work 100% because of chain wear). Like also the simplicity of the alternators on the Mariachi.

To make a long story short: I will do 95(+)% of SS-ing, so why buy a frame which is actually meant for gears? Therefore I'm back at the El Mariachi because I think it will be the most versatile frame for me a this moment. I will try to lose some weight on the "rotating mass" (lightweight but strong-enough-wheelset, will do good for acceleration/agility imho) and perhaps add a few "less"weight parts on the bike to keep the overall weight acceptable.
    So, your reply roughly confirms what I was thinking... and yes, SS and steel are a perfect match!

The SIR was very high on my list (though bit expensive) and really will become my wannahave-dream-frame when Niner hopefully will produce a SIR-frame with a paragon slider-ish solution in the future! Cheers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    You will be very pleased with the El Mar. Post it up when you get it.