Thread: My new build

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

My new build

My first SS

I have Scott Scale LTD 07 and have been riding for about 6 months now. I just stumbled into the SS forum, started reading and It was all positive about SS.

So I got my 90's bike - a mongoose aluminum frame and painted it. Since I was not sure I was going to like SS, I just used all the old parts and put a rigid fork to keep the cost down. I bought an old XT crank from a friend so I could change rings. I'm using 32x17 (Salsa x Surly) with KMC 3/32 ordinary Z72 chain, Planning to get the Z610HX.

The bike is a bit heavy at 23 pounds compared to my Scale which is only 17.5 pounds. I'll use the SS to train.

Brought it out for the first time yesterday and it was like 2x the effort compared to the Geared Scale. I loved it though! I had a full body work out as I used my arms when climbing. It's so simple, so nice.

I'm planning to take it out again tomorrow to the same route. As of now, I can see I'll be using this more than the Scale but I hope not too loose interest in Geared bike as I just got a new Spark and should be in this week.

I'm already thinking of upgrades to my SS, maybe carbon handle bars, seat post, new wheelset and brakes maybe.

What are the best parts to upgrade to? Will this parts just be the same for Geared bikes? I was thinking Mavic SLR wheelsets, Avid Single Digit SL brakes. I don't want to make it too light thought as it will not serve it's purpose as a training bike anymore.

Cheers!

Francis
    Attached Images Attached Images

Full Tilt Boogie
    May 2005
    A nice carbon fork and wheels is where I would start. Those would help add comfort and weight savings, (ie, a lot!) Its a nice build to start with, but you'll see more improvement in changing out those parts to lighter ones than you ever will with lighter brakes.
    I sell bikes here. Check out the Blog here. Facebook.

Ghostdog
    Great Looking Ride!

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    That's a great looking bike and would never consider a 23 bike to be a heavyweight...

Once you get your ss legs that 23 pound bike is going to feel a lot lighter.
    I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

-Environmental stickers don't mean shite when they are stuck to CARS!-

Members who have read this thread: 0